END (NJ)
From the Unforgiving Arms of God

by Winsomniac USER (23 Reviews)
September 14th, 2017 | 109 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Gone Feral.

If heaviness is the currency metal trades in, aggression is the coin of hardcore. END's debut EP distills a rage barely recognizable as human into a sweaty mosh pit of noise that frankly makes even some of the most crushing breakdowns seem like the calm eye of a storm of sound. With most songs containing only the haphazard idea of true structure, From the Unforgiving Arms of God is chaos incarnate. Brendan Murphy's vocal performance is utterly devastating, completely abandoning the discernable shouting-styled screaming that has long been a staple of his presence in Counterparts.

Where most of the material teased out from Counterparts' upcoming full-length features a calculated, meticulous approach to carnage, the six loosely tied off snippets of hell on earth that END label as songs evoke a reckless, senseless, near-animal rage. To be fair, closing track "Survived By Nothing" does slow down the frenetic cadence set by the rest of the album. Even this respite, however, is brief and ultimately futile.

Perhaps best described as a cataclysmic onslaught of noise punctuated by a guttural sodomization of language, From the Unforgiving Arms of God exacts a steep toll upon its listeners. Tracks like Necessary Death demonstrate a complete and utter disdain for civility that gorges on all the gaps left by modern life's unceasing procession of structure and order.

Brandishing an impressive mastery over the various stylistic weapons in the hardcore arsenal, From the Unforgiving Arms of God resoundingly smashes any doubts as to whether END's departure from the core sound of the members' main bands would work out. Short and sweet, this is a gratuitously cathartic kick to the ears.

You'll probably want to plan ahead and just set aside time to fix your soon-to-be broken furniture now.

Windrunner MAICitizen As You Please
Tigers Jaw spinJon Benjamin Well I Should Have... (Learned How To Play Piano)
Aversions Crown XenocideTycho Epoch

September 14th 2017

Whew! Who cares if you can't sleep as long as you do something semi-productive with the time, right?

InFiction
September 14th 2017

Good review, nice work. Been loving this EP.

FrwrdMtphr
September 14th 2017

Fantastic review. Absolutely hits every single point in a informative manner. You're completely right, it's heavy as all hell. I believe this to be one of the greatest releases in hardcore history, not even recent history, just in general.

JeetJeet
September 14th 2017

I fuckin love this review lol. Pos. Haven't heard the full ep, but Chewing Glass damn near made my head explode. Can't wait to hear this.

Digging: Lucki - Freewave 3

Confessed2005
September 14th 2017

This sounds like something I would definitely enjoy. Good review also.

NastyCrab

Yessssss loved Usurper, can't wait to jam this. Pos

September 14th 2017

Thanks for the kind words, folks! Glad you guys liked the review; I was definitely hoping to just make a case to get everyone jamming this because holy shit it SLAMS.

Ignimbrite
September 14th 2017

can we talk about how fucking hard the last minute of the title track is

September 14th 2017

Only if we can talk about how fucking savage the breakdown in the end of Necessary Death is afterwards.

FearThyEvil
September 14th 2017

Why is this band tagged under black metal?

rc239
September 14th 2017

it would appear as though there's two bands named "end" combined into one band page

VaxXi
September 14th 2017

"From the Unforgiving Arms of God is chaos incarnate."

I don't believe this entire sentence was meant to be italicized?

Snake.

OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING

Digging: American Football - American Football (LP3)

@VaxXi: Thanks! Good catch dude! I went and fixed it

JeetJeet

This is hard as bricks

Space Jester
September 15th 2017

I think Counterparts is boring as hell but this sounds sick af

Hard neg

VaxXi
September 15th 2017

this EP sure as hell ain't a hard neg tho

September 15th 2017

I'm sure it's pretty good, the review is all sorts of lol tho. Nonsense masturbatory wordiness and profound but ultimately meaningless sentiments.

Mordecai.
September 15th 2017

Good review. Where can I hear this?