Future Islands
Singles

by Jordan M. STAFF
September 1st, 2017 | 16 replies

Release Date: 03/25/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I’ve grown tired trying to change for you.

I don’t want to overstate or overrate the importance of Future Islands’ performance on David Letterman, on the 3rd of March 2014. But it was important. It felt important. Not least of all because, lyrically and musically, it’s one of those imprecise songs that touch on the human condition, completely owning a deceptively simple melody and chord progression. There’s a lot of songs that it reminds me of, like “Bizarre Love Triangle,” or “Everybody Wants to Rule the World,” or basically any song where the musical emphasis is on a jangly, synthesised instrumental, but it doesn’t matter. Set to Samuel T. Herring’s manic declarations of love, hope for desire, and desire for change, it all falls into place beautifully, in a way that pop songs just don’t do very often. It’s a fucking masterpiece, and everyone should know it. Everyone should watch its performance on The Late Show, where Herring alternates between jerky, Springsteen-inspired dance moves and death metal gutturals. Not only does the audience seemed stunned, but Letterman seems stunned; Paul Shaffer seems stunned. ‘Love this band,’ Shaffer says. Herring seems stunned, bemused; dumbfounded. The applause is endless. It’s a fucking masterpiece.

It’s a shame that Singles, the album “Seasons (Waiting on You)” comes from, is not quite as consistently entertaining or life affirming (and I mean that in the most genuine sense, “Seasons” very well might have ‘saved my life’), nor as impactful as their best work, this year’s The Far Field. But it’s just as prone to these moments of expressiveness and danceable fever, stacked hooks upon hooks and synths behind synths. It’s beautiful, in the way that most music isn’t. Its title says as much- where any songs could be the single, but just one of them became the single. I wonder why nobody bothered to review it until today, but then I don’t want to wallow in that negativity, bothering to consider why nobody cares. It’s reviewed now, along with my endorsement. Buy it, stream it, download it; I don’t care. Just listen to it. This band could be your life.

Pusha T DAYTONAPost Malone beerbongs and bentleys
J. Cole K.O.D.Manic Street Preachers Resistance Is Futile
Young Thug Hear No EvilThe Weeknd My Dear Melancholy,

brainmelter
August 31st 2017

'Could' be my life. Nope, thanks for the read anyways. grateful

Digging: Imperial Triumphant - Vile Luxury

Chortles
August 31st 2017

very, very good. this is the perfect review for this actually, it feels most appropriate given the sudden and ridiculous appraisal "seasons" got after letterman and the fact that it somehow never got covered here. much love

Digging: Ishome - Confession

SandwichBubble

Those moves are sick.

Digging: Poison Girls - Hex

September 1st 2017

Album title is very confusing

Digging: Mr. Muthafuckin eXquire - Lost in Translation

IsItLuck?
September 1st 2017

I hadn't realized this album didn't have a review, love it nonetheless

kris.
September 1st 2017

i used to hate this band solely for that letterman performance but then i actually listened to this a few months ago and yeah its pretty good

theNateman
September 1st 2017

Still not sure what to think about those death metal growls but these guys slay yo.

September 1st 2017

my favourite band at the moment, though this is probably their weakest

houseofleaves
September 2nd 2017

@anatelier: which album would you recommend me to listen? I've been listening A LOT to The Far Field since it came out, but haven't listened to any of their other records.

September 2nd 2017

Great album, pales in comparison to the far field though

Same with evening air

Nikkolae
September 3rd 2017

I cannot believe this didn't had a review, that being said I'm sorta glad it got reviewed so well right now, best god damn ban in the world

Digging: Skycamefalling - 10.21

September 3rd 2017

houseofleaves: in evening air and the far field are their bests for sure, debut is quite unpolished and on the water is a calmer affair

Cygnatti
September 4th 2017

there are cool songs on here, falls short as an album imo

WeepingBanana
September 6th 2017

Revisited In Evening Air a few days ago and it still crushes

Everything after isn't as good but I remember liking this well enough. Dunno if I'll check out new stuff tho

September 6th 2017

You're doing yourself a disservice if you skip the new one imo