Bodyjar
Terra Firma

by insomniac15 STAFF
October 15th, 2017 | 9 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Affirming they are one of the best and most consistent Australian punk rock bands…

I was really happy Bodyjar decided to reunite at the beginning of this decade to once more release striking music. They are one of the best and most consistent Australian punk rock bands, however, when it comes to new material, their pace is awfully slow. Four years lapsed since Role Model hit the shelves (good Lord, how time flies) and now we’re finally receiving fresh tunes. Albeit only a 12-minute long EP, Terra Firma assures us the group is alive and kicking. This brief listen shares four songs that more or less affirm us they are just as reliable as ever.

Opener ‘Burning it Down for Nothing’ is an explosive cut that boasts some infectious melodies. Musically, it reminds of the 2002 straightforward, fun LP, Plastic Skies. The riffs are uplifting and gratifying, even though the lyrics are serious. Moreover, ‘Money Box’ & ‘Get it Right’ maintain the energy while gradually moving to a harder, punk rock territory. Front man Cam has always been a focal point as his voice is powerful and urgent in tone, plus I love how these guys constantly switch from darker, more complex progressions to cheery, sing-along choruses. Unfortunately, we rapidly reach to the end of this succinct adventure. The closing track, ‘Elon Musk’ is a scorcher, featuring pummeling drums, gritty guitars topped by strong leads as well as cool, layered vocals. I believe this type of music can feel invigorating when done by the right musicians. Thankfully, this Aussie quartet is one of the best examples out there. Bodyjar have honed their chemistry a lot and 20 years later they sound just as good as ever. Terra Firma is a compelling reminder the group is going strong, so with a little bit of luck we finally might receive a full length affair next year.

Cairo Knife Fight SevenCarbon Based Lifeforms Derelicts
Monolord RustWith the Dead Love from With the Dead
Ufomammut 8The Flying Eyes Burning the Season

insomniac15
October 15th 2017

Didn't want this EP to go unnoticed. Cool tunes, but I need a new LP from them!!

'Burning it Down for Nothing' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iirxyVrDGEU

'Money Box' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1sEGOd8SY

'Get it Right' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMfH-eLpBhc

'Elon Musk' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDrl7jXJLL4

October 15th 2017

I might be weird but "no touch red" is my fav album...

Digging: Xanthochroid - Of Erthe and Axen: Act II

October 15th 2017

'elon musk' is incredibly awesome!

insomniac15
October 15th 2017

No Touch Red is a great album, but IMO they struck gold with How it Works and Plastic Skies.

Masochist
October 15th 2017

^^^ That they did. Those two albums are incredible, and remain among my favorite punk records.

October 15th 2017

I loved "how it works" but it was way less technical than NTR.

kris.
October 15th 2017

holy shit these guys are still around? how it works was great, checking this out at some point

zuzek
October 15th 2017

"his voice is really nice"

Could you not think of another way to phrase this?

TheSupernatural
October 17th 2017

Wait these guys still exist? I still jam Not the Same from Tony Hawk from time to time.