Scuba Death
The Worm at the Core

by Arche USER (86 Reviews)
February 18th, 2017 | 15 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The excitement of a thunderstorm, distilled in minimal techno.

It’s astonishing how tensely The Worm at the Core initially presents itself. Dense, rumbling ambience builds up to a short yet razor-sharp crescendo all within the first 70 seconds, creating an almighty wall of sound that pricks the nape hairs and draws the air out the lungs. Afterwards, naturally (and perhaps thankfully), comes the release: piercing strings give way to the sounds of rain and thunder, and with it, the endorphin rush of breathing once more. The sense of anticipation that thunderstorms bring is expertly woven into the fabric of ambient techno that Scuba Death (Ricardo Donoso) associates himself; however, largely speaking the execution is more covert than ‘Paradox of Finitude’ might allude to.

Scuba Death could quite easily have opted for the oft-travelled approach of bookending each track with stormy field recordings to develop the theme, but after the introduction, soundbites are used very sparingly. ‘Cracks in the Shield’ deviates from the introductory focus on ambience to concentrate on a minimalistic techno sound – one which is, however, loaded with imagery. Four-to-the-floor bass thumps ground the piece, while ice-cold droplets dance with crashing waves, ominous cello hits, granular swells and other assorted paraphernalia that, through the magic of thematic association, either freshen up or statically charge the track at any given point. Similar approaches are taken on ‘A Panic Rumbling Beneath’ and closer ‘The Scheme of Things,’ although where the former’s slower pace allows Donoso to develop crescendos, the latter makes use of a faster bass pattern to imbue a sense of urgency, something largely absent from the rest of the album. A lack of urgency works in much of the album’s favour, however: ‘Mortality Salience’ brings in more of the crushing ambience that made The Worm at the Core’s beginnings so arresting, shrouding the plodding, slightly psychedelic drumming that underpins the track with an imposing, creeping sense of gloom (one which continues into ‘Senescence’). The Worm at the Core is a wonderfully absorbing record despite its relative brevity, its occasionally ugly approach to one of nature’s most striking phenomena an intoxicating one.

Asthma Castle Mount CrushmoreSnail's House Snö
The Body O God who avenges, shine forth. Rise up, Judge ofJohn Prine John Prine
Morrissey Low In High SchoolIDYLLS The Barn

February 17th 2017

This might even be knocking on a 4.5, I dunno. Love it, and hope you guys do too. - http://furtherrecords.org/album/the-worm-at-the-core
Had a lot of fun writing this one, any comments as always welcomed ^ ^

ScuroFantasma
February 18th 2017

Great review, got my interest (:

Digging: Tyr - Hel

ScuroFantasma
February 18th 2017

Hate to say it but this really bored me, just not my kind of stuff, maybe as background music but to actively listen I can't vibe with it :/

February 18th 2017

Eyyy, at least you gave it a bash :] Tbh I've been on a bit of a minimal techno kick as of late so I've got no issue popping this on and listening for ~30 minutes or however long, but particularly given the ambient influences I'd agree this might be a 'wash over you' kinda album.

literallyzach
March 6th 2017

"Cracks in the Shield" is great but everything else here kind of falls flat for me

L4titudes

May 28th 2017

this is great stuff

hesperus
May 31st 2017

this is some tasty dark ambient

robin
July 26th 2017

keep forgetting how goooood this is

July 26th 2017

Yeah man, was listening to this yesterday and thinking the same

Cool new pic arche.

Also yeah album rules

luci
August 10th 2017

i like this. three point five