Bob Dylan
Self-Portrait

by rigooz USER (1 Reviews)
October 18th, 2017 | 7 replies

Release Date: 1970 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's simplistic charm will have you humming right along.

I've listened to all of Dylan's critically acclaimed records (aka every album leading up to Self Portrait) and each one is amazing in a different way. It is my argument that Self-Portrait was unfairly criticized due to the records that preceded it (Freewheelin', Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde, etc.). Of course, when Dylan was fed up with people showing up at his door, he decided to lay low and put out this record of covers. Looking back, it makes sense why he did it. The classic "what is this ***" review that adhered itself to this album upon its release was understandable, but it's time to unstick it.

It was unlike anything the poet had done previously and it caught people by surprise. But give Self-Portrait a chance and you'll enjoy its easy listening quality. Laid back performances of Like a Rolling Stone and She Belongs to Me show how Dylan can perform these classics without spitting venom as he did on the 1966 world tour that nearly killed him. I enjoy his version of Early Mornin Rain more than the original by Gordon Lightfoot and his duet with Paul Simon in The Boxer is irresistible in its minimalistic approach. Gotta Travel On is a definite highlight, he adds a couple verses to the end and arranges the song brilliantly.

If you're looking for a Dylan album that won't shake you to the core of your being, but is nonetheless an enjoyable listen on a Sunday afternoon, this is a great record to pop on the old turntable.

2.4

TheIntruder
October 18th 2017

I never heard this album. But this doesn't seems to me a review. It seems more a soundoff. Too short for a review.

SandwichBubble
October 18th 2017

This is a nice succinct review. I like it more than the album

Digging: Vashti Bunyan - Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind

Bloon
October 18th 2017

I get the appeal of this one, but it isn't for me.

Nice review though, the personal touches make it a nice read, although I'd change "'what is this shit' review" with "negative reception." Also, next review, it would be cool if you fleshed out the ideas a little more.

Either way, this is good first review. Pos'd :D

Digging: SpongeBob SquarePants - The Yellow Album

wham49
October 18th 2017

"Dylan's first crack at covers."

the first sentence and I do not have to read any more, clearly you are not a Dylan person if you think this is the first covers that he has done, Check everything up to freewheelin' dude. His whole act for 2 years when he came to NY was Guthrie covers, and his whole first album was covers

rigooz
October 21st 2017

@wham49 I wrote this review late at night cause I couldn't sleep, I had the record on and I thought why not write a little something cause no one else had. The next day I realized the glaring fault in the summary. His first record was all covers except Song to Woody and Talking New York, as you mentioned. Thanks for calling me on it, I edited what I thought was a clever alliteration out.

Thanks everyone for your comments ! I appreciate the feedback.

Bloon
October 21st 2017

no problem my dude

this record is way too long tbh

wham49
October 23rd 2017

actually I like some of it, considering he was trying to make a POS to begin with, he wanted the heat off on himself, which he did