Counterparts
You're Not You Anymore

by iChuckles USER (18 Reviews)
September 22nd, 2017 | 121 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A reaffirmation of brilliance.

The Difference Between Hell and Home is my favorite melodic hardcore record of all time; a small nugget of information you might have been able to discern if read my poorly structured review of it back in July 2013. I was 17 at the time and had recently become weaned on heavy music, which helped ensure that TDBH&H was nothing short of an 800-pound-goliath, assault on the senses for me. Whenever Brendan Murphy's extremely assured vocals would conspire with the serene ‒ and often haunting ‒ guitar leads during the album's biggest choruses ("Compass", "Cursed") or most spine-tingling crescendos ("Wither", "Soil"), the results were often breathtaking. The 2015-follow up Tragedy Will Find Us sadly didn't resonate with me on the same level, with an enforced emphasis on lyrical prowess rather than the bombastic riffs and booming refrains of yore.

Counterparts' fifth outing, You're Not You Anymore, beautifully marries the band's earliest work with the wistful, tortured lyricism that has come to define the Canadian hardcore quintet over the years. Tracks like "Bouquet", "Rope" and "Arms Like Teeth" display some of the tightest and most surgically precise song writing the band has ever penned, with the latter track propelling itself forward with arguably the most melodic and musically sound guitar riffs on the album, that build to a stunning climax. YNYA is merely 28 minutes long ‒ there's no filler and there are no palate cleansers. It's absolutely unrelenting from beginning to end and doles out a steady supply of meteorically heavy breakdowns, memorable lead riffs, frenzied vocal passages and appropriately anthemic choruses. "No Servant of Mine" and "Haunt Me" walk an impressive line between the tried-and-true melodic hardcore leanings of The Current Will Carry Us while seemingly increasing the intensity thrice fold, with the former track smacking the listener over the head with an absolutely massive chorus and playfully interwoven pinch harmonics.

Breakdowns are also fairly plentiful and hinted at with elongated build-ups, with "Rope" arguably stealing the show during the tail-end of the track. "Hope is a blade that bears my name, // I knew your rope was made for me", Brendan emotes furiously before the clash of buzz saw chugs and newcomer Kyle Brownlee's double-bass drum crunch collide for a mosh-worthy explosion. However, it's the melodic moments that imbue the album with substance; "Fragile Limbs" and "A Memory Misread" favors catchy ‒ and to some extent, sung ‒ choruses over typical metal and hardcore riffage. I'm particularly fond of the surprisingly ear-grabbing hook of "A Memory Misread", which reads "I am a farewell that even heaven won't accept // Collecting scars like souvenirs of pasts we can't forget". Brendan's brand of 'poetic hardcore' is every bit as impressive here as it has been in the past and is delivered in expectedly brilliant fashion, with raw, crestfallen screams that guide each song forward without hindrance. There isn't a single bad song on YNYA, which winds up being a reaffirmation of brilliance for a band that has never failed to impress with each consecutive album release. It's a great pastiche to what has come before, while trimming away all of the unnecessary fat for a tight, coherent and utterly focused melodic hardcore record that will dupe you into coming back, and stakes its claim as one of the genre's best offerings this year.

Standout Tracks:
Fragile Limbs
You're Not You Anymore

For The Win Heavy ThoughtsDance Gavin Dance Mothership
Architects All Our Gods Have Abandoned UsNeck Deep Life's Not Out To Get You
Four Year Strong Four Year StrongChunk! No, Captain Chunk! Get Lost, Find Yourself
Trebor. STAFF (4.1)
Still you, still special...

ktjammin (3.5)
On their latest release, Counterparts skim the fat and use brevity to their advantage....

ianblxdsoe (4.5)
Counterparts rid the youthful melodramatic crutches of previous efforts and show their teeth in a gr...

Durrzo
September 22nd 2017

I would would say Hell and Home is still their best, but this definitely takes 2nd place. I really enjoy this all around, but the drumming in particular really caught my ear. Dude's playing is really fun to listen to.

iChuckles
September 22nd 2017

Couldn't agree more, I like Hell & Home better too but god-damn is this a sweet follow-up. Kyle rips on every tune.

Lefondre
September 22nd 2017

The closing track is an absolute crusher...

Digging: Converge - The Dusk in Us

that was quick lol

HarryBoBerry

onionbubs
September 22nd 2017

this rips hard. never thought id like a counterparts album this much. I guess ill have to retry their earlier stuff

Digging: Gang of Youths - Go Farther in Lightness

September 22nd 2017

Hard to believe all these high ratings. This was boring as fuck imo

Everything they do sounds the same.

Digging: Beastmilk - Climax

iChuckles
September 22nd 2017

"Pos'd. Nice review. Cant wait to jam this"

Thanks man!

"So does this riff harder than the last album? If so count me in. I'm a big fan of Hell & Home and Prophets."

This album is so much better than "Tradgedy.." it's not even funny. Every track is a fucking banger.

Sinternet

album rips nice review

anyone know if theyre good live? they're touring the uk soon

FrwrdMtphr

Album completely rips. Absolute banger

hogan900
September 22nd 2017

From what I've seen online they have decent live performances, super energetic

outliers
September 22nd 2017

album bangs. second fav of theirs only behind Prophets

JayEnder
September 22nd 2017

Amazing review man. Pos'd.

The boys are back at it. I had high hopes for this album based on the singles, and lets just say I'm certainly not disappointed. Every single track on here is fucking massive. Brendan's scathing vocals alongside the addition of Blake and Adrian on guitar, as well as Kyle on drums is amazing chemistry to listen to. I would 5 this if it wasn't so damn short... My only complaint is that this album leaves you wanting more.

Digging: Ghost Atlas - All Is In Sync, and There's Nothing Left to Sing

Conmaniac

19730 Comments

hell yes another chorts feature. keep killin it man

ProjectFreak
September 22nd 2017

Great review, hopefully I like this more than the band's past work. I vaguely remember giving them a listen and not finding much that's too memorable, but I'm happy to be proven wrong

onionbubs
September 22nd 2017

Just relistened to prophets and it banged hard

JeetJeet
September 22nd 2017

This is tied with TDBHAH for their best album

MarsKid