Injury Reserve
Drive It Like It's Stolen!

by verdant CONTRIBUTOR (66 Reviews)
October 1st, 2017 | 34 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: drunk and sad and happy and stoned and self-aware and poor and drunk and stoned and

I think Injury Reserve make party music for when the party has died down and most people have either left or haphazardly thrown their brain in a box for the night. There’s a suture running through the centre of this EP, separating the rumination from the leftover ecstasy; the internal monologue from the unfiltered, drunken stream-of-consciousness. Images like this, that come to me unbidden, position Injury Reserve at the cross section between lyrical, “artsy” (ugh) rap and the sort of hip-hop splashing paint carefree upon the surface level (for what it’s worth: I believe both styles are of equal merit, no matter how much I favour the former). I like the idea that both sides exist symbiotically; as in, the high and the comedown acknowledge each other’s flaws, whilst still finding a way to coexist. Such a dynamic is how it should be; in BOOM X3, the hook is aggressive, potent, while the beat is smoky and eidolic, presenting this interplay clearly and in a way that illustrates balance and self-awareness. Obviously, the dudes who somehow manage to boast about their humility use this relationship to pivot themselves away from their contemporaries. Whenever a lyric seems to be of import (“I don’t do the rap thing, but I can actually understand you, I dig that”), Groggs and/or Ritchie with a T undermine it with a snarky response (”I get that, but we won’t agree as much as you think”). And, at under half an hour, there isn’t a moment that the record falls out of step with its own parameters. It snakes around and simmers, hollowing out that space in the middle where the party continues; more quiet, granted, but equally buzzing with joyful delirium. On Drive It Like It's Stolen, Injury Reserve deliver us good music borne out of bad decisions.

Nick Drake Pink MoonRaven (AUS) The Night Is Dark...
Cheem DownhillOlivia Block Karren
St. Vincent MASSEDUCTIONBeholding o So Lo

stupidloser (3.5)
Drive It Like It's Stolen displays Injury Reserve retracting heavy hitting bangers in favour of a mo...

one para because uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

cryptologous

fuark great review cunt

< 3

onionbubs
October 1st 2017

damn i gotta hear this shit

Digging: Converge - The Dusk in Us

it's good

Bloon
October 1st 2017

Fantastic review as always, I still need to listen to these guys.

Digging: SpongeBob SquarePants - The Yellow Album

clavier
October 1st 2017

Great review jack, short and sweet

ianblxdsoe
October 1st 2017

great review as usual, might give my take on this at some point possibly even though your review will probably shit all over it still in every way B)))

Corney
October 1st 2017

This really fell flat. I don't care for their more serious tracks on this. Also, Sandra Bland was not murdered in jail.

TheSpaceMan

nice

i dont like the word haphazardly in the first sentence... seems out of place and ruins an otherwise nice and simple flow. opinions tho

Chortles

20841 Comments

u suck, big time. good review!

Digging: Burger / Ink - Las Vegas

BlushfulHippocrene

2013 Comments

Only two weeks since your last? Felt much longer. Beautiful review, Jack.

Digging: Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights

Conmaniac

19696 Comments

everyone needs a break sometime
nice lil 1 para, fits well with this EP.

chortles why i do the suck???? : ~(

thanks people

Chortles

20841 Comments

just being facetious ily

ScuroFantasma
October 2nd 2017

What a great review, mind pos

Digging: Russkaja - Energia!

October 2nd 2017

also sach thankYO U! my bad!! i mean it's still a party as it is dying down but obviously i worded that poorly. will rectify immemememdiately

JasonCarne
October 3rd 2017

Loved the last record, this was boring as hell though, bummer.

Drifter
October 3rd 2017

Is this just as bad as their last album or nah

MyCarandMyGuitar
October 3rd 2017

their Dentist Office tape is a modern classic for me, gotta check this. Great writeup as always man