Band-Maid
YOLO

by DatsNotDaMetulz USER (52 Reviews)
March 29th, 2017 | 8 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: BAND-MAID set the scene for their breakout album.

J-Rock quintet BAND-MAID have made waves in Europe throughout 2016 with their first shows on the continent, starting with an appearance at May’s London Comic-Con, and a well received JPU Records debut with mini-album Brand New MAID. Their relentless schedule means that their first full length comes just over 6 months since the mini-album’s release.

The lead track from the single is probably among the best songs that BAND-MAID have ever done. The riffs are catchy, the hooks are addictive and Kanami Tōno’s solo is insane. Everything is well placed in the mix, with the inventive bass playing of Misa given plenty of room to breathe against the guitar playing of Tōno and Miku Kobato. With proper support this song should be getting major circulation on rock radio and TV.

The first of the B-Sides, “Unfair game”, wouldn’t be out of place on any of BAND-MAID’s previous efforts, with a neat hard rock groove driving the song home and carried by Saiki Atsumi’s strong vocal performance. While not the most original song, its awesome solo means it’s more than worthy of repeat spins.

The final track is just an instrumental, so isn’t really worth mentioning, but the other B-Side, “matchless GUM”, really shouldn’t be a B-Side. One of BAND-MAID’s slower songs, it has much simpler instrumentation compared to their other songs and adds a bit of variety to their sound. The vocal patterns complement the music really well and build into another fantastic chorus. How this only earned B-Side status is beyond me but it shows the quality of what made it onto the final album.

Edited for Sputnikmusic, original review can be found here: http://youngandbrokeandpissed.tumblr.com/post/155818347552/band-maid-yolo-single-review

Mellevon CovetMachine Head Catharsis
Samael HegemonyDigital Nova Orphelins
BRATS (JP) Ainikoiyo / Nounai Shoukyo GamePowerflo Powerflo

DatsNotDaMetulz
March 29th 2017

After getting the OK from mods, I've decided to repost some of my Tumblr reviews on here just while I'm starting out. If (and that's a big if) the blog starts to take off in its own right I'll probably stop reposting to Sput but in the early days it'll probably help me out a bit.

FadedSun
March 29th 2017

I haven't heard a single song from this band that was better than "Thrill".

zaruyache

19881 Comments

someone in 2016 actually thought "YOLO" was a good album title? Is their 2019 album gonna be Harambe?

Digging: Grotesque - The Black Gate is Closed

CompostCompote
March 29th 2017

This band's use of puns angers my good taste.

Lord(e)Po)))ts
March 30th 2017

oh good lord this looks bad

ShadowNeko
February 28th 2018

It certainly doesn't sound bad. "Critics" these days lmao!

ShadowNeko
February 28th 2018

Zaru, you are the most extremely judgemental douche I've came across on here. You actually think album art defies a band's talent... Really dude? *facepalm*

FadedSun
February 28th 2018

While it doesn't, it serves as a marketing tool and if people see super shitty album art, they don't exactly run to pick up the album unless they're already a fan.