Incantation

good

by Jacquibim STAFF
August 17th, 2017 | 126 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sound but stagnant.

Half the fun in writing about extreme metal comes from the liberties you're not just allowed, but actively encouraged, to take with your tone. Bombastic prose and allegories go hand-in-hand with the genre's inherent theatricality, which is why albums like Incantation's Profane Nexus frustrate me to no end. It's competent to a fault, checking all the boxes for what seems like the twentieth time but rousing next to nothing in the process. All the while, Onward to Golgotha just turned twenty-five – its bewitching candour continuing to prompt more conversation than this album ever will.

Maybe I'm just being too cynical, because Profane Nexus is far from a hollow mockery of what came before it. Hell, composition-wise, it squares up to its ancestors fairly well; these veterans surely haven't lost their knack for segueing between cascading doom and oscillating tremolo lines with ample fluidity. “Visceral Hexahedron” and “Messiah Nostrum” both exploit this tactic to stirring effect, all the while ensuring that neither your foot nor head is ever stationary, and that your brows are suitably furrowed. Even at their most frenetic a la “Rites Of The Locust”, Incantation remain collected, delivering a tumult of riffs that sharply contrast with one another but tie together, thematically. However, that very fluidity, which is so valuable over the course of lone songs, has the side-effect of scuffing the lines between them.

Though points of interest are present, they become all-too-easy to miss while blunders stick out like sore thumbs. McEntee's growls become ever-more unpalatable as they're force-fed to you on the musically-barren “Incorporeal Despair”. That said, the wannabe-macabre bore of a performance isn't too much of a distraction, at least once the rest of the band turn the wick back up during the minute-long “Xipe Totec”. From here on in, riffs are delivered like jabs before knock-out doom segments; those with keen senses will note their handy execution, but what Incantation have retained in terms of musical prowess, they've forfeited in vision.

Everything is just too tidy and measured, right down to the typewriter drums and quintessentially Relapse guitar-tone. 1995's Upon The Throne of Apocalypse stands as a testament to a band that was once willing to demand something otherwise considered “too filthy”, but times have changed and Incantation have grown up, I guess. I can only convey through text what the source material imbues in me, and Profane Nexus, for all of its adequacies, elicits little more than rose-tinted admiration for a group that gifted us more inspired works.

Revocation The Outer OnesTomb Mold Manor of Infinite Forms
Ritual Necromancy Disinterred HorrorRicercar Consort J.S. Bach: Consolatio
Portal IONInconcessus Lux Lucis The Crowning Quietus
3.3
Evok (4)
unfettered and unwavering, Incantation once again show their worshippers exactly how it's done....

brettgoespunk (3.5)
Slimy, sludgy, maniacal, Incantation....

August 16th 2017

If y'all wanna hear a band do Incantation better than Incantation (Spirit's words) in 2017, check the new Father Befouled and have a birb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYJB0zyjt70

Digging: Malthusian - Across Deaths

Dedes
August 16th 2017

So basically it's Incantation if Incantation kind of forgot how to do Incantation

August 16th 2017

It's Incantation if Incantation were that one friend you used to have who was a real crazy cunt and you lost contact with him only to catch up later and find out he became a straight edge vegan

You broke my heart Jac.

Digging: Sargeist - Unbound

Dude hawks

m/ m/ m/

Spacesh1p
August 16th 2017

Didn't know you were reviewing this, but my impression was around a 3 too.

Digging: Tyrants Blood - Into the Kingdom of Graves

August 16th 2017

Still love you Jac bro. m/

bbgames
August 16th 2017

Somewhere in between a 2.5 and a 3 for me. I'll never see myself listening to this again over any of their first 3.

Evok

You makin me sad Jac

Digging: Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure

August 16th 2017

I listen to new Incantation a lot. Obviously the first 3 are classic, but they've been very consistent over the years imo.

AdolfChrist
August 17th 2017

Father Befouled are mediocre as shit dude, their compositions arent half as creative as Incantations. Theyre just a 3rd rate knock-off. In fact, all the guitar work ive heard coming from the main guy behind FB has been pretty unremarkable and boring. I like Decrepitaph's last album but surprise surprise, he only played drums on it.

Digging: Ad Nauseam - Nihil Quam Vacuitas Ordinatum Est

Astral Abortis
August 17th 2017

Father Befouled rules, and Wayne is a pretty surreal guitarist most of the time. Especially in Ghoulgotha and Gloomed.

August 17th 2017

Just heard Father Befouled's new album, was my first experience with them but I dig it for sure.

TheSpirit
August 17th 2017

Father Befouled rule. They still sound threatening, fresh, and they're toying with the Incantation sound in new ways.

Evok
August 17th 2017

Gonna have to check them out it sounds like.

Inveigh
August 17th 2017

album rules, even if it's their cleanest production ever. sounds great to me. their last three albums have all shredded, but this might be the best of them. m/

OldCrime

Lay off the vegans.

DikkoZinner

AOTY candidate

August 18th 2017

Dirges is my fav of the past 3 but agreed Inveigh they all rip hard.

Xenophanes
August 18th 2017

Literally every Incantation album sounds the same so idk how this one is "stagnant" compared to the rest? Imo they've never sounded better aside from maybe Golgotha

Digging: Coheed and Cambria - Vaxis - Act I: The Unheavenly Creatures