Cannibal Corpse
Red Before Black

by brettgoespunk USER (19 Reviews)
November 5th, 2017 | 177 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Perfectly familiar

What band has one of the strongest vocalists, some of the best rhythm guitarists, arguably the best bassist, and one of the most hugely innovative and influential drummers in all of their genre" If you said Iron Maiden then, well you wouldn’t really be wrong, but in this case we’re talking about the colossal and top-of-the-human-food-chain death metal band, Cannibal Corpse. They really need no introduction. They’ve been one of the best, most consistent, and well known bands in the death metal scene for nearly the last 30 years. They’re honestly one of the few big bands who remains doing death metal the way that it was when it started. While to some, that’s the biggest turn off musically, to many others this is all they could possible ask for. So have Cannibal Corpse delivered the bloody, gruesome, meaty slab of metal that their fans crave oh so much"

This album isn’t much different than anything that anyone would expect from the band. George “Corpsegrinder” Fisher sounds just as monstrous and in your face as he ever has. He’s simply one of the greatest, and most consistent vocalists in all of death metal and even metal as a whole. The only real complaint in the vocal department would be that some of the vocal patterns feel a little awkward, which is a bit disappointing. Some of the biggest selling points of Cannibal Corpse bangers - many times - are the catchy vocal patterns. Though this isn’t George’s fault whatsoever, as the rest of the band writes lyrics and vocal patterns. There are plenty of fun catchy lines to sing along to as well, though (the outro to “Heads Shoveled Off” comes to mind). One small vocal tidbit worth mentioning comes from the song “Remaimed”. In the second verse, Corpsegrinder throws in a line where he growls lower than his usual mid to low range, going into the Ross Dolan (Immolation) territory. But otherwise, if you were expecting anything but the gnarliest vocals in death metal, than look elsewhere.

In the instrumental departments, the band is as tight as they’ve ever been. Guitarists and bassist Rob Barrett, Pat O’Brien, and Alex Webster (respectively) haven’t burnt out from writing chuggy, de-tuned and frantic riffs/lines. A few standouts lie in the verse to the [typically] crushing album opener, “Only One Will Die”, the intro to “Shedding My Human Skin”, the chorus/bridge to “In the Midst of Ruin” and the entirety of slamming track “Corpus Delicti”. All of this is, naturally, complimented by the apocalyptic drumming of Paul Mazurkiewicz. There isn’t anything particularly that stands out in the drum department, by Paul’s standards of course. You can’t go wrong with the father of the bomb blast. He’s a phenomenal drummer, with some of the most consistently blistering speed, but we have come to expect this from Mr. Mazurkiewicz, so nothing jumps out at the listener as being surprising or unprecedented.

So what have Cannibal Corpse done this time around to really prove that they are worth the hype" They wrote a Cannibal Corpse record, and it ***ing rules. It’s that simple. Yeah, it gets monotonous towards the end, no it’s not complex lyrically. The songs are about cutting people’s heads off with shovels and slashing people up to sell for meat and all of that fun stuff. But that’s what these guys have done best since 1988. There are nice little touches here and there; like backup vocals from long-time producer/Hate Eternal vocalist Erik Rutan. Do we really want anything else but Cannibal Corpse from Cannibal Corpse" It might be standard, it might be simple on the surface, but the truth is these guys do death metal better than almost anyone in the game; now and since 1990 (or arguably ‘91). So shut up, sit down, and sink your teeth into this bloody, gruesome, and meaty slab of metal that you couldn’t ask for any other way, served un-cooked to perfection.

Thy Art Is Murder Dear DesolationIncantation Profane Nexus
Oceans Ate Alaska HikariFit for an Autopsy The Great Collapse
Charred Walls of the Damned Creatures Watching Over the DeadBuddy Rich Birdland

ianblxdsoe
November 5th 2017

strong last sentence my man, pos. love how much you’ve improved ;-)

Voivod
November 5th 2017

Album's brutal, and although CC's stubborn decline in becoming more technical/progressive (even though they can!!) irks me, I always end up liking them for what they actually bring on the table.

A solid 3.5+ for me.

Digging: Fleurety - The White Death

Jacquibim
November 5th 2017

heads shoveled off goes pretty ham

demigod!

disappointing cover art

Digging: NoMeansNo - Wrong

BlackwaterPork

Nice one lad, pos

Digging: CunninLynguists - Oneirology

brettgoespunk
November 5th 2017

The cover art is cool imo, but not nearly as great as some others. I mean KILL kinda sucked too. And Skeletal was a little meh. I like this one more than skeletal for sure

Evokaphile
November 5th 2017

Hell yeah sweet review. Album slays for days!

Digging: Chaos Moon - Eschaton Mmoire

TheClansman95
November 5th 2017

cover art is cool. Album rules. It's surprising how they still manage to deliver great music after 30 years of career.

November 5th 2017

I'm enjoying this a bunch so far

Willie
November 5th 2017

I was a big fan of their progression from Kill through A Skeletal Domain -- slightly technical and diverse. Every song on A Skeletal Domain had its own sound and feeling. You could listen to the album and know what song was playing almost instantly. This one just kind of blends together. It's definitely not bad, but way too two dimensional compared to the last few.

Digging: Adimiron - Et Liber Eris

TheSonomaDude

1 star for every riff

That slow groove in Only One Will Die is goddamn killer

linguist2011
November 5th 2017

First two songs are ace, but unfortunately everything after that ranges from so-so to decent for me.

Digging: Aosoth - V: The Inside Scriptures

Really? Heads Shovelled Off is one of the best here imo

linguist2011
November 5th 2017

Yeah I mean I lost interest when the second half started, "Only Onw will Die" and the title track are absolute bangers though.

JayEnder
November 5th 2017

In the Midst of Ruin is the best song on here guys. C'mon.

Also, awesome review man. Good read.

Digging: Ghost Atlas - All Is In Sync, and There's Nothing Left to Sing

Hawks

51983 Comments

Damn these guys have just gotten better with age. This fucking rips so hard.

Digging: Gamma Ray - Land of the Free

MayhemWithMercy

Seriously is that Rick from Rick and Morty on the cover

DarkSideOfLucca
November 5th 2017

This album fucking rules so goddamn hard, I've been searching far and wide for this vinyl but three goddamn stores around me didn't have it in stock.

Need to write my own review for this beast.

HEEEAAADDDDSSSS

SSHHHOOVVVVEEELLLLEEEDDDD

OOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Hawks

51983 Comments

Yeah it really is fantastic. Riffs for fucking days man.