Forteresse
Thèmes pour la Rébellion

by Gameofmetal STAFF
November 14th, 2017 | 58 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What the hell is a "Lower Canada Rebellion"? Is it a sandwich?

Forteresse have to be one of the most relentless black metal acts to come out of ‘Merica’s not-as-great-but-still-pretty-ok northern sibling. I don’t mean that in the same way one might describe another of Canada’s exports, war metal trailblazers Blasphemy, or really any of the old second wave Norwegian acts. They don’t hammer you over the head with raw, bludgeoning riffs. They, in point of fact, hammer you over the head with semi-cleanly produced, blazing, harmonized tremolo riffs. It’s a minor difference when you take a step back, but there is something unique in their approach. Thèmes Pour la Rébellion is atmospheric black metal that doesn’t really bother to shoehorn in some generic ambient bits in between the screams and riffs to give it that “atmospheric” qualifier. The harmonized leads and “epic” feeling behind the melodies make it seem as much an atmospheric black metal album as many things listed in the genre. Forteresse essentially packaged up about thirty seven minutes of unstoppable melodic black metal, no gimmicks or tricks to be found. What’s more, no one is complaining.

As much of a wall of sound as these tracks can feel like, it’s the guitars that do most of the heavy lifting on Thèmes Pour la Rébellion. With the exception of the brief introductory track “Aube de 1837” and the shockingly calm closer “La Dernier Voyage”, the remaining six tracks are all packed to the brim with unending riffs and stupefyingly catchy leads. As much as it’s essentially the same thing for a little over half an hour, it’s amazing how little that seems to matter in the grand scheme of things. The tremolos and shrieks and relentless beats (credit to drummer Fiel who can only be an android as no mortal man can keep up with this many consecutive tremolo riffs) keep coming and I keep eating them up. Their acclaimed debut can boast of being more dynamic in its juxtaposition of Canadian folk with Forteresse’ trademark black metal, but someone thankfully told them the folk parts sucked at some point so they decided to overload us with the metal parts. Just when Thèmes Pour la Rébellion would have really started to overstay its welcome, Forteresse throw up a big middle finger at everyone and make the closing track completely black metal-less and totally full up on ambient samples and atmospheric keys just to make me sound dumb for complimenting them on their straightforward approach to atmo black metal. If I wasn’t sure that these French-Canadian secessionists didn’t give a *** what I thought about them, then I’m damn sure now.

Battle Dagorath II - Frozen Light of Eternal DarknessWolves in the Throne Room Thrice Woven
Dayseeker Dreaming is Sinking /// Waking is RisingThe Acacia Strain Gravebloom
Twilight Fauna The Year the Stars FellGhost Bath Starmourner

Métal Noir Québécois

First entry in the black metal November, December, January and forever thingy

ended up being a little memey, maybe that's a good thing

Dinosaur
November 13th 2017

Just listened to this today, actually. Nice write up!

zaruyache
November 13th 2017

Oh hey a review for this one? thx Game pos'd

let us rebel friends

ShadowRemains

this is p good

good album

Xenophanes
November 14th 2017

I think I remember enjoying this

Digging: Godflesh - Post Self

their live album released this year is prob in my top 5 of '17

SCREAM!
November 14th 2017

will have to check that one^^

linguist2011
November 14th 2017

Remember enjoying this album last year. Like you say, more or less straightforward for its style throughout, but definitely consistent stuff and the band manage to pull it off in 37 minutes. If it was any longer than, say, 50 minutes, I may have had a problem.

Digging: Aosoth - V: The Inside Scriptures

Egarran
November 15th 2017

Those cannon drums.

Good album but damn it's straightfoward.

Digging: Mesarthim - .- -?.?.?. .?.?. . -. -?.?-?. .

necropig
November 15th 2017

Nice to see it's reviewed

Digging: Chaos Moon - Eschaton Mmoire

Hawks

51983 Comments

I've only heard the debut and it's pretty sweet. Def gotta jam this one.

Digging: Gamma Ray - Land of the Free

November 16th 2017

they're very consistent across their discography hawks, worth working through it

Hawks

51983 Comments

Cool will check this within the next few days.

Itwasthatwas
November 16th 2017

Yeah, this is great. Great melodies, good atmosphere, very consistent across its runtime

Wizard

20128 Comments

Hawks, how have you never listened to these guys?

Evokaphile
November 16th 2017

Gotta jam this asap. That first sentence of your review is absolutely cringeworthy though.

Digging: Slowdive - Slowdive

November 16th 2017

I use staff powers to banish thee

Rekt

Anthracks
November 17th 2017

considering how much of a stir this album caused last year it's so funny how little interest there is in the new album lol

Digging: Anima Damnata - Nefarious Seed...