Ryuichi Sakamoto
Async

by Aaron W. STAFF
April 28th, 2017 | 193 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: No need for a date: I was, I am, and I will be.

Async is the soundtrack to many things. It is the soundtrack to a Tarkovsky film that doesn’t exist, as well a record that will be ruled by the narrative of recovery, mortality and identity. His first solo record since 2009’s Out of Noise, Async finds Ryuichi Sakamoto three years removed from a life-threatening throat cancer diagnosis (now in remission) and with an increasingly contemplative view on his own mortality in light of the passing of his contemporary David Bowie and the fear that Async could’ve been his final work. In his most vulnerable moments, Sakamoto sought solace in the little things, such as the mundanities of everyday life, the sounds of the city and of his own musical instruments – doing all of this as if he would die that very moment, and caught numerous vignettes throughout his latest album.

Following the ethos of his latter-day projects, Async captures Sakamoto both at his most simplistic and off the wall, contrasting greatly in moments that fit perfectly into Async’s blueprint – the solemn “Andata”, accompanied by long-time collaborator Christian Fennesz, builds upon a basic classical dirge before becoming immersed in ethereal digital effects and Fennesz’ trademark hazy guitar, which takes the lead from Sakamoto’s piano rather than merely accompanying it; pieces such as “Zure”, “Stakra”, “Fullmoon” and “Life, Life” all harken back, in a way, to earlier works that had roots in more electronic-based modern classical and the synthesized pieces that Sakamoto once created. These songs, however, extend beyond this influence and diverge into various routes. Whereas “Zure” implemented minimalistic repetition and a stark soundscape, “Life, Life” features David Sylvian reciting poet Arseny Tarkovsky amidst a subtly lush instrumental accompaniment that drives home the idea of Async being an album that captures its creator being very aware of life’s finiteness in the verse:

“On each wave is a star, a person, a bird, Dreams, reality, death – on wave after wave”

And with pieces such as “Solari”, “Ubi” and “Garden”, Async becomes further sobering than any other effort Sakamoto has put forth in his illustrious career so far. Async doesn’t pussyfoot around the severity of what its creator experienced, nor does it try to act as if nothing had happened in the first place. At the risk of forcing a narrative of a recovering artist upon Sakamoto, Async paints an aural portrait of Sakamoto facing the transience of life and what is left of his own lifetime no matter how long it may or may not be. It pictures a man grasping onto whatever is left of his life and cherishing it, no matter how fragile it may now be, and for that, Async allows the listener to think about their own life – about their own eventual passing onto whatever comes next; about the faint hold we all have on our destiny, a concept so far out of our control, and of how we lead our lives from day to day. Despite some minor flaws intruding in between moments of slightly distorted bliss and intentionally mundane segments of obscured experimentalism, Async is the soundtrack to a life that isn’t without its struggles, but isn’t without the determination to make each second count.

Pram Dark IslandBeach House 7
Preoccupations New MaterialAlva Noto Unieqav
David Byrne American UtopiaSuuns Felt

April 28th 2017

I'd like to take this moment to say the oft-repeated sentiment: "fuck cancer".

Async is streaming here: http://exclaim.ca/music/article/ryuichi_sakamoto-async_album_stream

Digging: Derek Bailey - Aida

April 28th 2017

congrats sachiel (on the hundredth account most likely)

edit: and yet another sach alt deleted

Conmaniac

you're ballin

April 28th 2017

hunnid blurbs, mounds of hyperbole

Hurricanslash
April 28th 2017

Huh, I just bought his album Beauty a few weeks ago and now he has something new out. Probably might check this. Sounds nice.

butcherboy

This is great.. Would pos if I could

Sinternet
April 28th 2017

great review gotta check this out

DoofusWainwright

20000 Comments

I'm on it once I've stopped hating the new Mew album

granitenotebook
April 28th 2017

good review, got me listening. enjoying this so far, a lot more experimental than I expected

TwigTW
April 28th 2017

I didn't realize he'd been so sick. Glad to hear he's in remission . . . He's one of the few artists whose work gets more interesting as he gets older, and this is no exception. Very nice write-up, Fripp.

Digging: Israel Nash - Israel Nash's Silver Seasons

zaruyache

19218 Comments

I think he was supposed to be on my todo list before. Either way, this is on the shortlist.

Digging: Pale - EP

butcherboy
April 28th 2017

it's also your 100th review, so mazel tov!

Calc
April 28th 2017

I liked this, wish it hadn't leaked a million years ago though so I could be not bored with it already =(

anatelier
April 28th 2017

looking forward to getting on this one, good review matey potatey

April 28th 2017

kinda didn't leak since it came out officially in Japan in March, but it really grew on me after initially being pretty decent

Pho3nix
April 28th 2017

Thanks for the review! really loved his work on The Revenant soundtrack, will def check this out.

Winesburgohio

dude niiiiice

Digging: Jandek - The Myth of Blue Icicles

Pho3nix
April 29th 2017

"honj" is definitely the highlight here

TVC15
April 29th 2017

Ooh

Digging: Dance With the Dead - B-Sides: Vol. 1

Zeta
April 30th 2017

completed the bar graph hehe. a middle finger to cancer!