Kardashev
The Almanac

by Dewinged USER (12 Reviews)
October 30th, 2017 | 57 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A fleeting journey through the ravaging secrets of the Universe.

There is something strongly alluring about The Almanac's cover, some flowers covered by ashes, a subtle portray of decay represented with a simple but stunning color palette, an unyielding sense of surrender to something brought by overwhelming destruction instead of pure and simple abandon. It is a simple and beautiful artwork for Kardashev's newest release, an album that continues the story of their 2013's EP Excipio, and that, according to the band: "It follows an unnamed traveler as he journeys through time and space. It is a story of discovery, humility, and rebirth." Dashing, isn't it"

Kardashev may be a well-known name for atmospheric and progressive black metal fans. The Arizona troupe is not new to these grounds, something that they already showed with their previous statement, Peripety, and that it’s made very clear as soon as The Almanac starts. A fantastic intro kicks things off featuring what seems to be a language written specifically for the album called "Alunea" in the opening "Prologue" while radiant synths and female vocals hover over an hypnotic and distant guitar arpeggio.

Soon after, the first track, "Beneath Sea and Sky", ominously approaches and falls like heaven on your shoulders while pounding faithfully over the initial display of clean vocals. A harmony that soon is to be consumed by threatening grumbling and screams alike, ruthless double kick and cosmic guitar bravado. (Think of a heavier version of Tesseract or The Contortionist thrown into space in a gigantic probe.) The substantial difference in quality in comparison to Peripety is astonishing. Not only the production feels meatier, but the melodies, the structure of the songs, everything in The Almanac represents a more mature, confident and worked out Kardashev.

The balance between enticing cleans and growls is counterweighted in a spirited manner. There is plenty of sheer brutality in The Almanac but it is quickly levelled with ambient passages like "Beneath Dirt and Stone" or with generous post-rock layers of guitar, keys and comforting voices.

The scope of every song is massive, relying sometimes a bit too much on merciless reverberation, which drowns some passages in a pit of interstellar weightlessness, but the constant flow between melodic sections and unwavering ferocity combined with the fair length of the 5 tracks that form The Almanac, benefit the album greatly, resulting in a marvelous aural journey into the depths of outer space.

Madonnatron MadonnatronLizzard Wizzard Total War Power Bastard
Cold Body Radiation The Orphean LyreKing Woman Created In The Image Of Suffering
Flat Earth Society IsmsEurope Out Of This World

October 29th 2017

This is one hell of a ride, folks.

They initially sold it as LP but it seems they edited the info and now it appears as EP.

Oh well.

Edit: It was always an EP and I am just dumb.

Digging: Motorpsycho - The Tower

Chortles

20842 Comments

very well done sir! pos s s s

Digging: Burger / Ink - Las Vegas

50iL
October 29th 2017

Ayyyy just listened to this today, was thinking of a review too

Pos

Aaayyy tx Chorts!

50iL thanks, go for it man! I would love to read your thoughts about it too.

Evokaphile
October 30th 2017

Sweet review man. Kardashev is pimpin

Digging: Slowdive - Slowdive

Moge
October 30th 2017

The drum production does not sound like its on an iPhone speaker in this one, yay

October 30th 2017

Glad you dig this Evok m/

That's so true Moge, I can't enjoy Peripety because of the full trebled drums.

Piripichotes
October 30th 2017

This is way better than peripety on a compositional level... isn't this an EP though?

And yeah, the drums and the bass sound cleaner than before.

Digging: Xanthochroid - Of Erthe and Axen: Act II

October 30th 2017

Yeah, seems to be an EP so I gotta correct that.

cool review Dewi!!

gonna give this a whirl when I get the chance. I forgot my headphones at work today it suuuucks

Digging: Langhorne Slim - Lost At Last, Vol 1

BlushfulHippocrene

2015 Comments

Dewi! This doesn't sound like my thing at all but nice review, keep it up.
"I forgot my headphones at work today" :c

Digging: Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights

October 30th 2017

Tx, Atari! I would have a hard time at work without my cans, hope you can power through man.

Blush, definitely not your thing ;)

butcherboy
October 31st 2017

pos of course, Dewi, nice to see you reviewing more often! album cover is a beauty..

AaroN911
October 31st 2017

this is such a journey, great review take a pos

October 31st 2017

Tx butch! The cover made me check these guys indeed, love it.

Aaron, thanks man, glad u enjoyed the ride!

November 7th 2017

Holy crap, my first feature, thanks meds!

November 7th 2017

Wow, congrats. Atmospheric bm is something I keep trying to get into but can't. But you've written a review that really makes me want to give this a listen. Maybe I'll try it at work today, if it's on Spotify.

November 7th 2017

That's awsm Nomos, thanks. I am not big into the genre myself neither but found this very pleasant for some reason. Hope you dig it!

November 7th 2017

Oh my god. I'm not even a minute into the second track. I am so glad I read this review. This is something special. I can just tell I'm going to be digging this.

November 7th 2017

Everything gutteral, everything dark or heavy, it's under a sheen of crisp, pretty production that includes clean vocals and major chords, and post-rock droning/textured strumming.

This is what I wanted Fallujah's 'Dreamless' to sound like. I like how well the cleans fit. And the high and low screams are perfect. Never a stale moment.

I heard a bit of Deafheaven in the first track too!