Tricot

by ashcrash9 USER (15 Reviews)
May 19th, 2017 | 58 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Third time's the charm.

Although they’ve only been around since 2010, Tricot have handily established themselves as a frontrunner of the Japanese math rock scene. With sharp, jazzy, staccato riffs, intricate drum work, and melodic pop vocals, the Kyoto trio has an immediately recognizable palette and a charisma no other artist in the scene has been able to imitate. Their third album in just five years, the accordingly-titled 3 shows the band as confident as ever, bringing their signature sound overseas for the first time to American and British audiences via Topshelf and Big Scary Monsters. And while the group’s approach to songwriting hasn’t fundamentally changed, this collection of songs is easily their most consistent and impressive to date, a perfect introduction for the uninitiated and a refinement of everything that makes Tricot so damn enjoyable.

Look no further than the full-throttle opener “Tokyo Vampire Hotel” for proof of their musical prowess; no Tricot record has burst out of the gates this strong, featuring rapid time signature shifts, Ikkyu Nakajima’s commanding vocal presence, and an absolutely killer bridge. The energy doesn’t let up for “Wabi-Sabi” or “Yosoiki” either, all three opening tracks delivering with style on the technicality, melody, and fun you’ll find on the rest of the disc. With harmonic “oohs" and "aahs” seeping through every corner, the band evokes their compatriots Mass of the Fermenting Dregs more than ever before without sacrificing their own unique, bouncier identity. Elsewhere, the chirpy “Namu” begins with a sugary sing-along chant before evolving into something much more grandiose and airy, recalling the likes of European post-rock-tinged acts like And So I Watch You From Afar and Totorro. From calm, breezy tracks like “Sukima” to more brooding cuts like “Pork Ginger,” the band covers wider sonic ground with greater nuance than they did on past releases, and for the first time, they’ve also mastered the art of album construction, each song logically placed around the others for maximum impact.

On their debut T H E, the band occasionally felt overwhelmed by their own writing, and their follow-up A N D trekked too far back in the opposite direction, stripping some of the songs of the energy they needed to keep the album’s momentum rolling. 3, on the other hand, is a calculated but emotive ride from start to finish. Every permanent member (as well as whoever they got to drum for these sessions, holy cow, props) knocks their performances out of the park, and with a delicate balance of intrepidness and tact, Tricot have never sounded more lively and engaging. The language barrier could be an issue for those who place a heavy emphasis on lyricism, but even if you think that might be an obstacle, Tricot will batter your eardrums with math rock bliss until you’re satisfied regardless. If you’ve never given a listen to one of the genre’s most promising acts, 3 is undoubtedly the place to start.

Brand New Science FictionO' God the White Whale Never Knows Best
Local Natives Sunlit YouthBruce Springsteen The Rising
TTNG Disappointment IslandNoir Desir des Visages des Figures

Conmaniac

19719 Comments

he's back!! :D

May 19th 2017

First review since the start of like, last school year basically. It's been a while. Hope ya dig this, guys.

Recommended track: "Tokyo Vampire Hotel"

pjorn
May 19th 2017

hmm, this sounds p cool. will check.

pos

Aberf
May 19th 2017

Ling Tosite Sigure on the similar bands????

Will definitely check

Digging: Secret Shine - There Is Only Now

GreyShadow
May 19th 2017

I listened to AND a little over a year ago and have had these guys on my radar ever since.

Listening to this now and I already love this

thanks for the feature!

Sinternet
May 19th 2017

fuck yeah these gals rule

nice review mate

conditionals
May 19th 2017

Cool, I've been wanting go get into tricot... seems this may be the entry point.

They've also signed to Topshelf Records, my favourite indie label, for this release. Another good sign.

NorwichScene

Got about 30 seconds through and had to turn it off

Momentai
May 19th 2017

by the way anyone who loves Tricot should check out Chouchou merged syrups. Similar math rock style but the vocals are less powerful but more emotive. Really good stuff. Need to check out new tricot as well. Sick sick band and really good live. Good review too! I feel similarly about AND.

Nomos
May 19th 2017

Dang, I got excited thinking that 3 had released a new album.

Ovrot

Good band

Digging: Verdun - The Eternal Drift's Canticles

ScuroFantasma
May 19th 2017

"Review Summary: Third time's the charm"

Well they didn't name themselves Unicot or Bicot now did they ;)?

Digging: Toska (IS) - Toska

May 19th 2017

thought better of it since the "tri" in "tricot" is pronounced "tree"

but believe me, that didn't pass me by

lol

nice contrib av btw, real fitting here

ScuroFantasma
May 19th 2017

"oh man Scuro you have no idea how tempted I was to make the summary "Third tri's the charm""

Haha, it's not too late to do it

And thanks dude (:

Crawl
May 20th 2017

These gals are incredible live. Their energy is unmatched.

Digging: Citizen - As You Please

Momentai
May 21st 2017

18,19 got me feeling a certain way. What a sick jam. Prob my current favorite on hear. Really solid flow on this album too.

Tyler.

Omg hype

decisions
May 21st 2017

Holy shit I used to listen to this band around the last album cycle, haven't been keeping up with them but the first song on this is fucking beautifullll

Tyler.