Ancient
Trolltaar

by Bloon USER (54 Reviews)
September 25th, 2017 | 12 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Darkest Realms of Beauty...

Beauty is one of the most subjective ideals in the human mind. What might be awe-inspiringly attractive to some might be disgustingly grotesque to others. Because of this, beauty is hard to describe, despite the adoration it causes being very visceral. No matter how subjective this concept is, how possible is it for a subgenre of extreme metal to be anything more than just frightening" Surely one can be forgiven for assuming black metal, which has an extensive history of church burnings, murders, and worshiping all sorts of demonic beings, is purely violent and horrifying.

This is the part of the review where these preconceptions are swept away and one tells that this album is purely full of traditional beauty, but that is not the truth. There’s still dark tremolo-picking, sinister screeches, rapid fire percussion stylings, and low fidelity production techniques. These diabolical foundations are still found in spades on Trolltaar, yet there is something especially engrossing in how Ancient approaches the music. In this dense macabre, the melodies strike through, creating something that haunts the listener’s very soul. Much like a dark chasm, Ancient paints it’s vast landscapes with the dark unknown, blending darkness and allure into the world it builds with desolate soundscapes. The atmosphere built is rich and vivid, while being foggy and murky.

In this way, the high-tempo drum rhythms and the guitar picks and solos work in conjunction with the vocals and the droning bass lines to add a sense of urgency to the bleak world created, as if some beast is traversing the plains. As this release ventures onwards, the swelling exigency grows larger until it reaches a harsh climax at the end of “Fjellets Hemmelighet,” marking a swift ending of the world built. The cataclysmic downfall of the rich atmosphere is just as heart-pounding as the whole release, bringing a harsh downfall to the world of Trolltaar. With this ending and the melancholic atmosphere built through the experience, a form of brooding apathy belongs to the dark melodies that belong to this record. Said dark melodies tell a tale, a tale that is wrought with bleak fog. In a strange, twisted way, that fits my description of beauty.

Chief Keef The WTrivium The Sin and the Sentence
AJJ The Bible 2Weird Al Yankovic Running With Scissors
Morgoth Feel Sorry for the FanaticBongripper Satan Worshipping Doom

Bloon
September 25th 2017

Stream the album here: https://m.youtube.com/#/playlist?list=PL_R70UTi4fdaBlAEW2cjZ8N_LHXwHWarj

this needed a review bad

Digging: SpongeBob SquarePants - The Yellow Album

Willie
September 25th 2017

One of their few good albums. These guys plummeted into the shit fast.

Digging: Adimiron - Et Liber Eris

zaruyache
September 25th 2017

Svartalvheim needs a real review too wink wink

ScuroFantasma

Great review Bloon, will check

Digging: Russkaja - Energia!

These guys plummeted into the shit fast [2]

Svartalvheim needs a real review too wink wink [2]

I'm not going to get greedy because I know that you probably won't want to review another album by the same band. I also know that you haven't heard Svartalvheim yet, which you should get on. That being said, I'm glad that you finally reviewed this one. This is one of those albums that we seem to like much more than everybody else on here for some reason.

Hawks

51983 Comments

Never really had any desire to check this band tbh.

Digging: Gamma Ray - Land of the Free

September 25th 2017

@Hawks Their first full length and this ep are essential in my eyes. Everything after this ep ranges from bad to some of the worst music ever made. (Mad Grandiose Bloodfiends)

Willie
September 25th 2017

Hawks, I think you'd like "The Cainian Chronicles". Check that album out.

Hawks

51983 Comments

Sweet will do bros. m/

September 25th 2017

@Hawks Yeah, you'll probably dig The Cainian Chronicles much more than I did and probably more than the first full length and this ep. It reminded me of Cradle of Filth, and I'm not a Cradle of Filth fan, so that's why I didn't like it.

BlushfulHippocrene
September 26th 2017

2017 Comments

Lovely review here, Bloon. ((:

Digging: Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights

Bloon
September 27th 2017

I almost forgot, thanks to BlushfulHippocrene for helping me after this was posted.