Mortiis

by Scuro F. STAFF
July 31st, 2017 | 29 replies

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Born to Rule

Some years ago, the cave-dwelling Norwegian creature known simply as Mortiis quietly debuted Født til å Herske, the quintessential dungeon synth classic largely responsible for a comparatively clandestine wave of similarly ignored midi-powered projects ever since. In its two movements which conspire to prove beyond doubt that atmosphere is everything, a former Emperor bassist and a keyboard entirely force reality aside, and within moments visual perception is rendered inconsequential. A handful of the greatest minds in history have preoccupied themselves with the riddle of time travel, but I'm inclined to believe the answer has been readily available all along. Though your eyes may insist otherwise, your ears know the truth; regal synthesizers echo starkly off the crumbling towers to your right; indiscernible chants are snatched away across the windswept plains at your back; the foreboding forest vibrates deeply as it bathes in the deep orange glow of a setting sun. Ever so slowly the mind traces a journey through covert crypts and forgotten ruins. Like bats that dwell in the deepest recesses of the darkest caves; if you allow sound to replace vision, you will realise just how blind you truly were. Født til å Herske is a timeless journey in every sense of the word. Exactly where one will travel within its layered depths is impossible to predict, but understanding the how is as straightforward as the album’s composition.

All it takes is a little creativity and a lot of imagination.

Disturbed EvolutionKorpiklaani Kulkija
Jonathan Davis Black LabyrinthMajesty of Silence Zu Dunkel Für Das Licht
Dream Troll The Witch's CurseLautreamont Silence of the Deceased

July 31st 2017

Depending on how this goes, I may do similarly succinct write-ups on a few other Mortiis albums at a later date. Feedback is much appreciated.

Digging: The Isolated Vale - The Story Has Begun

BlushfulHippocrene
July 31st 2017

Incredibly concise and engaging review, mate, would be great to see more stuff like this from you. (Or longer reviews, of course, I'll take whatever I get of this quality.) This isn't really my kind of stuff, but always keen on your writing.

In the first sentence, however, I don't think the semicolon works because the latter of the clauses isn't complete. The semicolon could be made a comma, or alternately the latter half could read something like "the quintessential dungeon classic was largely responsible..." Shut me down if I'm wrong, but an otherwise fantastic piece.

Digging: Novo Amor - Birthplace

verdant
July 31st 2017

yesss scuro lovely work i might even have a look at the record bc of it. wish me luck

July 31st 2017

Thanks a bunch Blush (: You're 100%, remedied it now I think.

Cheers Diving, hope you get something out of it, good luck!

BlushfulHippocrene
July 31st 2017

Yes, perfect! And this sounds cool, I might give it a full listen a bit later anyway.

July 31st 2017

the world needs more dungeon synth

mind pos

ianblxdsoe
July 31st 2017

dug the other dungeon synth album i've checked out lol, so definitely gonna give this a listen at some point, stellar review man

Let me know what you think Ian (:

DrGonzo1937
July 31st 2017

Short and sweet review dude. Still need to check this one out, really enjoyed his dungeon-synth days.

Thanks Gonzo, I'm sad that they're gone ):

July 31st 2017

It sucks but there's other dungeon synth to goblin out to m/

Very true

Conmaniac

SCURO!!!

dude this is such a good 1 para review. the album art would deter me from checking this but ur beautiful descripts make me wanna peep it...

AsleepInTheBack
July 31st 2017

I adore short and sweet reviews like this. Tells me everything I need to know. Big ol mind pos

clavier
July 31st 2017

Short and sweet, can't be beat

Digging: They Grieve - I Made My Sacrifice Accordingly

July 31st 2017

I needed an album to help me kill time as I unclogged a ditch in gloomy, overcast weather. This was absolutely perfect. Great review man.

July 31st 2017

Thanks guys (: @Con I love the art for this personally, but I hope you enjoy it anyway!

@Balls cheers man, nice dig too

butcherboy
July 31st 2017

I saw some wonky alphabet and knew it was a Scuro write-up.. great review, dude.. is this more doomy or more synthy? because if it's the latter, I'm giving this a shot..

Digging: Oxbow - The Narcotic Story

It's purely synth

July 31st 2017

Haha, thanks man! About as synthy as it gets.