The Singer and the Songwriter
Directions

by InsightOut USER (31 Reviews)
October 28th, 2017 | 2 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: On Directions, The Singer and The Songwriter have ushered us into their beautiful world of being on the road and drawing inspiration from this experience.

The Singer and The Songwriter’s new EP, Directions is a collection of six songs packed with enough diversity to sustain the length of a full album.

If you regularly find yourself singing in the cosy confines of your car, then you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better soundtrack to enhance your journey experience.

The EP from the Americana folk-duo of Rachel Garcia and Thu Tran spans genres from indie folk, gospel, blues to pop. It is nicely textured, well-paced and the instrumentation is upbeat.

Most of the songs seem intent on giving the listener a feel good moment.
The lead single ‘Anywhere, Everywhere’ is a joyful road anthem that chronicles the adventures of the duo turned restless travelers in the last year, bringing their music to 79 different cities across 25 different states.

The massive choruses and intimacy on ‘Anywhere, Everywhere’ and on ‘Wild Heart’ are reminiscent of Of Monsters And Men’s debut album ‘My Head Is An Animal’.

On the bluesy ‘Worried No More’ there’s some great percussion and great guitar riffs accompanying Garcia’s powerful voice. It’s an ode to living carefree with the vocalist singing ‘’Let me tell you about my five year plan, I’m going to sing as loud as I can’’.
The EP’s most exciting track though can be found in the second half and is the complete antithesis to the rest of the EP’s upbeat nature. ‘Show Me the Mountain’ is a dark and brooding song using percussion to sharp effect, successfully turning up the intensity.