Zola Jesus
Okovi

good

by Divaman USER (83 Reviews)
September 18th, 2017 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sometimes in order to move forward, you have to take a step back.

When I first jumped onto the Zola Jesus train, it was already in motion. So I hit the floor hard, rolled for about six feet and smashed the back of my skull against the iron wall. I sat up, rubbing my head in confusion. Who is this Zola Jesus" Her birth name is Nicole Hummel, but she also goes by Nika Roza Danilova. Wikipedia says Zola Jesus is a person, but her bio on Sputnik says its a band. They said her music mixed electronic, industrial, classic and goth. But when I listened to her 2014 album Taiga, what I heard sounded more like alternative pop. My brain swam with bewilderment. Who is Zola Jesus" Maybe she's as confused as I am.

Perhaps that's the raison d'etre for Okovi, Zola Jesus' new album. In order to find who she is, Zola Jesus has taken a step back. I don't mean it in a derogatory way. It's more of a fortification thing. Sometimes, in order to move forward, you have to take a step back -- back to your roots to remember who you really are. With this album, Danilova has stepped back in as many ways as she can think of. She moved from Seattle back to Wisconsin, to simplify her life and regain some peace of mind. She moved from the Mute label, the label on which she released Taiga, back to Sacred Bones, her original label. And she moved her music back to the darker, more distinctive, goth-tinged style for which she originally was known. In more ways than not, this is a good thing.

The sounds of Okovi are mostly quite beautiful. The album is dominated by synths and string instruments (lots of violins, cellos and the like), supporting Danilova's ethereal (and sometimes electronically altered) vocals. A few of the tracks feature industrial-type beats, but many of them offer very limited percussion, giving the album something of an unearthly feel.

Okovi is a dark album, but not a bleak one. On it, Danilova deals with serious subject matter -- suicide, mental turmoil, the possible meaningless of life. Somehow, though, she faces these difficult issues from a position of self-assurance. On "Wiseblood", the album's best track, she asks us (and herself) this essential question: "If it doesn't make you wiser/Doesn't make you stronger/Doesn't make you live a little bit/What are you doing"" And from this state of inner strength, she faces down demons which in the past have threatened to overwhelm her. So while the lyrics often contain images of death and questions about emptiness ("What remains of us"/... I'm, I'm nothing" from "Remains"), there are also representations of rebirth ("Let it sing, don't let it hold you down/In the static you were reborn" from "Exhumed") as a counterbalance.

Whereas Taiga found Danilova changing her style, searching for more mainstream appeal, or maybe just wanting to try something different, Okovi finds her rediscovering herself. As a result, she's made a better, and more memorable) album.

So who is Zola Jesus" Not even she knows for sure, but she's figuring it out. And judging by Okovi, she's back on the right track.

Gwen Stefani You Make It Feel Like ChristmasYes Topographic Drama - Live Across America
Celtic Woman The Best of ChristmasBest Ex Ice Cream Antisocial
The Fixx Reach the BeachLindsey Buckingham / Christine McVie Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie

September 18th 2017

This was my first Zola Jesus experience, but I was floored by this. Soak is one of my favorite songs this year.

September 18th 2017

"Soak" is also one of my favorite songs on the album,

Digging: Neil Cavanagh - City of the Sun, Valley of the Moon

hesperus
September 18th 2017

yeah, Soak is definitely the album highlight

Chortles

20895 Comments

great review! I still need to hear this

ONEPUNCHMAN

What a spook

Sinternet

how u gonna give this only a 3 lmao fuck off wanker

Digging: Charli XCX - Pop2

September 18th 2017

For me, it fell between a 3 and a 3.5. I rounded down. Would have given it a 3.2 or 3.3 if I was a contributor, better than "good", but just short of "great".

Lucid
September 18th 2017

this grew off me unfortunately. the melodies and songwriting are there but the production isn't unique or weird enough. prob closer to a 3.5, although it's her best work since stridulum

September 18th 2017

Great review Diva! Hard pos.

Man, what a month, Zola, Myrkur, Wolfe...

September 19th 2017

Thanks Dewinged.

brandontaylor
September 19th 2017

this reads like more than a 3, and i've only listened once but it definitely sounds like its gonna be a 3.5-4. soak is fantastic

butcherboy
September 21st 2017

still need to listen to her.. pos, Diva, great job..

October 3rd 2017

Good review btw Diva.

This album is awesome. Doma is so heavenly and haunting at the same time. Amazing intro to the album. The way those strings kick in on Exhumed is so powerful. Such a strong track. Soak is incredible. Favorite on here for sure. Witness is so pretty. Siphon has a nice immediacy to it despite it's dark subject matter. And Veka is probably my second favorite. The way that track builds is stunning. And that's only like half the album. Not a track on here I didn't like tbh.

October 4th 2017

Nailed it man.

Jips
October 9th 2017

this rules

twwerkcity
October 19th 2017

Holy shit Witness legitimately moves me to tears every time I hear it... what a hauntingly beautiful album.

TetraVaal
October 25th 2017

Probably the most underrated album of the year.

October 27th 2017

You might be right.

BlushfulHippocrene
December 9th 2017

2068 Comments

Oh my, I love this. I've listened to no other Zola Jesus, though, is this a fine place to start?

December 9th 2017