Starbomb
Starbomb

1.0
awful

by Sean H. CONTRIBUTOR (102 Reviews)
May 20th, 2017 | 40 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: epic gamer win

Religion is a finicky topic to say the least. With hundreds of religions in the world, it is hard to make a strong case for the idea that there is a mythical being with benevolent omnipotence that loves all human beings, despite threatening humans with horrifying possibilities. No matter how devastating some tragedies may be, some people are quick to say that it is all apart God's plan. Not that any ill will is aimed upon reasonable people who are religious, it's just that the constant atrocities make many people doubt that there is a loving being who wants to protect us when innocent people are hurt, killed, and put into situations that involve suffering. Out of all of these cosmic injustices, one will be explained soon enough, but not without some context.

The perfect proof for the lack of a all-knowing being or their laissez faire attitude is the lovechild between Arin “Egoraptor” Hanson, popular Youtube “comedian” and animator, and Ninja Sex Party, mediocre joke band that really, really like their penises. This failed abortion of a concept was given the name Starbomb, and they started pumping out unfunny video game parodies that would be ideal for twelve year olds that think nothing is funnier than the word “dick” or “cunt.” And this power team of unfunny musicians decided to go beyond the call of trash by releasing a whole album of absolute trite under the named after their band.

The members of Starbomb's idea of comedy is very predictable and wince-inducing, as it revolves around the same ideals of most internet video game parodies, which includes shock humor, a revolting lack of subtly, an excess of sexual innuendos, and disgustingly repetitive jokes. Every song's love of the same boring “What if this kid's game was dark"” scenarios like on The Book of Nook, Kirby's Adventures in Reamland, I Choose You to Die, and pretty much every single song on this God-forsaken album. Unfortunately, everyone who decides to put themselves through this Hell will be experiencing the same jokes throughout the whole album, with the only song that gets points is Crasher-Vania, which is only passable for its lack of sex puns and lack of super try-hard imagery.

The super unfunny song lyrics and concepts that plague this record are portrayed by Arin Hanson and Danny “Sexbang” Avidan, who is the lead singer of Ninja Sex Party. Hanson's rap delivery is quite mediocre, as his flows are often unremarkable and his inflections try to come off as “badass,” despite Hanson not being able to back it up. Avidan, who will not be called by his stupid stage name, has a voice filled with potential, which sadly is not realized here. Both vocalists also enjoy putting on goofy voices that get grating when used for entire songs like Crasher-vania and Mega Marital Problems. Coupled with the corny and repetitive lines, these vocals are only good for making one of the most uncomfortable music experiences ever created by man.

As for the beats, made by “Ninja” Brian Wecht, they don't fair very well, even when isolated. Wecht's music consists of lifeless drum beats that are infested by overstated and bombastic synths that get extremely annoying when overused throughout the 27 minute run-time. These bits of music are also mixed with the occasional portions of different music styles, like love song piano chords and cliché, chugging metal. The stale and repetitive music matches quite well with the rest of this album, which means that all of the elements come together to create an explosive collection of absolute failure.

While it can be said that Starbomb is one of the easiest targets and its not meant to stand up to the highs set up by other pop and rap fusions, it is still absolutely atrocious on the standards set by comedy and parody artists who know how to fuse funny jokes and listenable music. Starbomb does not know how this works, however, as they did not accomplish either. This target may have been easy, but it does make a lack of belief in a God seem a lot more reasonable.

Chief Keef GloTovenMeat Puppets Dusty Notes
Butthole Surfers Independent Worm Saloon2 Chainz Rap Or Go To The League
Grandmaster Flash And The Furious Five The MessageButthole Surfers Pioughd
2.9
good
TheSmashBro (3.5)
For a quick summary: Imagine if Your Favorite Martian wasn't terrible....

ArtBox (2.5)
Thank you Mario, but our comedy is in another castle. Sick beats though....

May 20th 2017

(Please don't) Stream this album here:

Bad/10

Digging: Woody Guthrie - My Dusty Roads

ramon.
May 20th 2017

questioning my theology degree rn

i thought egoraptor and nsp died ages ago

May 20th 2017

Game Grumps is still going on and still being as unfunny as always.

SteakByrnes
May 20th 2017

The religion concept is kinda weird, but this review is very well written from what I read. I do disagree tho, but what can you do

Digging: Ghost Atlas - Sleep Therapy: An Acoustic Performance

May 20th 2017

NOW LET'S COMMENCE THE ROCK!!!!!!!!

May 20th 2017

The religion thing was meant to be a comic way to illustrate how much I dislike this album.

I appreciate that you liked what you read, despite me tearing this album to shreads

May 20th 2017

The intro to this album is EVERYTHING

ScuroFantasma

TheBarber

[2]

SwagCupcake
May 21st 2017

This review annoys me for a couple reasons.

1.) You can't hate on the group just because of their style, would you give a heavy metal band a 1 because you "think they're too loud" no you wouldn't

2.) The musical accompaniment by "Ninja" Brian Wecht is actually very good.

3.) You can not call Arin "Egorapter" Hanson's rapping "mediocre" just because you dont like what he's rapping about. This was a good review i just had some points I wanted to make.

Conmaniac
May 21st 2017

why is NSP still doing dumb shit like this

May 21st 2017

Thanks for the criticism, but:

1. I don't hate the style, as I never said that. Like I said, there are artists that make funny music that is good, like Weird Al, Beastie Boys, and Biz Markie.

2. That's subjective, don't you think?

3. I don't like Hanson's rapping because of the mentioned lackluster flow and his try hard delivery.

SandwichBubble

@WellDressedBalloon

I think @SwagCupcake joined solely because of this review. You should be flattered.

Digging: Samara Lubelski - In The Valley

I guess I am then.

May 21st 2017

1. I don't hate the style, as I never said that. Like I sad, there are artists that make funny music that is good, like Weird Al, Beastie Boys, and Biz Markie.

Actually to enjoy this album you need to get the jokes in this album, and to get the jokes you need to be a serious nerd.

But I hate nintendo so fuck all the references to all their games.

May 21st 2017

What's wrong with Nintendo?

Essence
May 21st 2017

idk it's dumb, but it's fun

honestly review/comments makes it seem like you just hate the people who made this and wanted that known

SteakByrnes
May 21st 2017

I've loved Arin since his Newgrounds days as an animator, and I really dug NSP in high school so I'm probably a bit biased it that regard, but I do think they do the comedy style quite well. I agree that Arin doesn't have the best rap flow tho, and it can get a bit cringey.

Dan has a spectacular voice tho, with a lot of control over it and he knows how to utilize his range (moreso on NSP stuff).