Julien Baker
Turn Out The Lights

by atrink USER (74 Reviews)
October 27th, 2017 | 18 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “Maybe it's all gonna turn out all right / Oh, I know that it's not, but I have to believe that it is”

What can be said about Julien Baker that has not already been said" The young singer/songwriter has seen a meteoric rise since 6131 Records discovered her debut album on band camp and rereleased it. With two years of relative fame and a new record label, it would not be unfathomable to believe Baker might start to crack under the pressure. Nothing could be further from the case, as with Turn out the Lights Julien improves upon nearly every aspect of her raw and personal songwriting.

On first listen Turn out the Lights is nearly flawless; each track has a similar tone and similar delivery, yet are markedly different. There seems to be a maturity in the songwriting not present on Sprained Ankle, as the lyrics are more restrained, yet just as hauntingly devastating. The album flows effortlessly between tracks, at times feeling like one monstrous track, plodding its way through depression and self-loathing. This approach, while seemingly daunting to listeners, proves itself effective through immersive emoting.

The album begins not with a bang, but with a subdued, ominous, and haunting string-based intro track that flows seamlessly into album single (and highlight) “Appointments”. This track is quintessential Baker; minimalistic instrumentation coupled with gut wrenching lyrics and with a familiarly melancholic delivery.

Nowhere is Baker’s penchant for quality minimalistic song writing present than in the album’s shortest full track “Sour Breath”. The song is as structured as simply as the rest, yet the track build and builds until the last refrain is repeated over and over, until everything drops out but Baker’s voice. While this idea is nowhere near novel, it is executed to perfection, as the “The harder I swim the faster I sink” will echo through your mind for the rest of your day.

Album closer “Claws in your Back” is without a doubt Baker at her best; this track is arguably her greatest achievement thus far in her young career. Brooding and heavy, this track ebbs and flows its way through familiar ground lyrically before Julien’s most emphatic declaration that she’s’ “changed her mind/ [she] wanted to stay”, a perfect ending to a continuously overwhelming saga.

So maybe you’ve heard this album before. Maybe this familiar ground has you weary. Regardless, this album is as raw, personal, and inspiring as anything around. With Turn out the Lights Baker has once again proven that she has what it takes to be mainstay in a genre that often burns out as quickly as it begins.

He Is Legend Heavy FruitGuest House I'll Get Over It I Guess
Trophy Scars Holy VacantsSeahaven Reverie Lagoon: Music For Escapism Only
Sleep Weather Two Wheels SpinningWe Are Scientists TV en Français

October 27th 2017

Hm. So I was going to be the first person to post a review on this. my bad.

Regardless, this is my first review in like 3 years, so hopefully you'll be forgiving with comments. I would appreciate any feedback though!

October 27th 2017

how do y'all pump out reviews so quickly?

Digging: Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated

October 27th 2017

Today at work I had three prep periods because my students are testing. So instead of grading or doing something useful I listened to this album four or five times.

October 27th 2017

Tbf it only takes me like an hour or two to pump out a review, but it's hard for me to wrap all my thoughts together on the first day of release haha

October 27th 2017

It usually takes me several days to process an album, I'm jealous

Solid review fam, posipos

AsleepInTheBack

It usually takes me several days to process an album, I'm jealous [2]

AngryJohnny
October 27th 2017

This is gonna be really good init

ProjectFreak
October 27th 2017

this review kinda feels like a 4.5...that might just be me projecting, since I'm still reeling from the closer. Her voice is incredible, and I'm in exactly the right headspace to be wrecked by her lyrics.

[2] everything you just said

October 27th 2017

@projectfreak I initially had it at a 3.5 as I was writing the review. Then as I was revising it I was like "this reads a lot higher than a 3.5"

Taxt
October 27th 2017

Love this after a few spins, as expected. So bummed I missed her show a few months back

Chortles
October 27th 2017

^she's quite something live too :-/

Conmaniac
October 27th 2017

she's so beautiful live ugh

BlushfulHippocrene

Great review, mate.

Digging: Injury Reserve - Injury Reserve

JohnnyOnTheSpot
October 27th 2017

atrink whew it's been a while

October 27th 2017

Woah. Look at you. A big bad staff reviewer!

Evok