Big Dumb Face
Where Is Duke Lion? He's Dead...

by DrGonzo1937 CONTRIBUTOR (148 Reviews)
October 31st, 2017 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: We're all doomed.

Duke Lion is dead. That’s right folks, he fought the forces of evil and lost. The demons rule the roost now and have spilled into our world to unleash chaos and destruction for an eternity to come. Their impending doom may have taken 16 years, but they have been kind enough to document the invasion and reign of terror by dispatching this 14-track LP onto believers and non-believers alike. The Devil’s army is courteous though: a warning is bestowed upon any brave soul who dares venture into this tale; only the strongest will survive it. Contained within this most unholy of records is skull-crushing tempos; a serenade that will melt the skin from your bones; and made complete with solos so br00tal, no mortal could hope to comprehend them. You’ll encounter metal the blackest of the black, the doomiest of the doom and thrashiest of the thrash, there is no room for respite here; its the sonic equivalent to sitting in the heart of a nuclear blast. And now that Duke Lion is out of the equation, you won’t find any of that American-folk and country here, just pure and trve death-metal -- and the occasional calypso inspired jam for when the immortal want to party. At 62 minutes, Satan’s tunes will have you holding onto your butt for the entire duration of its blasphemous and sinister ride, and I’ll be honest in saying, you probably won’t make it out alive (I didn’t). If I haven’t turned you away from the most demonic record of 2017, and you still intend to listen to the invasion, all I can suggest is tooling up before hand, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Trve rating: 666/5.

EDITIONS: DIGITAL//C̶D̶

PACKAGING: N/A

SPECIAL EDITION: N/A

Anti-Flag American FallLimp Bizkit Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water
Powerman 5000 New WaveThe Darkness Pinewood Smile
Marilyn Manson Heaven Upside DownPrimus The Desaturating Seven

2.9
good

October 31st 2017

Thought I'd have a bit of fun with this one.

Happy Halloween everyone!

Digging: Big Dumb Face - Where Is Duke Lion? He's Dead...

CaptainAaarrrggghhh
October 31st 2017

So is this sort of pure metal brutality all day long, all the time? No sudden excursions into other genres and other wacky shenanigans?

October 31st 2017

Not really, dude. This one sits on a pretty straight course -- bar the occasional calypso inspired number. Which is why I think this is a lot better than the debut tbh.

Dewinged
October 31st 2017

Lol this is amazing. Nice job Gonzo, had a good laugh.

Digging: Motorpsycho - The Tower

October 31st 2017

Cheers man. I was halfway through a more conventional review but felt, given the band, I'd experiment and have a bit of fun with it. Glad to see it's turned out half decent haha

coldheaven

I felt like I was playing Demon Souls when reading this review

Digging: Pg. 99 - Document #12

Dewinged
October 31st 2017

I did the same with that Lizzard Wizzard review I wrote last week. I mean, they are called Lizzard Wizzard.

October 31st 2017

Will have to check that out now dude

UniqueUniverse
October 31st 2017

so this just got featured, guess it means I'll listen to it now.

Digging: Jawbox - For Your Own Special Sweetheart

SandorClegane
October 31st 2017

That guy from radiohead has a guest spot on the opening track too

Ebola
October 31st 2017

I'm sorry, Duke Lion can't come to the phone right now

Aerisavion

‘Solos so br00tal’

I fucking love this review haha

Digging: The Heavy Horses - Murder Ballads & Other Love Songs

Much love Aeri.

And I didn't know that Sandor!

evilford
November 1st 2017

Grats on featch, I liked the debut, may have to check this if I ever listen to music again

November 2nd 2017

Yeah man, it's fucking great fun to listen to.

conditionals
November 6th 2017

I see we've got some troll scores here thanks to Limp Bizkit. Poor Wes

November 6th 2017

can't really believe how little interest this has. It might not be for everyone, but it has got some banging qualities to it. Definitely one of the heaviest sounding records this year for me.