The Smith Street Band
No One Gets Lost Anymore

by Preston USER (14 Reviews)
April 5th, 2017 | 34 replies

Review Summary: Part 1: I'm getting there

In Fall 2015, I transferred colleges.

I moved from my quiet suburban village to a nice big noisy city filled with… people. People I didn’t know. Regardless of the issues I had with anxiety in the past, I was really looking forward to this change. No longer did I have to drive 25+ minutes in any direction to do something fun. My mind ran wild and I thought everything could be new and exciting.

The first day I moved in, I took a walk on a trail next to where I was living at the time. It was a gorgeous day, and I was listening to one of the best albums you can listen to on a gorgeous day: No One Gets Lost Anymore by The Smith Street Band. I remember starting this walk, listening to those first chords of “I Ain’t Safe”, thinking about how I’ve never felt this optimistic about a change in my life. Most of the anxiety I’ve experienced, much like Wil Wagner, has come from being faced with unfamiliar situations. Helplessly possessing constant thoughts of “Am I handling this right" What do other people do" Is what I’m doing working"” No. None of that plagued my mind.

It wasn’t 20 seconds into “Postcodes” when a group of 4 males jumped from the bushes, punched me in the face, pinned me to the trail, and jabbed their disgusting hands into my pockets to retrieve my wallet, my phone, and, most tragically… my now-short-lived optimism. I was scared again. I felt anxious going outside at all. I couldn’t even look out the window, because it had a perfect view of that trail.

“Everyone needs a little shock sometimes.”

It might be weird to listen to the album that you were listening to during a traumatic experience for a week straight after, but that’s exactly what I did. I stayed inside and I listened to No One Gets Lost Anymore. I was faced with an unfamiliar situation, and Wil knew all too well how it felt. For that week of my life, this was the best album. I listened to Wil croon and shout over clean guitars about his inability to feel welcome in this world, his inability to belong. You can hear the frustration in his voice at times of how he just does not understand why the things in his life are the way they are… why he’s wired the way he is.

Wil wants you to understand what goes on in his mind, and he makes it as easy as he possibly can through his music. Many of the songs on this album consist of stream-of-consciousness thoughts that are only interrupted by the occasional rose-colored anecdote detailing the innocence of his childhood, or a story of how hooking up with a stranger, within the context of the current state of his life, is a grand feat. I listened to "When I Was A Boy I Thought I Was A Fish" the most during that time in my life, since it reminded me of my own wide-eyed self, both my adolescent self as well as myself from the day before I moved to the city.

Like many of us, he may have issues expressing his feelings to those around him, but maybe, just maybe, if he puts it in song form with a catchy chorus, people will understand. Wil sings about what he knows, but what makes him special as a songwriter is that he also writes about what he knows he will never understand about life.

I didn’t feel safe in Fall 2015, but neither did Wil Wagner in 2011.

So it’s okay.

Motion City Soundtrack Even If It Kills MeGlocca Morra Just Married
The Front Bottoms Going GreyWeezer Pacific Daydream
LCD Soundsystem American DreamKool A.D. WORD O.K.
4.2
Atari STAFF (4.7)
An authentic trek through life's bumpy terrain...

FreddieDelaney31 (5)
I'm just really far away...

profoundword (4.5)
A unique mix of punk and folk that will have you shouting along in no time....

Transient (4.5)
I whisper in your ear "don't you ever disappear" and you whisper back "don't you ever fucking touch ...

April 4th 2017

This just kind of came out of me. Probably needs editing.

dimsim3478
April 4th 2017

the writing that just comes out is always the best stuff

Digging: The Cro-Magnons - ?????????

deathschool
April 4th 2017

This is actually a great story man. I hope you've been able to adjust since then. Pos

April 4th 2017

thanks dim! and yeah death I have adjusted since then and I'm still in the city. There's actually a decent amount of interesting stuff I left out (like the bush they punched me into before pinning me down was poison oak, which didn't show up on my body until 1 week after contact) I just didn't wanna make it seem like a total diary entry lol. Tried to keep it connected to the album

butcherboy
April 4th 2017

Very very cool review.. loved reading this.. massive pos

Digging: Hair & Skin Trading Company - Over Valence

JigglyPDiddy

I find this to be nice.

BlushfulHippocrene
April 5th 2017

Really great review, mate. Loved reading it.

Digging: Lil Zubin - Heavy Down Pour

AsleepInTheBack
April 5th 2017

^ [2]. Perfectly sums up a lot of what the album is about and ties it in with your personal experiences, good stuff

schoonda
April 5th 2017

this is fantastic man and really sums up why they resonate with so many. rating is right also

Digging: colourblind - Move Like You

April 5th 2017

Thanks to all, means a lot. Hope this got some people pumped for the new album!

hell yeah

Digging: Lil Peep - Come Over When You're Sober Pt. 2

nigelgrab
April 6th 2017

I logged back onto my inactive account just to tell you how good this review is. reflective, well written, and it seems like writing this review must have been highly therapeutic. also probably one of the best bands to ever come from my home town Melbourne. well written

kascetcadettt
April 6th 2017

and i woke up feeling like sigourney weaver yeah

something inside of me is tryin to get out

Piglet
April 6th 2017

i don't know how but this record perfectly describes and encapsulates all those weekends as an adolescent getting drunk and high with that one group of friends, those ash trays full of cigarettes bought from the one place that didn't check for ID, all those backyard parties, those times with that one girl in the group, cold winter nights in that jacket, hot summer days in those thongs, catching the last trains and buses, feeling rejected and insecure and otherwise anxious. Very nostalgic. (they're still melbourne fags tho carn the crows)

April 6th 2017

that's cool you got that connection to it man, you hear the new record yet?

YoYoMancuso

great review man

Much appreciated my man

Conmaniac
July 17th 2017

just stumbled upon this review and I wanted to comment to say how great it is!