Electric Six
How Dare You

by turnip90210 USER (70 Reviews)
November 7th, 2017 | 4 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A pit of money or a pit of despair?

Upon finishing my first go through How Dare you, I had no desire to go back for seconds. For the first time in Electric Six's release history, absolutely nothing stuck out as worth revisiting. Given the realm of pure bombast the band chose to dwell in, a lack of an impression is a death sentence for a record. Repeated exposure did little to amend the issue. The best material on here ("Chicken Wine", "Arrive Alive", "Routine Cocooning") sounds like filler from a decade ago justly left on the cutting room floor, and the worst offenders feel like the band robotically checking off past clichés for the purpose of clocking up run time. The only redeemable feature comes in the form of ambitious instrumental performances, with ample guitar leads, complex bass parts and juicy synth flourishes. This sort of stuff needs a sturdy foundation to elevate into the echelons though, it can't carry a record by itself. I guess this is what being a constant release fixture since 2005, plus drumming up the project rate as time goes by, does to you. All it took was a simple "return to roots" style album to show just how thin the band spread itself over the years. Never fear, for 2018 will see an Electric Six Christmas album (an admission of creative moribundity if there ever was one), a third live album, this time acoustic for good measure, the inevitable studio record, and hell knows what else they feel like doing.

The most fitting coda to this brief write-up comes in the form of the closing lyrics to "The Hotel Mary Chang". Observe as the track takes a turn from uninspired logorrhoea to an unexpected dark place. An earnest, powerless confession or yet another layer of irony" Given the fact the restless frontman's most recent solo venture is a Patreon offering PCP ASMR and financial domination advice, I'm not sure even he knows.

"Why am I checking in here"
‘Cos I accumulated points and got a deal
So why do I have to stay here"
At the Hotel Mary Chang nothing is real, nothing is real
Why do I waste away here"
Because my heart and soul stopped working long ago
So why do I face the fear here"
At the Hotel Mary Chang it’s all I know, it’s all I know"

Paraxism 1998 DemoEven Rude Superabsorbent
Paraxism Promo '97Mind Riot Come Undone
Torres Three FuturesFlaw United We Stand

turnip90210
November 7th 2017

I borked the album when adding it to the database somehow, sorry about that. Edit submitted.

The fan base is lapping this one up happily, but to my ears it feels like the well dried up for good.

conditionals
December 28th 2017

You know, your amazing Electric Six reviews were the reason I found Sputnik.

Haven't listened to this yet, but I'm not exactly foaming at the mouth to do so. I liked Tyred Vampires a bit more than any of their recent releases, but I still think after such a great string of yearly output that E6's best days are sadly behind them.

Kalopsia
January 4th 2018

haven't listen to these guys since Kill... and that album "kill"ed my interest forever in them /puns

well at least their first three albums are solid

conditionals
January 7th 2018

^ Holy shit, you are totalling missing out on their best album, Zodiac. It came right after Kill, which I didn't like either.

All the rest after that (with the possible exception of Heartbeats and Brainwaves) are totally skippable though.