Counterparts

by Trebor. STAFF
September 22nd, 2017 | 418 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Still you, still special

I spent much of the past week worrying. Worrying because I didn’t know how to score You’re Not You Anymore. Every Counterparts album has been a strong grower, on first listen a 2.5 or a 3 out of 5, and all have risen to be 4 or a 4.5. After a week I was still unsure about You’re Not You Anymore. A 3" A generous 3.5" How do I say an album just hasn’t clicked with me yet, how do I justify that with multiple paragraphs" Thankfully all that went in the trash because on the 10th listen it clicked. But still, I’m trying to wrap my head around why Counterparts have this effect on me, without fail, with every single album they put out. I remember trashing The Current Will Carry Us the week of its release, and then a month later declaring it as one of my favorite albums of the year. My leading guess is that because Counterparts write so many great riffs and moments into every song it’s difficult to latch onto any given element of their sound. The first couple listens are always spent in awe of how they managed to cram twelve guitar parts into one song. Rapid fire riff after riff, often never repeated again, time signature changes, and breakdowns, my old man brain needs multiple listens to play catch up.

All the difficult-to-get-into talk is a little misleading though because You’re Not You Anymore isn’t a prog fortress, it’s their most chorus driven work. Hardcore one-liners were the stickiest on first listen,”I won’t let you drown inside me, you haunt me like an empty house, my heart bleeds in different time,” These aren’t the deepest lyrics in the world, but Brendan Murphy’s delivery and the placement in the song makes a world of difference. You’re Not You Anymore is Counterparts at their most riff-heavy, but that’s not to say there aren't simple beauties like much of "Swim Beneath My Skin" when the lead guitar is just one chord for a whole measure and the sliding octave chords of "Memory Misread." Counterparts songs just build and build, like the evolving guitar in "You Haunt Me" that gets more melodic and intricate as the song goes on, and on top of that their album flow is ridiculous too, all the songs blend together in a cohesive way usually reserved for concept albums. The back half of the record is too breakdown heavy, but there’s more than enough killer and catchy stuff that eventually grabs ahold of you. Counterparts are detail oriented, and so numerous and focused listens are required to fully grasp You’re Not You Anymore. It’s a grower, but it’s well worth it.

Alkaline Trio Is This Thing Cursed?Mark Kozelek Mark Kozelek
Dr. Octagon MoosebumpsBlessthefall Hard Feelings
Moose Blood I Don't Think I Can Do This AnymorePianos Become the Teeth Wait For Love
TheSpirit CONTRIBUTOR (4)
God would break character if he could for a chance to spit in your face...

ian b. (4.5)
Counterparts rid the youthful melodramatic crutches of previous efforts and show their teeth in a gr...

iChuckles (4)
A reaffirmation of brilliance....

Kenneth Timper (3.5)
On their latest release, Counterparts skim the fat and use brevity to their advantage....

September 22nd 2017

Short one for a short album

This will likely land inside my top ten for the year

Digging: Alkaline Trio - Is This Thing Cursed?

Awesome review man

Digging: Dysylumn - Occultation

ianblxdsoe
September 22nd 2017

great review as usual my man

Digging: IDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance

September 22nd 2017

Totally agree with the whole thing about everything they making being a real grower. Definitely some resounding truth to that statement!

SteakByrnes
September 22nd 2017

Fuck, this does just keep getting better with each listen

Digging: Owane - yeah whatever

ProjectFreak
September 22nd 2017

ugh this seems like a secret plot to make me listen to this again

ProjectFreak
September 22nd 2017

by which i mean, review is great even if i strongly disagree, that first listen did not go down easy for me

September 22nd 2017

this album flattens entire townships. Love it

September 22nd 2017

wait really? i heard prophets a long time ago and it did absolutely nothing for me. maybe i should give this a spin hmm

kingjulian
September 22nd 2017

They are definitely a grower band. First album I listened to was TDBHAH and I felt like it was a 3 at best... until I realized I couldn't stop playing it in my car and it grew to a 4.

The guitar work is the glue that holds it all together for me. Definitely a cut above anything else I've heard in the genre (as far as my tastes go).

calmrose
September 22nd 2017

"I find theyre one of those bands that needs to hit you at the right time to get you vibing to it but once it happens theres no turning back"

^this hard

Digging: Heiress - Of Great Sorrow

JeetJeet
September 22nd 2017

@Kris They've massively improved since Prophets, which is pretty much their weakest release. Every album since then has been awesome. This one is great. Give it a listen.

Digging: Counterparts - Private Room

kingjulian
September 22nd 2017

Yeah Prophets is fine but is definitely more generic and makes less of an impression than their follow ups.

September 22nd 2017

Prophets has always been my least favorite but lately it's grown on me

calmrose
September 22nd 2017

Prophets is awesome but I definitely prefer and think the band got better with the subsequent releases since then

also, dope review Trebor

September 22nd 2017

giving this a listen, will let u all know my very important opinion in due time

Thanks fellas

Let me know what you think Kris

September 22nd 2017

this is one bro-ass breakdown in a memory misread

Ignimbrite
September 22nd 2017

I'm enjoying this way more than the other stuff I've heard from these guys

Granted, it's been a while since I tried the others, but still.

Digging: Travis Scott - Rodeo