King Dude
Sex

by Evok USER (32 Reviews)
September 28th, 2017 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: who wants to live and die tonight?

“Holy Christos” kicks off the whole affair with a coquettish bout of rocking foreplay, but Sex isn’t about to let you reach climax any time soon. The fleeting moments of edging crescendo exist only to underscore a dreadful and lightless narrative that ties the frayed threads of King Dude’s latest offering into a dusty quilt of drunken isolation and sadistic libido. The bluesy rock careening off the walls of “Swedish Boys” might be little more than a mirage of whimsy when the mouth is most parched, but it’s these numerous excursions into the realms of narcotic indulgence that serve as the coal which fuels this train of hedonism and psychopathy. Without them the impact of tracks like the whiskey-dicked “Who Taught You How To Love” or the rusty blade of “Prisoner” wouldn’t cut nearly as deep as they deserve, and the contrast between the faux-wood paneling of dark folk and the sputtering carburetors of defrocked post-punk saturate the coarse brushstrokes of depressive rock with a paranoid acuity for moody backlighting. It's all rather drab until you scrape away the superficial crud that encases the jaded soul of King Dude's modus operandi, but once you dig into the marrow of this bloodsucking daemon you'll find there's a lot more soul to it than those first meetings suggested. "I Wanna Die At 69" could very well settle into the surrounding furniture on a half-assed flyby, but a close ear should find itself helplessly drawn to its metallic acidity as T.J. Cowgill waxes poetic with the charisma of a serial killer, "I like the look of her in the light of my lord / she's wrapped up tighter than a telephone cord / I hold the crown - she holds the sword". Indeed there is a grand sense of purposefulness that guides the malign motions of Sex, and its beguiled evangelicalism adds an inextricable aire of curiosity that casts astray any vestiges of repulsion as it envelopes you in its fascinating marriage of religious fervor and roadside desperation. It's a collection of hymns for the damned if you will, with lines like "I was dead and alone and I held what I owned / Just a bottle of sin that I've tried to disown / Since the day I was born the devil has made me his home" serving as a vehicle for the existential brooding that prods away at the tender heart of both songwriter and listener alike.

Inhabiting the strange spaces between the misanthropic timbre of countryside alcoholism and the cotton-mouthed insincerity of amphetamine laced post-punk, King Dude's Sex is an album driven purely by its own drearily wayfaring impulses - and it's all the more charming for it. "I've been up for a week and I swear I'm doing fine" underscores the closing ballad “Shine Your Light”, and aptly surmises the entirety of the past 40 minutes with a mysterious waltz between crippling denial and brutal honesty. It's not so much troubled as it is apathetic towards the tenets of heartbreak, carving a modest habitat in a broken world where sunlight seems void of its life-affirming promises. Somehow, by stripping away all but the faintest glimmerings of pearly sheen, Sex triumphs through a carnal ardor that beckons your ear's hasty return. Perhaps it's how Cowgill bends the familiar chords of dustbowl rock and broils them with the slouching disposition of a White Light-era Swans downtrodden with the burden of religious guilt, or maybe it's the pungent reek of nicotine-stained fingers silently gnawing at the crackled tenets of nihilism itself that make it vibe so hard. At any rate, what King Dude has offered us with his sixth full-length album is a looking glass into the soul of a weathered driver white-knuckling the wheel of life, feverishly transfixed on a grievous escapism painted in shades of faded sepia and musty grey.

Chee Fear MongerShamanic Technology and Dusko Artifacts
Kasra Ski MaskNoer the Boy Ganzfeld
Fixate What Goes AroundAtYyA Volition

Music To Make War To

September 27th 2017

kind of a different approach to a review than what I usually do, but with so many inspiring writers around here I figured I'd try my hand at something like this. Album rules and definitely needed someone to write something about it!

Digging: Kimyan Law - Zawadi

Dewinged
September 27th 2017

Good, concise review Evo. Pos'd.

I always wanted to check this guy because of his work with Chelsea Wolfe, but I keep forgetting about it. Hallowed be thy bookmark.

Digging: Ioanna Gika - Thalassa

September 27th 2017

Thx :] yeah this album took a while to grow on me honestly, but once it clicked I was hooked. Holy Christos and I Wanna Die At 69 were some of the best songs to leave the stratosphere of 2016 if you ask me.

Dedes
September 27th 2017

Loved the review, really oughtta check this

butcherboy
September 27th 2017

fantastic review and a great album.. posssssssssssssssss

Hawks
September 28th 2017

This looks awesome. Great review as always brother. m/

Digging: Hecate Enthroned - Embrace Of The Godless Aeon

Papa Universe

20547 Comments

No love for Our Love Will Carry On here either, I see...

Digging: Arteries - Arteries

BlackwaterPork

Great review mate

September 28th 2017

"No love for Our Love Will Carry On here either, I see..."

Well, I wasn't about to do a track-by-track. I didn't mention it, but that doesn't mean I don't love it ;]

September 28th 2017

Sensational record. Bout time this got reviewed.

Digging: The Appleseed Cast - Mare Vitalis

Papa Universe

20547 Comments

"I didn't mention it, but that doesn't mean I don't love it ;]"

good...