Inconcessus Lux Lucis
The Crowning Quietus

by Jacquibim STAFF
November 6th, 2017 | 45 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Rock out with your cock out.

I have a habit of dismissing albums and bands based on superficialities. When music is coming out at a rate thousands of times faster than I can hear it, a Latin band name and a black-and-white cover adorned with a skeleton doesn't really have me exclaiming, “I bet there's something novel being done here”. It was by sheer chance that I happened to stalk Invictus Production's Bandcamp page and gave The Crowning Quietus' title-track a gander, and since then I've been kicking myself, realising that I had an advanced copy of this thing for a fucking month.

Better late than never, I guess. Inconcessus Lux Lucis are essentially the bastard child of Motörhead and Iron Maiden, if that child developed an unhealthy fixation with the occult. Every single track on their latest album is filled to the brim with riffs that invoke the heavy metal giants of the '80s, as well as those of black metal's second wave. The marriage of these styles has been done before, obviously, but seldom have I heard it pulled off with such poise. There is no gimmicky to-and-fro; each riff, despite their varied lineage, leads into the next as though Motörhead and Darkthrone shared some kind of kinship that they weren't even aware of. All the while, Inconcessus deliver everything with the kind of zeal that propelled their Norwegian likeness into the elite echelons of the underground that immortalised them.

So what separates them from the legions of acts that venerate the past" First and foremost, Inconcessus are keen to reshape the template they're given, not necessarily as far as technique is concerned, but more so in terms of presentation and form. Their penchant for longer compositions that steadily evolve and build to a climax is apparent during the final three tracks. As such, the second half of the album feels like a journey, adamantly steering clear of rock opera's pomposity as well as the pretence of prog along the way. Nevertheless, these guys do wear their influences on their sleeves. There's even a sense of beer-swilled catharsis during the latter-half of closer “Fever Upon The Firmament” which – at the risk of forfeiting what metal cred I have left at this point – channels Iron Maiden so well that it may even be a blackened cover of some Bruce and co. track that I've forgotten I'd heard.

Secondly and more importantly, these guys are fun. Despite the apparent seriousness and blackened style, there's nothing too austere about the atmosphere they conjure. Instead, you simply feel as though you're in the same room as them, shoulder-to-shoulder with like-minded outcasts and practically leaning on the stage. Producer Tore Stjerna's work behind the console is priceless in this respect. The tightness of the performances is on full display thanks to an overall sound that is clear, punchy and dynamic, but also bare and visceral; as such, the musicianship can be dissected and enjoyed at the same time. Malphas' melodic solos are fit for a stadium without being flashy, whilst his rhythm work is fevered, if not infectious enough in its galloping to keep one enthralled, second-by-second.

A jack of all trades it would seem, Malphas also handles vocals and – but for a smattering of spoken word here and there – sticks to a throaty howl. Perhaps this is why everything congeals together so well, as most of the instrumentals are written along the same thought patterns, by the same person. Of course, bands dominated by a single member can churn out some rather stilted material, so it's worth noting any creative delegation on the part of Baal, the bassist. Whatever chemistry the two happen to have, it's paying dividends. In some ways, The Crowning Quietus trumps its ancestors, melding aesthetics as if they were simply meant to be. That alone amounts to quite a bit, but it's the irreverent sense of joy that will keep me coming back to this thing. Some bands just get it, and Inconcessus Lux Lucis are one in a million.

Archspire Relentless MutationVacivus Temple Of The Abyss
Inanimate Existence Underneath a Melting SkyIncantation Profane Nexus
Impetuous Ritual Blight Upon Martyred SentienceSuffocation …Of the Dark Light

not quite AOTY level but prob top 5 m/m/ I've heard this year

birb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZWTEcaOT88

stream below the 'view, enjoy!

November 6th 2017

one of the better black metal bands these days

November 6th 2017

i'd say their influence is more Mercyful Fate though than Motorhead and Iron Maiden

November 6th 2017

Didn't consider Mercyful Fate, they're definitely in the mix as well. You heard this yet?

November 6th 2017

I haven't yet, but if it's anything like their previous stuff it's gonna be a hell of a time

ScuroFantasma
November 6th 2017

Sweet review Jac, I'm sold with that second to last para, the promise of fun is one I can't pass up.

Digging: Russkaja - Energia!

cryptologous

dicks out

Elynna
November 6th 2017

Love this band, can't wait to check this out.

Digging: Ling Tosite Sigure - i'mperfect

brainmelter
November 6th 2017

I never don't rock out with my cock out

Digging: Options - Driftwood Metaphor

Essence
November 6th 2017

this is what i wanted arctic thunder to be

clavier

did you say...fun?

November 6th 2017

that comment combined with your avatar's expression gave me a hearty lel

Sinternet

gayest name ever

DungeonBoy

Amour Rides Upon Midnight was a great track, excited to jam this whole thing

zaruyache
November 6th 2017

need more bm jams this year. gonna check so hopefully i dig this.

kingdedethefifth
November 6th 2017

Awesome review Jac! This sounds like it fuckin' jamz.

south_of_heaven 11
November 6th 2017

Stopped reading there, immediately pulled up on youtube, thoroughly enjoying as I type.

Agree there is more of a Mercyful Fate influence though. Still good.

Digging: RAM - Rod

Dewinged
November 6th 2017

So much Maiden on this review. I am jamming this.

Digging: Motorpsycho - The Tower

Conmaniac
November 7th 2017

19702 Comments

solid review but you have quite a way of coming up with the worst summaries I've ever seen

Aerisavion