Rings of Saturn
Ultu Ulla

2.0
poor

by ian b. USER (43 Reviews)
August 3rd, 2017 | 121 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: potential in the form of discounted projectile vomiting.

Rings of Saturn are a relatively… interesting band to say the least. Not in their musical composition, if it wasn’t already previously apparent; Rings of Saturn can not craft a song with actual structure or fluidity to save their life. Now that that’s out of the way for the uninformed, Rings of Saturn over the years have built up a quirky cult fanbase based on their dabblings into alien culture with their self-imposed blend of “aliencore” and tech-death. This basically means their guitars are played off the rails at a 100mph shitting out the most projectile liquid diarrhea into off-kilter muscle-meat breakdowns while some shithead screams at the top of his lungs (or throat in this case) about aliens or some shit with no effort to enunciate his words whatsoever. What they’re doing is original in some aspects, but the watered down breakdowns and garbage disposal-esque vocals that pop up every 20-45 seconds kill every unique and positive moment this album has to really offer.

It’s quite a shame though really, Rings of Saturn definitely have the potential to craft some decently written pieces with triumphant synthesizers and phenomenal lead guitar work. This idea is proven in songs like “Immemorial Essence” and their instrumental opus “The Macrocosm”, which not only contains some of the most creative and beautiful lead guitar work on this album, but in technical death metal as a whole. Like, if Rings of Saturn were actually able to conduct and perform a whole album, or even a handful of tracks similar in composition to “The Macrocosm”, they could create one of the most impressive and ravishing albums under the technical death metal label. However, this isn’t necessarily the case here, since they water themselves down with over-the-top triggered drums, overproduced and repetitive vocals, and most frivolously, an abundance of godawful breakdowns that would even bore Thy Art Is Murder fans to death. But until we get a fluid and well-structured album akin to “The Macrocosm”, we have this, which is just another disposable deathcore release that’s trying to be so much more, but refuses to grow the balls to do so.

Car Seat Headrest Twin Fantasy (Face to Face)McCafferty Yarn
Joyce Manor Joyce ManorJPEGMAFIA Veteran
Migos Culture IITiny Moving Parts Swell
good
Opethamphetamine (2.5)
Nothing new, but something strange....

1911 Comments

thought i'd give this a proper write up, especially since most of my recent reviews have been generally positive and this came pretty fluidly. constructive criticism is always appreciated as well :-) ALSO FUCKIN THANKS TO RAMON AND JACK FOR MAKING THIS WAY BETTER THAN IT PROBABLY WOULD BE AT FIRST AND THEY DO THAT WITH A GOOD CHUNK OF MY REVIEWS LIKE WOW CAN WE GET SOME APPRECIATION FOR THE LADS

Digging: Wicca Phase Springs Eternal - Suffer On

ramon.

brutal

verdant
August 3rd 2017

ian swoopin in to shave the day

p0s

THANKS MY DUDES

butcherboy
August 3rd 2017

ian, you're an unstoppable reviewing force.. I would pos just for the sauciness, but it deserves one regardles.

Digging: A.R. and Machines - Die Grune Reise

1911 Comments

thanks butcher, means a lot coming from you since you're pretty much the king of consistency you prolific cunt ahah

August 3rd 2017

Gonna check but not hopeful about it. I never did like this band

Digging: Vanum - Ageless Fire

BlushfulHippocrene
August 3rd 2017

Fantastic review, Ian. Keep this up, it's great.

Digging: Wicca Phase Springs Eternal - Suffer On

August 3rd 2017

Ya know what, its been years since ive even thought about this band and right now im pleasantly surprised with this album.

1911 Comments

thanks blush and im glad you are enjoying it evo :D also whoever ghost neg'd can eat my ass

August 3rd 2017

It happens. Its happened to me on some of my most well written stuff. Its just the angsty ghosts of sputnik doin their thing.

1911 Comments

prob just some butthurt RoS fan cuz they just ghost neg'd all of my reviews lol

Conmaniac
August 3rd 2017

really like ur second para ian, pos. also nice job at a shorter review, def fits ur style. I bet this is so bad

clavier
August 3rd 2017

Ah, I was going to cover this as well...from a slightly more positive angle. Good review, probably will be shifting my sights then

Bloon
August 3rd 2017

Good review, this record is bad, but kind of an improvement . Sorry to hear about the negs.

Digging: Melvins - Stoner Witch

SomeGuyDude
August 3rd 2017

Tech death isn't often built around cohesive melodies. I know the weedly weedlies turn some off, but even titans of the genre like Disgorge made songs that were incomprehensible.

I'll say that as someone who didn't like other RoS albums, this one actually sounded damn good to me.

Brewtality91
August 3rd 2017

^we await your verdict after repeat listens.

1911 Comments

thanks for the all positive words friends, means a lot since yall inspire me quite a bit also thanks to the mods for clearing up my shit :-)

1911 Comments

goddamn someone ghost neg'd all my reviews again someone is really not happy that i gave their fav band a mildly below average rating huh lol

Nocturtle
August 3rd 2017

Honestly it seems like you listened to this album one time and were ready to write a negative review beforehand. Its well written so I'll give you a pos but I don't feel like you gave this a fair chance