Inanimate Existence

good

by Jacquibim STAFF
September 10th, 2017 | 35 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: After a fall from grace, Inanimate Existence find form once again.

Few tech-death albums have had me awaiting their arrival with equal parts enthusiasm and dread, but Inanimate Existence's Underneath a Melting Sky was one of them. The band were a known quantity, with their sophomore, A Never-Ending Cycle of Atonement, standing as a monument to their artistic and technical chops. However, their escapade into faux-experimentalism shortly after had soured my impression of them. But O ye of little faith, who was I to doubt" For Underneath a Melting Sky is the sound of a band coming of age and finding their own niche: a body of work in which ambition is somewhat counterweighted by self-awareness and tact.

Embellishments are present yet subtle, and while Inanimate Existence can shred with the best of them, they play well within their abilities for the bulk of their latest opus. This isn't to say that fretboard acrobatics are absent; there are smatterings of sweeps and taps here and there, but they're used as means to ends. The band focuses on developing songs in ways that are coherent yet very intuitive, regularly stepping outside of comfort zones only to make new domains their own. Sure, the stream-of-consciousness song-writing can allow your focus to wander, as some tracks may come and go with nary an impression made. Zack Ohren's mastering doesn't help here; that said, the tones on the album aren't nearly as dry or tinny as we've come to expect from some of his usual clients (read: Fallujah). With Underneath a Melting Sky barely surpassing half-an-hour, it is still more than listenable one sitting at a time.

Dips in interest notwithstanding, you're bound to be coaxed back into a trance by at least one of the album's ethereal leads or infectious grooves. “The Old Man in The Meadow” is a stunning blend of flair and soul, with the leads having an almost gossamer quality to them. Sporadic bottom-string chugging punctuates songs as opposed to filling them out, which works to bolster the more climactic moments further still. Underneath a Melting Sky is thus everything its misguided precursor tried to be (sans clean vocals), heralding an infinitely brighter future than I could've hoped for them this time last year.

Inconcessus Lux Lucis The Crowning QuietusArchspire Relentless Mutation
Vacivus Temple Of The AbyssIncantation Profane Nexus
Impetuous Ritual Blight Upon Martyred SentienceSuffocation …Of the Dark Light

Jacquibim
September 10th 2017

Better late than never I guess

birb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOYGb7_ReSI

stream: https://theartisanera.bandcamp.com/album/underneath-a-melting-sky

trilogique21
September 10th 2017

wasn't expecting this to be any good after their last one but ended up pleasantly surprised. solid album.

Digging: Tchornobog - Tchornobog

kingdedethefifth
September 10th 2017

Sounds like a rockin release, will check. Also great review as usual my dude.

brainmelter
September 10th 2017

real nice write up jac, though this reads like it's a lil higher than a 3.2. but hey, it's not my review

Digging: Outre - Ghost Chants

Gameofmetal
September 10th 2017

i genuinely wonder sometimes if they hired a different shittier band to make calling from a dream, marketed it under their name as a social experiment/troll, and have now actually recorded the album they released

Jacquibim

lol maybe

Even tho I absolutely hated Calling From a Dream, I at least have to give them props for trying something different

verdant

1922 Comments

love it jac, well done. i will not check this.

MarsKid
September 11th 2017

jac reviewing tech-death, what a world

Gameofmetal
September 11th 2017

i think this album sounds a lot better than it is just because of the quality of the record it follows. not bad either way.

Dinosaur
September 12th 2017

Listened to this by chance. It's good, if a bit forgettable.

mindleviticus
September 13th 2017

this is easily the best thing they've done

DatBeefPudding

agreed

Digging: Hollow Prophet - Hellhole

Insurrection
September 13th 2017

heard a couple songs from their last album and was disgusted. glad they're getting their shit together

danielito19
September 14th 2017

11930 Comments

cover reminds me of morbus chron do these guys psych or is it just dweedle death

MarsKid
September 15th 2017

Is there a better kind tho?

Hawks
September 17th 2017

This is pretty much what I was expecting.

Digging: The Body and Full Of Hell - Ascending a Mountain of Heavy Light

TheNotrap
September 19th 2017

Nice review.

Cameron's riffs are the most interesting element of the album. Didn't know these guys left Unique Leader.

Digging: Desolate Shrine - Deliverance From The Godless Void

Drifter
October 25th 2017

I like the artwork for this album

brainmelter
October 25th 2017

I never got the desire to check this after their last one, I'll peep a track

Nomos
November 16th 2017

drama alert
ken sorceron claiming the vocalist is a rapist because of attention-seeking me-too false rape claim, dropped from tour, FB comments are gold

Keene was later heard telling reporters, "This time it wasn't me who drug our name through the mud!"