Tera Melos
Trash Generator

by tyler USER (8 Reviews)
September 1st, 2017 | 41 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Tera Melos release their best album since their debut.

I have always held a lot of respect for Tera Melos; their ability to craft instrumentals was rivaled by very few. Their contemporaries that utilized the same start-stop, herky jerky time signatures always came off a little awkward. Usually this is intentional, however Tera Melos has always managed to sound very graceful, even during their most awkward moments. It seems like it comes so naturally to them, as if they were casually jamming and that’s what happened to come out. Even when they started incorporating vocals into their music they didn’t lose their ability to do so. The problem with Nick taking vocal duties was the fact that the band put so much emphasis on them, and their desire to be a pop band.

For some of Patagonian Rats and most of X’ed out the band ignored what made them great for the sake of making some more straightforward songs, with some crazy math rock sections mixed in. They’ve never quite been able to pull it off. Until now. On Trash Generator they sound so much more comfortable with the addition of vocals, and with putting them front and center. From the very first track this is apparent. ‘System Preferences’ opens with nothing but a peculiar bassline and Nick singing. His odd melody fits in perfectly and completely makes the track. It being one of the tamest, instrumentally speaking, and it manages to be one of the best due to good songwriting, which is what most of the album boils down to. The song is a greater than the sum of its parts, with each individual part coming together for no purpose other than serving the track; the guitar refrain isn’t flashy in the least bit, but like the vocals it is captivating enough to carry the song until completion. The end of ‘Warpless Run’ sees Nick’s soaring vocals take center stage after an extremely chaotic instrumental passage; the dense bridge contrasts well with the catchy, explosive finish. This is analogous of the rest of the album; the hyper, out of control moments make the slower, quieter parts seem so much more potent, and vice versa.

The production is much improved when compared to X’ed out. The use of guitar effects and other wacky sounds is used so much more tastefully now. They’re still everywhere, but more appropriately and less just for the sake of it. Moreover instrumental side of the album is where it truly shines. Some of these songs are absolutely blood-pumping, while some are more reserved. ‘A Universal Gonk’ is mostly low key, and even segue into a nice saxophone solo, and does so very naturally. The creativity the band has shown since day one is still very apparent here, and shows no signs of slowing down. For once the instrumental side of the band doesn’t completely overshadow the actual songwriting. It may to an extent, however the band has taken a massive step in the right direction.

Dance Gavin Dance Artificial SelectionJohn Cage 4'33''
The Goslings Grandeur of HairTchornobog Tchornobog
Plebeian Grandstand LowgazersEl Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez Lopez Cryptomnesia

uhhh a few things:

1. this is probaly a 4.2 or 4.3 but w/e thats not importat i guess

2. claire and blush helped me with this thanks guys yr the best

3. i know i def have room to improve so pls critique if you can thanks dudes. writing does not come naturally to me

dbizzles
August 31st 2017

No room for improvement, imo. Great review, Tyler. Been meaning to check this.

Digging: Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes

Sunnyvale
August 31st 2017

I keep forgetting about this album, gotta check it out.

SandwichBubble
August 31st 2017

"The production is much improved after X’ed out."
Maybe switch out "after" with "compared to" or something

Digging: Samara Lubelski - In The Valley

Word

clavier

yo, nice feature

Digging: Feed Me Jack - Ultra Ego

Dewinged
September 1st 2017

Loved "X’ed out", here I go Mera Telos.

Good review Tyler.

Digging: Elizabeth Colour Wheel - Nocebo

September 1st 2017

Wow I got a feature sweet

BlushfulHippocrene
September 1st 2017

Very well-deserved feature, man, good job. Haven't heard this band, might as well start here.

Digging: Angel Du$t - Pretty Buff

Conmaniac
September 1st 2017

quick creature tyler, yummy review for a slippery band

September 1st 2017

Check their debut blush tbh

Jacquibim
September 1st 2017

Review simply explodes, reverses and violates

Hardest pos I ever did give

Dedes
September 1st 2017

This review fucking SUCKED.
Nah it was good, nice to see you writing dude.

Thanks guys lol

JohnnyoftheWell
September 1st 2017

Oh my shit, this came out of nowhere and I am kinda hyped. Love their early work but X'd Out lost me; can I expect any Drugs to the Dear Youth vibes? Pos'd of course ;]

Digging: BUCK-TICK - Atom Miraiha No.9

Evok
September 1st 2017

Sweeet, gotta peep this. Always been a big fan of these guys.

Digging: ETCH - Ups & Downs

Spluger

1954 Comments

Great review man. This is quickly becoming one of my albums of the year.

ProjectFreak
September 1st 2017

Apparently I 3.5'd X'ed Out, but I don't remember a single thing from that album.

This one, however, is pretty good. System Preference is stellar.

widowslaugh123
September 1st 2017

This album is awesome. Great mix of pop and complex technicality. Sort of sounds like if Elliott smith fronted an art-pop math rock record. Good review. Pos

zarling53
September 1st 2017

To be honest the sugary-ness pop approach on X'ed Out was way more complementary to their sound and influences (Weezer, Beach Boys, etc.) and the wackiness make it stand out as unique. It was like that episode of the Simpsons where Bart and Milhouse trip out from the sludgy slurpee. This album is good, but i think they were more on the right track with X'ed Out. This album is much more mechanical to me despite the better production and more confident vocals.