Battle Dagorath
II - Frozen Light of Eternal Darkness

by Gameofmetal STAFF
October 12th, 2017 | 25 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The best Paysage d'Hiver that's not actually Paysage d'Hiver.

What is there to be said for Battle Dagorath’s latest wintry offering of black metal, the fifth in a long line of similarly wintry recordings" I can note that II - Frozen Light of Eternal Darkness is the second piece to their 2016 release, I - Dark Dragons of the Cosmos, but what does that mean in the context of the album" Not very much in truth. It’s a fact, but not one that significantly affects what it means to be a Battle Dagorath album in 2017. There isn’t a stylistic change that really sets it apart from any previous album, and there’s no obvious musical link between the two, just those fanciful roman numerals in the album titles. It’s also somewhat the equivalent of beating a dead horse to mention the band’s common comparisons to Paysage d’Hiver, warranted as the title of “best Paysage d’Hiver that’s not actually Paysage d’Hiver” is. There’s just not all that many out of the ordinary characteristics at play here. It’s a Battle Dagorath record, plainly put, perhaps arguably the fifth edition of the same product with just a little bit higher quality wrapping paper. And yet I keep spinning it again and again because there’s just something about it that’s so satisfying against all odds.

Much like Paysage d’Hiver and their ilk, atmosphere is king here, even to the point where individual songs or the need for single standout moments lose their meaning. You listen to the whole album and let the tone sweep you away to a faraway place, or you don’t listen at all. There are really only two ideas that occur across the entire album; relentless, blasting, frozen black metal and grand, spacious ambience. While no one can make as much incredible material out of just two essential ideas as well as the original masters, Battle Dagorath come as close as mortal men can, forging well over an hour of quite enjoyable material out of these two fundamentals. When broken down to the base components, there’s no reason to think there would be much of value here but the engaging atmosphere makes all the difference. While Battle Dagorath stick to simple tremolo riffs, blast beats, and classic black metal shrieks, the sheer frozen feeling of the album gives it the power it needs. It falls just short of capturing the engulfing tone of classics like Winterkaelte, but this is the closest Battle Dagorath have come over the last decade, every individual aspect having been refined minutely to make an album that shows narrow improvement, but improvement nonetheless. That’s really the essential idea behind the success of II - Frozen Light of Eternal Darkness. It’s an intrinsically simple album that rises to excellence by digging deep on the one strength it knew it could hone, the atmosphere. Much like Paysage d’Hiver, I’ve never once listened to an album of their’s and actually remembered a great deal of it afterwards, but the feelings it provokes in me are unforgettable.

Morbid Angel Kingdoms DisdainedForteresse Thèmes pour la Rébellion
Wolves in the Throne Room Thrice WovenDayseeker Dreaming is Sinking /// Waking is Rising
The Acacia Strain GravebloomTwilight Fauna The Year the Stars Fell

Eternal Throne

hiya

Nazzadan

What a coinkadink I just listened to this band's discog over the last 2 days

Hawks
October 12th 2017

Guess I need to jam this. Never jammed this band actually.

Digging: The Body and Full Of Hell - Ascending a Mountain of Heavy Light

Nazzadan
October 12th 2017

It's probably just because I'm fresh off listening to their whole discog, but their first few albums are some of the best USBM I've heard

Xenophanes
October 12th 2017

I wish this were on Spotify or something—I want to listen but not go through the trouble of downloading it lol

Digging: Blood Cultures - Happy Birthday

October 12th 2017

not to be that guy, but Darkspace is a better comparable in both concept and execution.

that said, nice review. great to see these guys get written up here. AV for the win.

Digging: Elysian Blaze - Blood Geometry

October 12th 2017

only in the drum sound imo, darkspace is the opposite of paysage conceptually and battle dagorath drift much closer to paysage with the winter themed sound but the drums are very mechanical and clean like darkspace. in that way it's like they're a combination of the two projects.

October 12th 2017

I'd throw Arkhtinn in there too. all good bands and we're getting to that season.

October 13th 2017

bump for good review and good album

zaruyache
October 13th 2017

bump for bad drum machinnnnes! :D

Willie
October 15th 2017

Has this been featured yet? I wish there was some sort of indicator so we could tell if it had been featured or not.

Anyway, I liked this. Nothing too exciting, but definitely enjoyable.

zaruyache
October 15th 2017

it showed up on the "staff reviews" sidebar but I don't think it was ever featured.

Pho3nix
October 16th 2017

Think I'm gonna check out their debut before this, I am mildly interested simply because of the Lord of the Rings reference

October 16th 2017

Their first album has some LOTR references but as far as Im aware they dropped the influence afterward.

ScuroFantasma
October 16th 2017

Great rev, very interested in this for the favourable comparison to Paysage, will jam momentarily.

Digging: Rabor - ????????

October 16th 2017

the more I listen to this the more I hear clipping and general over-compression. it's quite irksome.

Evreaia
October 17th 2017

Got this and their first lp for free on bandcamp. Gotta listen.

YakNips
October 17th 2017

at what point does paysage d'hiver become to black metal reviews what dark souls has become to gaming journalism

October 17th 2017

you mean the standard by which all new releases are judged?

Asmodeuss1990
October 17th 2017

I love Paysage d'Hiver so I'll probably czech dis out.