Del Paxton

by Atari STAFF
March 26th, 2017 | 9 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A band worth rooting for

There are many reasons to root for Del Paxton on their solid, albeit conventional debut album. Not only is their conclusion that the world would be a better place without a constant onslaught of commercials and media spot-on (see “Primetime”), but “Koolwink” is one of my most-played songs of the year for good reason. I don’t know what it is; the main guitar riff is pretty simple, but dammit, it just grooves. The same could be said for “In the Well”, which takes advantage of its huge guitar hooks to add that extra punch to one of the album’s most lyrically aggressive cuts. Although the vocalist doesn’t possess the most original sound, he certainly gets the job done with a familiar sense of passion that draws influence from multiple bands in the emo/indie-rock camp. For this reason, Del Paxton are instantly likeable and easy on the ears.

All Day, Every Day, All Night is quite enjoyable and energizing when you’re listening to it, but it’s also easy to forget about when the next anticipated release drops. The album’s accessibility is also its Achilles’ heel: it’s immediately tolerable, but some of the tracks sound too alike, and do little to stand out from the pack. “Coast to Coast AM” is a nice change of pace with its twinkly guitars and subdued vocals, but doesn’t really provide anything substantial we haven’t already heard by American Football and all their counterparts. Despite a few minor pitfalls, Del Paxton’s debut LP is nonetheless a competent and often slickly produced listening experience. They’re not reinventing the wheel by any stretch of the imagination, but they’re sure as hell off to a good start. Mark these guys down as a band to keep your eyes on. Their debut full-length is a fun and harmless, little album – nothing more, and nothing less.

Taake Kong VinterCircuit Des Yeux Reaching For Indigo
Nadia Reid PreservationPhoebe Bridgers Stranger in the Alps
Sannhet So NumbThe Lurking Fear Out Of The Voiceless Grave
good

March 26th 2017

next review will definitely be longer. I'll look for an embedded track later but this is a pretty cool band and a solid/fun debut despite not being that original. "Koolwink" rules hard

Digging: Langhorne Slim - Lost At Last, Vol 1

Conmaniac
March 26th 2017

19715 Comments

ay you reviewed it nice

March 27th 2017

so exciting lol, stop the presses!

ianblxdsoe
March 27th 2017

i got their 7" with Gulfer i got a few months back and i dug it the few times i spun it, don't remember which side was whose but i'll check this

March 28th 2017

hope you dig, I need to check Gulfer

TheSpirit

21998 Comments

I neeeeeed this. I really like their EP. I dig the vocals so much, can't wait to see what they come up with here

Spluger
March 29th 2017

Sweet review dude. Worst Summer Ever is so good, interested to see how they pull off a full LP.

March 29th 2017

Cheers guys, hope u dig it. Yeah worst summer ever is pretty cool just jammed it again yesterday. I like them both about the same

Dewinged
March 31st 2017

Short but nice review Atari. Just checked this, didn't like it much tbh, was about to 2.5 it because they sound like thousands other bands but well, the songs are there.

Digging: Motorpsycho - The Tower