Corbin
Mourn

by davidwave4 USER (54 Reviews)
September 11th, 2017 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Time to make amends

This may sound weird, but I feel weirdly nostalgic about Mourn, despite it being days old. Part of that is my connection to the artist formerly known as Spooky Black - I have fond memories listening to Couch Potato and Leaving. But more than that is the ethos that the album evokes. This album is basically an emo record, more in the vein of Brand New or Saosin than contemporaries like Thaiboy Digital or Allan Kingdom. The result is a record that works in spite of fundamental issues and structural limitations that would make records by other artists unbearable.

Let’s start with Mourn’s biggest issue: Corbin himself. Or at least his voice. Somewhere in the transition from Spooky Black to Corbin, he discovered his screaming voice, a ragged and barely functional tone that, while emotional, is a pain to listen to for extended periods of time. While “worn” worked because of its structure (which was a slow build to the catharsis of his pained wail), most of the tracks here presuppose our tolerance for this tone, resulting in tracks built almost entirely around Corbin’s desperately trying to hit a note.

What keeps this record from lapsing into Yung Lean territory is that the pained delivery seems function as an extension of the songwriting, which is almost uniformly bleak. There’s not a song on here that seems cleaned up to serve as a single, there’s no up-tempo diversions or saccharine love songs to keep the top 40 crowd invested. From start to finish, the record seems almost dead-set on self-abnegation and self-destruction, with the lyrics going from dark (“call me out, it’s all I ask”) to darker (“How does it feel pushing deep into your arm" Wouldn't call it self harm, yeah you swear it's how you are”) to pitch-black (“Did he touch you where you said he did"/Losing color from the thought of it/You say he knew that you were just a kid"/Want him dead that ***ing piece of ***”). It’s almost enough to make you stop listening, especially around “Revenge Song,” which tells the twisted story of two ne’er-do-wells tracking down a rapist, beating him within an inch of his life, and then shooting him to keep him from calling the police. The album is loosely conceptualized around a pair of recluses (Corbin and his never-named female companion) who decamp to the woods, only for him to die and for her to lapses into depression and dies too. The narrative is poorly formed and plays a fairly minimal role in the songs (they’re all self-contained narrative exercises), but the tone of that story, its inherent hopelessness (you can never escape your problems, your loved ones will die, ***’s ***ed, etc.) colors the whole package. And Corbin’s vocals match that hopelessness, his voice always sounding like he’s on the verge of tears, a breakdown, or a fit of rage. It’s this piece that, to me, connects Mourn to a deeper lineage of emo and post-punk records. His vocal isn’t supposed to be pretty or even really melodic. It’s a blunt instrument, used to coax maximum angst and emotion out of the listener by any means necessary. If he has to scream the chorus to “Dragged” to hammer home the despair, he will do it.

The production also evokes that cold, Midwestern emo feel. Handled jointly by D33J and Shlohmo, the sonics here convey the solitude of the north with eerie accuracy, with minor bits of aural trickery introduced to draw the listener out into the cold. The aforementioned “Revenge Song” is given an earworm of a synth-line that makes it seem almost childish, even as the subject matter delves into darker and darker territory. “Dragged” is one of the only songs here that registers a pulse, with its stilted groove making it vaguely danceable (even as Corbin sings about desperately trying to salvage a toxic and broken relationship tainted by his past). The title track is the sole concession to the “trap-&-b” crowd, with a wilting keyboard line, echoed vocals, and a tinny trap beat lending Corbin’s declaration of emotional stability a hollow feeling (if Mourn proves anything, it’s definitely not Corbin’s emotional stability or contentment).

Mourn ultimately is a hard record to recommend. The lyrics vacillate between juvenile angst and deeply disturbing fare, the vocals are passable at best, and the production, while stunning in execution, is uniformly dark. But the niche appeal of this record is what makes it so special to me. This record feels uniquely, almost devastatingly, personal and emotive in a way that almost no records even attempt. It feels voyeuristic listening to some of these songs as they recount drug abuse, passionless sex, attempted suicide, and other horrific things. Corbin’s pained vocals lend his missives authenticity, and the production does a tremendous job of complementing the vocals and accenting the lyrics. In this way, Mourn stands as a twisted, deeply broken triumph, one that definitely warrants attention.

Sampha Process6LACK Free 6LACK
Bonobo MigrationPink Guy Pink Season
Yung Lean Frost GodJ. Cole 4 Your Eyez Only

brainmelter
September 11th 2017

ahhh I fucking love when there are a whole bunch of the color green on album covers

Digging: Infester - To the Depths... In Degradation

Calc
September 11th 2017

read some article about how great this apparently was but the guy's voice. yuck

LewisShaw
September 11th 2017

Really great review, agree for the most part

I really hope this dude is okay because the lyrics on this thing are devastating after he just disappeared for a few years

Find myself listening to Something Safe on repeat since this was released

LewisShaw
September 11th 2017

His voice grows on you tbh, I wasn't a fan of some of the hooks on here but after 3 or 4 listens I can't get them out of my head

JamieTwort
September 12th 2017

This is really fucking good.

Digging: Open Mike Eagle - Brick Body Kids Still Daydream

Jmsgytt
September 12th 2017

I don't think you can say there's nothing that you could call a single, is "All Out" missing from your copy. That's a full list 80's Synthpop banger.

davidwave4
September 15th 2017

@nocuffin Thanks for the pos!

I don't really hate Yung Lean, but I think he's emblematic of a lot of what's wrong with internet-derived ambient hip-hop. I think that the kind of garbage he got away with has become the template that a lot of Soundclouders (including vastly more successful acts like Lil Uzi Vert) turn to in order to generate hype and become famous. Since he's functionally the progenitor of the style, he makes for a really good touchstone. It also helps that, in many ways, he's a joke.

There's barely any trap percussion on the album at all (as noted in the review). The closest analog is probably in industrial music, but industrial isn't nearly as insular IMHO, which was the reason for the comparison. The comparison is more ethos-driven.

@Jmsgytt I guess it's marginally more uptempo than the other songs here, but as with pretty much all the songs here, the lyrics are definitely not going to make a bunch of kids and 20-somethings get excited in a club. Songs about intense, depressive longing don't make for good pop songs unless the Weeknd is singing them apparently.

hal1ax
September 15th 2017

you think uzi is vastly more successful than lean? is this an objective claim, like based on him being more popular among the general populace or do you think he is just that much better? cuz i personally think lean shits on uzi...

Illoomorpheme
September 15th 2017

Half enjoyed Spooky Black a few years ago, and am super impressed with how good this is.

P0laris

Man, Revenge Song gave me chills

bach
September 28th 2017

my man lil spook changing the game

FourthReich
October 26th 2017

hell yea stoked someone reviewed this. GREAT album, pretty insane for his first serious debut. dude has huge talent, definitely a 4

FourthReich
October 26th 2017

have you heard his recent stuff? its on par with this