Review Summary: the warmth of the air on a summer day

The familiar sound of a cocktail shaker full of ice and the sound of distant seagulls give way to a simple, catchy melody and a lazy, carefree rythm. The first 15 seconds of Pacific, recorded in 1978 by Haruomi “Harry” Hosono (of Yellow Magic Orchestra) with collaboration of Shigeru Susuki and Tatsuro Yamashita tell you everything you need to know about what’s to come in the next 38 minutes.

Saigo no Rauken (Hosono), the opening track, starts off with a wide open smile, a big drink on one hand and ready to spend a long day slacking off at the beach. Later on the day come the more nocturnal yet still innocent textures of Coral Reef (Susuki), that remind me of a night at the docks of a small sea town. Back at the beach, but with a much more nostalgic tone comes Nostalgia of Island Pt 1: Bird Wind (Yamashita). As an old day dies and a new one is born, with the rising sun starts Pt 2: Walking on the Beach, with a new found energy and a new found hangover. That’s easily fixed, though: Just a Little sun, a cool sea breeze and the uplifting happy-go-lucky charm of this track, the crowning achievement of the album, if you ask me.

After an acoustic detour to reconnect with nature and contemplate the local flora’s beauty with Slack Key Rumba (Hosono), we’re ready to submerge back into the night, this time with the company of the triumphant and sensual tropical/disco sounds of Passion Flower (Susuki), foreshadowing a night of (or at least a night in persue of) summer love. Next, and following this structure of lazy beach day > night out > nostalgic after-party, comes Noanoa (Susuki again), a Little bit more generic, but still pleasing. Kiska (Yamashita), is another composition that lacks the emotional immediacy of the other tracks, but indulges on small instrumental technicalities that make it stand out. Album closes off with Cosmic Surfing (Hosono) the track most different from the others texture-wise, with its electronic-only instrumentation, fat synths and driving beat that feel like a speedboat cruising through the waves.

As strongly focused as it is, it’s hard to find thematic issues on this album. Instrumental-only, each track has a different composer who brings his own distinct flavor to the mix, without deviating much from the record’s set thematic and tone. Every track fits solidly on the whole of the narrative but can stand as solidly on its own without context, which further proves the genius of the three main composers at creating emotionally immediate melodies and textures, efficient at the time of constructing an idyllic summer atmosphere that, freed from the obligation of telling a ‘story’, can focus 100% on painting an extremely detailed scene with the limited resources at their dispposal.

A work of rare conceptual clarity, master management of composition and instrumentation that doesn’t need to prove anything, fully confident in its own capability.

Simply one of the chillest albums you’ll listen to in your life.

Various Artists (Pop) Muggy vol. 1Death Grips Year of the Snitch
Time Machines Time MachinesMount Eerie Now Only
Battle Trance Palace of WindDeath Grips Steroids (Crouching Tiger Hidden Gabber Megamix)

February 6th 2017

Why is Yamashita's name censored lol

First review so obviously all constructive criticism is wellcome.

Digging: Pussy Galore - Exile on Main Street

FullOfSounds
February 6th 2017

"Instrumental-only, each track has a different composer who brings his own distinct flavor to the mix, without deviating much from the record’s set thematic and tone."

I feel like this line's point could be re-worded and put later into the review. Like in the conclusion.

"After an acoustic detour to reconnect with nature and contemplate the local flora’s beauty with Slack Key Rumba (Hosono), we’re ready to submerge back into the night, this time with the company of the triumphant and sensual tropical/disco sounds of Passion Flower (Susuki), foreshadowing a night of (or at least a night in persue of) summer love."

Big run-on sentence.

"Next, and following this structure of lazy beach day > night out > nostalgic after-party, comes Noanoa (Susuki again), a Little bit more generic, but still pleasing. Kiska (Yama***a), is another composition that lacks the emotional immediacy of the other tracks, but indulges on small instrumental technicalities that make it stand out"

Another one, there might be more that I've missed. Make sure you break stuff up so they don't sound exhausting.

I really like the way you describes the album's journey.

Closing sentence brings it all together nicely.

That's it from me. insta pos cuz it's rabidfish

Digging: Townes Van Zandt - Delta Momma Blues

February 6th 2017

also use i (minus the spacing) to bypass the censor on Yamashita

don't even know why this site filters that stuff out in the first place

February 6th 2017

Oh, so nice of u guys, really... Much appreciated indeed ;)

FullOfSounds

No problem my dude

February 6th 2017

or you could use random ass text that works too

February 6th 2017

lol couldn't figure out how to use italics on this bitch...

Guess it works just fine, anyways.

February 6th 2017

If it's censored, you can go back and edit out the astrik with the letter(s) that were taken out. Worked for my last review

Digging: Pixies - Surfer Rosa

February 6th 2017

nah, already tried that... Maybe I'll try some mod later, dunno.

Jom
February 6th 2017

>> it'd be cool if the meds would actually implement my edits instead of leaving whatever inaccurate info on the page

Please slow thine roll - it's not like you were ignored for an egregious amount of time, eh?

shhhhh

February 6th 2017

I liked --& friends better, but if this is the official name, then so be it.

It's a good review Rabid

ScuroFantasma
February 7th 2017

Solid review for a first, this seems interesting

Digging: Four Fists - 6666

February 7th 2017

yea well, it IS a great fucking album... It wasn't so hard to find good things to say about it.

shhhhhhh

let him learn

February 7th 2017

keep making swaggin avs and i'll let u live

February 7th 2017

"fun fact you can just edit the "shit"s back in and it won't censor them the second time around"

I already said that