Can't Swim
Fail You Again

by 2X17 USER (6 Reviews)
March 10th, 2017 | 35 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Rest assured, Can’t Swim won’t be failing anyone with their full length debut

The most noteworthy quality of Can’t Swim when stacked against other artists in the pop punk scene is how dark their sound and lyric sheet are. On their debut outing, the Death Deserves A Name EP, they constructed a dismal narrative following the aftermath of the mental breakdown and disappearance of the nameless protagonist’s significant other in an apartment. Topped off with a relatively uncommon emphasis on heavier, low-tuned bass lines, guitar work obscured by fuzz, and a metallic film over rough vocals. It was easily a far cry from the wide range of whiny voiced twenty-somethings bleeding out over middle school level vulnerabilities and real legit girl problems, yo. While far from excellence, being bogged down by a relatively weak songwriting hand and a few technical issues, it was an admirable effort from an act with more potential than the countless number of contemporaries taking refuge on the back pages of Bandcamp’s ‘best sellers’ tab.

The New Jersey quartet’s full length debut on the rapidly growing Pure Noise Records fine-tunes many of the hiccups that crippled their debut and slightly expands on them for a well rounded and focused full-length effort. Fail You Again, to the comfort of some, does quite a bit to separate itself from the confines of the genre’s inherent pop sensibilities. While they aren’t far removed, as the ‘in your face’ guitar work emphasizes a slick and catchy riff per track, they aren’t as forcibly pronounced or overdone. Can’t Swim put faith in a warm, melodic-heavy atmosphere created by their thick instrumental backing to contrast the off putting lyrical prowess regarding isolation and it pays off well. If anything, Can’t Swim feel right at home with the best of the 90s than they do alongside the modern day visage of the genre. While it isn’t free from issues, ss there are notable instances where the band’s hooks fall flat from their refusal to overindulge in their guitar work. Can’t Swim hit it out of the park with their debut record, offering a well pieced collection of emotionally heavy and engagingly warm songs while avoiding the obvious pitfalls done by so many others around them.

Gorillaz HumanzThe Chainsmokers Memories...Do Not Open
Bebe Rexha All Your FaultWhy? Moh Lhean
Infected Mushroom Return to the Sauce

2X17

Spin: Hey Amy, Molly’s Desk, We Won’t Sleep

Stream: http://purenoise.bandcamp.com/album/fail-you-again

Not a lot to say about this album that wouldn't be "its solid" over and over again, so have a short review.

talktothehead
March 10th 2017

" While it isn’t free from issues. As there are notable instances where the band’s hooks fall flat from their refusal to overindulge in their guitar work, Can’t Swim hit it out of the park with their debut record."

I think that the period was supposed to be a coma after issues?

Either way, great review. pos

Divaman
March 10th 2017

Glad to see this one reviewed.

Digging: Best Ex - Ice Cream Antisocial

will check this out

Digging: Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights

McTime50
March 10th 2017

Been loving this since it went up for streaming a week ago

Digging: Hail the Sun - Secret Wars

19643 Comments

ooh im pumped for this album. good stuff

StickFeit
March 10th 2017

I like this. I like the very much.

March 10th 2017

This is better than the EP

19643 Comments

EP was super solid tho damn

2X17
March 10th 2017

I liked the EP but I felt like it had some massive issues beyond the first and final track, this album as a whole is a lot more solid if not as thematically engaging.

McTime50
March 10th 2017

What's Your Big Idea? and Stranger are straight jams.

Nap

Sounds like a pop-punk None More Black

We Won't Sleep is such a jam

Digging: Brand New - Science Fiction

StickFeit
March 11th 2017

"Stranger is such a jam" I know right

SnakeDelilah

19925 Comments

oooooh now i'm excited tbh

Digging: Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights

Soupy
March 11th 2017

Decent review, but I don't think this band has anything to do with pop-punk tbh.

19643 Comments

more emo imo but idk this is pretty pop punk as well

yeah

19643 Comments

but yeah about to listen to this on a train ride home. will let ya know what I think

CuddlyCaucasian
March 11th 2017

I like about half of this