Shokran
Exodus

by pizzamachine USER (213 Reviews)
March 8th, 2017 | 27 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not Egyptcore, but still great stuff.

Shokran's middle eastern gimmick is pretty fun, but it doesn't translate to a unique sonic experience. It's an attempt to stand out from the deathcore crowd, which the band already does without gimmicks. That being said, Shokran's album is still a very fun listen. The vocalist is shockingly good, able to switch between singing and growls seamlessly. It is an impressive feat considering how difficult it actually is to accomplish. Both his singing and screaming are quite good. Listening to his performance is similar to enjoying a movie based on an actor's acting. Shokran's album stands on solid ground from this fact alone.

But wait, there's more! There's also the guitars with those insane riffs being played the entire time like the guitarist wants to lose his fingers. His stupidly huge earrings must be enchanted with some mystic powers 'cause he's got eerily mad skills. The drums are also good. Actually the instrumentation in the whole album is outstanding. These guys know how to make good music.

If one had to nitpick, one might mention the samey vibe of the album. There are no real standout moments. Creatures From The Mud is the only song that's catchy enough to get stuck in the head. There's an attempt at a chorus every once in a while, but the album is generally is not sing/scream-along friendly. There are also no standout breakdowns. You get a heaping bowl of the same stuff over and over again - great if you like it, not so great otherwise.

This is not the Egyptcore you were hoping for, but it's still plenty fun. The melodies are great, and the album has great pacing, including a never-ending onslaught of riffs. It's very well produced, polished, and played. There isn't tons of variety, but the music sounds so good it doesn't really matter. It's something you'll want to play again and again. There'll be a new riff you didn't catch for every time you listen. Enjoy it!

Sevendust Kill the FlawJeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Soundtrack
Ra Critical MassGemini Syndrome Lux
Sirenia Perils of the Deep BlueRainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2

Supreme Truth (Instrument
recommended by reviewer
The Human Abstract Digital Veil

March 8th 2017

Just an album that needed a review. 😊

March 8th 2017

Hell yea this needed a review, as does their debut. I still think the debut is better, but this album slays as well

March 8th 2017

Yeah that one's pretty sweet.

kingdedethefifth
March 8th 2017

Is this a deathcore Nile?

March 8th 2017

Not really... sort of, idc lol

kingdedethefifth
March 8th 2017

Hey man i'm happy with a deathcore Nile lol

Evokaphile
March 8th 2017

Cant be any worse than within the ruins' new album

Digging: Less Art - Strangled Light

Shokran rules so yea

FadedSun
March 8th 2017

I think it's funny that the name of their band means "thank you" in arabic. It only sounds cool if you don't know what it means.

Whoah, that's crazy sauce!😮

Evokaphile

shokran for that info

March 8th 2017

That legit made me laugh, thanks for that

Maco097

Mediocre.

Most likely

March 8th 2017

Marsbro you make me cry how could you

March 8th 2017

Too many generic chugs without something to help hold it together

At best it's a 3 for me my man, sowwie

All good brochacho

Check the debut, it's at least less chuggy haha

March 8th 2017

I've heard singles from my plug days and wasn't impressed, might check the instrumental tbh

March 8th 2017

I feel like I'm the only dude who digs the vocals of the first album lmao. Instrumental got better reception so that'd probably be best for you my guy

March 8th 2017

I just can't handle the straightforward chugs anymore my dude, unless they're tied together with something or used in an interesting manner.