Sasquatch
Maneuvers

by insomniac15 STAFF
June 22nd, 2017 | 25 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Another brilliant addition to their discography...

Sasquatch have been one of the most reliable bands in the underground hard rock/stoner scene, crafting one strong record after another. As soon as I heard their 5th studio effort would be released, I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed. After amiably parting ways with former drummer, Rick Ferrante, the guys entered the studio with Craig Riggs to record Maneuvers, another masterpiece that is undoubtedly their most concise statement yet. From the first second, they kick down the door with a trademark balls-out rocker, ‘Rational Woman’. It starts as a pile driving rocker, but soon turns into a groovy beast with the bass volume going through the roof. Front man Keith Gibbs is partially covered by this massive wall of fuzz, yet he angrily delivers the blues we can all relate to: your woman doesn’t love you anymore. This is hands down top 3 hardest hitting cuts these guys have penned so far and from here on end the album just offers us more of these excellent vibes.

‘More Than You’ll Ever Be’ brings forth some greasy, mid-tempo riffs that get even juicier when the chorus enters. The production is brilliant overall, pushing the dirt in front albeit clearly mastered. Also, there’s enough attention given to the details to keep you interested throughout. The vocals are nicely layered, especially during the hooks. Then, when the solos kick in and the spotlight is on them, the rhythm section always nicely surrounds to sustain that overall powerful level. Moving on, ‘Destroyer’ is another swinging beast where the band rolls at a steady pace, easily making even the simplest progressions cool again. This is what I always dug at Sasquatch. Whether playing three chords or complex structures, the sheer passion along with that sense of melody always found their way through the heaviest riffs to further enhance the listening experience. Moreover, you have the two centerpieces, ‘Just Couldn’t Stand the Weather’ & ‘Drown All the Evidence’ where they brought everything to the table. From the blues rock-on-steroids riffage, raucous vocals to soaring guitar solos complete with Hammond organ or piano touches, these songs are everything you’d love to hear from the band. The tracks sound so crunchy that it feels as if your speakers are about to crack.

Maneuvers’ only inconvenience would be its short length. Each record of theirs was briefer than its predecessor, still it might also be an upside, because it easily asks for multiple spins. The guys honed their approach to songwriting, crafting a string of essential songs which have both substance and groove. Thankfully, they remain to the forefront of the genre, fine-tuning their skills to constantly create tighter & memorable music. This is a must listen for any hardcore fan and casual listener.