Beholding
o So Lo

by verdant CONTRIBUTOR (66 Reviews)
October 10th, 2017 | 21 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: O So Lo(vely)

Were the cynics here to listen, they’d proclaim O So Lo a gimmick, a cheap and meaningless tactic employed in an attempt to evoke awe and a meta kind of intimacy. After all, every sound, every inflection, every idiosyncrasy that emanates from this record was borne from the same piano, culminating in the interplay of utmost purity and the occasional bout of heavy, boot-to-the-chest distortion. But this is, quite clearly, a record that pays little attention to the jaded listener. O So Lo lives, murmurs, and dies in the same small room, shutting itself in as if an inch of rotting wood is enough to avoid a casualty.

Beholding (alias: Lukas Vanderlip) restructures this record so that the order of the day is deliberately and beautifully out of place. It’s a (somehow) self-perpetuating piece of music that paints a minimalist portrait of what it would be like to react to the future before it happens. In that regard, it’s very calm-before-the-storm, yet it predicates its atmosphere on the notion that the storm may stay forever teetering on the horizon. Formless is a sagely “don’t be scared”, sure, if placed before the crash and burn of Fleeting, but if you decide it occurs in the aftermath, it’s more evidently a “we will find what it is you’ve lost”.

Either way, it’s a search for clarity that defines this music. A barely-hidden poem accompanies this album, incised and woven into the make-up of each vignette. Much like the pieces themselves, I’m not sure there’s a definitive order to this poem; rather, I feel these words were always there, in that configuration, before the sounds even found their way from the hollow body of that old piano. Consider them lyrics, lamenting the absence of a clear path with equal parts frustration and resigned acceptance. Ergo, the dynamic is clear: the sounds we hear -- gentle, commiserating, selfless -- are an attempt to placate the neuroses evident in the ‘lyrics’, which we comprehend like we do a phantom limb. ”You are alone", the pithy literal accompaniment to the title track, is a sentiment succinctly (read: bluntly) put. But the piece itself tells me otherwise; it isn’t loneliness here, it’s tranquility -- a quietude heavy enough that you can hear the creak of the sustain pedal amidst the drizzle of warm melodic improvisations.

O So Lo is the kind of album completed in sessions -- the kind of album ‘written’ and recorded in the exact same frame of mind. It’s no gimmick, then, because it exists in its first and only form and it will never, ever, come to us in the same way as it has just now. Though where other improvisation-based albums feel like flashes in the pan, lightning in a bottle, this one here is different; it seems… considered, against all odds, as though the concept existed as a mental blueprint long before it was ever performed. It has seen and accepted hardship but it’s remained collected and tender and unassuming regardless. Even its peculiarities, of which there are a surprising amount, feel congruous with the melodic resolutions: those that are felt as knots untangle and a vague sense of optimism creeps in amongst the confusion.

This is the improvised, neo-classical-cum-ambient record with the least surprises ever. We are wished good luck in navigating this record before we listen to it, but after listening, I don't think good fortune is necessary; O So Lo provides the transparency it seeks, but it keeps searching for it anyway.

Nick Drake Pink MoonRaven (AUS) The Night Is Dark...
Cheem DownhillOlivia Block Karren
St. Vincent MASSEDUCTIONFour Tet New Energy

October 10th 2017

i'd say "don't miss it", but i think it's here to stay for a while. hope you're well everyone : )

Ovrot
October 10th 2017

Who the hell is verdant?
:thinking:

Digging: Verdun - The Eternal Drift's Canticles

October 10th 2017

man ovrot you rock, you're the man

October 10th 2017

Your characterization of this as an improvised work is an amazing angle

Really nice stuff Jack

October 10th 2017

thanks claviclaire pls give this a shot regardless of your proclivities : )

October 10th 2017

will do, I'll report back to you

brainmelter

Nice review boii

Digging: Imprecation - Theurgia Goetia Summa

Conmaniac

19687 Comments

did i miss something

2013 Comments

I love this, although I need to listen to it a bunch more.

Digging: Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights

Conmaniac

19687 Comments

phew Blush your name is the same, thought I was going crazy

2013 Comments

Hahaha, oh! Yeah, it's just Jack and Claire for now, I think. I miss their old names, but these are good, we'll get used to them. (:

you're gonna have to :~p

Well, what if I don't like ~change~ L A N D D I V I N G ??? >: (((

October 10th 2017

i'm not sure i can help you my frand

Chortles

20837 Comments

oh look at this, new user verdant uses the word cum in his first review. isn't that WONDERFUL

(great review)

Digging: Burger / Ink - Las Vegas

2013 Comments

Going to have to bump this to a 4, for at least a little while. It's kind of perfect in a way.

agreed

October 10th 2017

this is so calming - i've never drunk chamomile tea but i imagine it's the auditory equivalent of it

October 11th 2017

: )

lukeofthelip
October 11th 2017

thanks for the support everyone! beautiful review of course, thanks a ton Jack you're the greatest!