Sannhet

by Atari STAFF
August 31st, 2017 | 42 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's all about your perception

So Numb is an album that instantly draws you in with its towering concept: an intimate and solely instrumental study of life’s unavoidable suffering - but more importantly, the light that awaits us at the end of the tunnel. With the trio channeling their demons of addiction and mental health struggles into their music, Sannhet have unleashed a narrative-driven follow-up to Revisionist that depicts a mother trying in vain to mask her son’s eyes from the world’s cold realities. Try as she may, her protective arm only encourages bad habits in her son, pushing him to seek comfort in the temporary shelters from the real world.

This is where So Numb seems to operate: in those brief in-between moments when we escape our reality and just let go. For an album dealing with such heavy themes, it often feels more tranquil than it does dark. Even as the thundering drums and bass kick into overdrive on “Salts” or “Indigo Illusion”, there’s always a sense of beauty in the alluring instrumentation. Much of it, though, is near-impossible to describe. With a sound that dabbles in so many genres from post-rock to black metal, none of the songs feel firmly rooted to a specific style. “Secondary Arrows” has touches of classical with its warm, hushed piano; on the other hand, “Wind Up” is a unique ambient track full of vibrant, crashing sounds that loop in circles with ease. This sense of unpredictability and Sannhet’s precise attention to detail give So Numb a riveting aura, despite some imperfections.

So Numb is – for better or for worse – what you perceive it to be. Everyone experiences suffering in a different way, so putting an album of this nature under scrutiny is a difficult task. Even so, it feels like the music could use an extra kick at times given the subject matter at hand. It’s a complex, gorgeous sounding album with a stirring theme, but the music is rarely melancholic or jarring enough to match life’s unspeakable sadness; instead, it seems to be a beacon of optimism during dark times. In many ways, it feels more relaxed and indirect than its predecessor, leaving plenty of room for your imagination to run wild. Gone are the bizarre dialogue snippets heard on “Revisionist”, but the soaring blackgaze elements on the title track and the minimalistic flow of “Fernbeds” prove just as captivating. How well the music ties into the concept is largely personal, but So Numb is an absorbing collection of soundscapes and drones that allow you to escape reality – if only for a moment.

Spanish Love Songs SchmaltzNatalie Hemby Puxico
Winterfylleth The Hallowing of HeirdomRunaway Brother New Pocket
Alela Diane CuspBrigid Mae Power The Two Worlds

Known Flood

August 30th 2017

big thanks to Rowan for the proofread! feedback much appreciated

album has some really nice moments but also some slow ones (the title track and salts are 2 of the best imo) fans of post-rock/metal, experimental or blackgaze should give it a shot

Digging: Mikaela Davis - Delivery

August 30th 2017

I've only heard Known Flood and don't like it at all, but I promised Zar I would jam this sooooo I'm gonna give it a go now. m/

Ok yeah def not digging this one either. Band bores me hard. :[

Digging: Pale - EP

August 31st 2017

all good. I'm working on a write-up for Finisterre if that makes you feel better Hawks :] that one floored me

artiswar
August 31st 2017

Been listening to this a lot. The way I see it, the album's 'hope' is intertwined with its darkness to the extent that neither can exist without the other. Even while the album is raising my spirit, it's making me dwell on the bad times. It's an intimate cocktail of mixed emotions that can be as draining as it is hypnotic.

August 31st 2017

Yessss great news! Idk if it's better than their s/t but it's very, very close.

August 31st 2017

@artiswar, well put, man. I think with it being an instrumental album there's a lot left up to our interpretation. any favorite tracks?

Taxt
August 31st 2017

This is pretty solid. Really cool guitar tones.

Spacesh1p
August 31st 2017

Band is boring Pitchfork core. Don't see why they get any hype to be honest.

Nice short review though.

Willie
August 31st 2017

This is pretty good, but I can only really get into their debut.

butcherboy
August 31st 2017

Beauty of a write-up.. can't say I'll be checking this

RustCohle
August 31st 2017

The debut is the most vicious of their releases, but this is surely a good output, seriously wondering why it gets such weak reception here on sputnik.

Digging: Imperial Triumphant - Vile Luxury

August 31st 2017

cheers butcher and spaceman, glad you enjoyed the review even if you find them boring

I need to get on their debut, only heard this and Revisionist

ProjectFreak
August 31st 2017

Nice work Atari. Giving this a shot now and I adore the production.

Conmaniac

ayy an Atari review, much love (:

Conmaniac
August 31st 2017

wonderfully written man as usual. sounds like a cool conceptual album, love it when instrumental albums are like that.

Sniff
August 31st 2017

So Numb is also the feeling this conveys. So great job on aptly naming the album.

Dedes

Once I'm off my Emperor binge I'll probably check this haha

artiswar

@atari

The Way Out, Sleep Well and Secondary Arrows stand out the most to me right now. I love the moments of Cure Disintegration worship that are peppered in. Also despite how long and minimalist the single Salts is, its grown on me a lot.

Wizard

20186 Comments

Perfect review!

August 31st 2017

Don't waste your time King.