Left Behind
Blessed by the Burn

by Kenneth Timper USER (15 Reviews)
November 3rd, 2017 | 15 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Blessed by the Groove

If 2016’s Seeing Hell merely gazed into the abyssal depths, then Blessed by the Burn plunges headfirst into the inferno. Fresh on the heels of their full-length debut, Left Behind return one year later with another thick slice of southern-fried metalcore. Blessed by the Burn smothers its listeners with chunky sludge-laden grooves and hammering breakdowns. Vocalist Zachary Hatfield’s personal, and at times, heart-wrenching lyrics coupled with his ferocious delivery make this album one of the year’s most potent metal releases.

Blessed by the Burn stampedes through ten songs of hardcore meets southern-fried metal in a brisk thirty minutes. “Focus on the Flesh” opens with an almost danceable rhythm before the bass segues the song into its crushing doomier segment. Sinister riffs pulsate through “Paranoid” and smolder into a sluggish landslide. The album’s title track encapsulates the finest of what Left Behind has to offer; gravelly basslines and crisp percussion navigate through torrents of glorious Crowbar-esque sludge.

Hatfield’s vulnerable lyricism envelopes these songs in a suffocating smog of hopelessness and heartache. Throughout the album, Hatfield recounts the process of coming to terms with his girlfriend’s suicide and learning of the abuse she suffered at the hands of her father leading up to that point. “Tough Love” snarls with unbridled rage (“you should have been the one to die”), while “Scarred Soul” somberly reflects upon her passing (“sometimes I think I died and this is hell / my soul is with you / all that’s here is the shell”).

Left Behind does not compromise quality on their sophomore album. The band polishes their formula and funnels their strengths into a more focused and gripping effort. Blessed by the Burn effectively fuses headbang-inducing grooves and soul-crushing subject matter to craft one of this year's heaviest and most compelling releases.

Candy (USA) Good To FeelSanction (NY) The Infringement of God's Plan
Invoke (NC) No Law BeyondJesus Piece Only Self
Vein ErrorzoneMouthBreather (MA) Dollmeat

LET ME TELL YA SOMETHING ABOUT HELLLLLLLL *enter riff city*

Hi everyone, just getting back from my honeymoon so I'm a bit rusty. C&c welcome and appreciated as usual. I can't put this album down.

Digging: Full of Hell - Weeping Choir

accompliceofmydeath
November 3rd 2017

I only give this one listen through and thought it was ok. I'll have to give it another run through and focus more on the lyrics.

Digging: Full of Hell - Weeping Choir

November 3rd 2017

They're not super dense or poetic, but they hit hard in certain places here. I'm a sucker for that southern groove metal style riffing, so I probably enjoyed this a lot more than most. It's leagues ahead of their first album though imo.

Jips
November 3rd 2017

This band kicks ass... I'd give Seeing Hell the edge over this. Still rules tho...

November 3rd 2017

I like Seeing Hell. Rock Bottom is an excellent song. I think on this they draw less from the Slipknot influence and lean more toward sludgey stuff.

soymilk13

February 28th 2018

ok dis hard

alienobserver
February 28th 2018

got too samey has some good cuts though

BREAKDOWNS
May 1st 2018

LLEEEEFFTT BEHIND YOU FUCKING BITCH

accompliceofmydeath
May 2nd 2018

BREAKDOWNS is a great username.

BREAKDOWNS
May 2nd 2018

thanks homie

JasonCarne
November 7th 2018

This shit is hard as nails, can't wait for their next one.

aquatichero69
December 6th 2018

Pretty dope. Saw them live in Baltimore. They rip.