Migos
Culture

by Peter Meister USER (94 Reviews)
January 28th, 2017 | 46 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A slice of good ol' Atlanta.

When it comes to the world of rap, the exoticness in sound and in style is a mere representation of a region or city in the world. Whether it's the griminess of New York, or the warm, neon atmosphere from Los Angeles; each region is showcased in the rap spectrum by their distinctive style and the unique culture that it brings along with it. It creates their own sub-genre within rap, being branded as West Coast rap, East Coast rap, and the list going on. One region that has been difficult to decipher for some time in rap has been the grit and antiquity of the South, a place having reshuffled its sound many times in decades past. With the likes of Master P and Lil' Wayne having lead the charge in the reforms of Southern rap, three major rap acts have emerged from their predecessors to claim their stakes on the throne and jettison the new sound of their region: Houston's Travis Scott, and Atlanta's own Gucci Mane and Migos. While Gucci has been reigning for the longest of the three, Travis and the Atlanta trio consisting of Quavo, Takeoff, and Offset have the backing of Kanye West and helped catapult the emergence of the dominant force of the South: trap-rap. With Migos emerging with their debut major-label album "CULTURE", it's a wrap travel to the new and seemingly permanent epicenter of Southern rap in Atlanta and the futuristic, awfully mainstream sound that is beaming across the region and beyond. It's a welcome with open arms to what the future of rap brings.

One thing is true within rap today, and that is the concept of "turning back the clock" being used more than ever. That nostalgia is prevalent in the rap culture throughout California and stretching to the East Coast as well, focusing on the reminiscing of the golden age of rap. While awfully enjoyable in its own right, those in the South are looking to move forward. The prominence of trap-rap delivers that, and it shows eloquently in "CULTURE". It lights up brightly in the darkish, economical "What The Price", an example of rap's ascent to the future sonically. It's installed with a fearful guitar that feels as if you're driving right on I-75 and entering the cold confines of Atlanta; and as you drive deeper in, you're welcomed to the future by the catchy piano-driven hook and booming bass, echoing heavy Travis Scott vibes with the trios' chemistry and ad-libs blending in together with the colorful composition. Enhanced by fiery verses by Quavo and his comrades with lines like "I done brought out a big bag today/I just pulled out a MAC today", this is as spectacular of a trap anthem as you're going to get. Celebratory toasts such as the powdery, flute-driven "Get Right Witcha" possess the intensity and menace that is felt across in the South, and it's done so in formidable fashion.

Four things are always consistent in the culture of rap; and that is money, flamboyant parties, women in a extremely suggestive fashion, and drugs. The thing pitting the regions of American rap culture apart is their taste for drugs. With the West Coast smoking marijuana and the East Coast cooking heroin, the South is the beaming capital in crack cocaine and its presence shadows itself around "CULTURE". It's steamed around in the nightly trap banger "Bad And Boujee", an ode to the mesmerizing drug and to women with "caviar taste". Famous for the viral hook consisting of "Rain drop, drop top", the infectious hook sparking memes galore is only a sliver of what this gauging trap anthem offers. Instilled with a boil-some piano, devilish synth lines, and sizzling bass that adds more fire to the stove, you feel you're immersed into the richly lifestyle of a drug dealer in Atlanta enjoying his wealth, cocaine, and women alongside it. While Philadelphia rapper Lil' Uzi Vert's presence simmers the heat down quite a bit in his typical "mumble-rap" form, Quavo and his two amigos deliver impressive verses, diluting the out-of-place rapper's guest feature. Fortunately it's the only blip on the album, as fellow Atlanta royalty like Gucci Mane and 2 Chainz in the stealthy "Slippery" and the haunting "Deadz" respectively amp up the localized ambience of their fellow teammates. This screams Southern rap in it's present form today, and delivers to the task.

When DJ Khaled proclaims in the dim-lit title opener, "They rep the culture from the streets", that's exactly the point that this album is trying to send to the masses. The ultimate narrative that "CULTURE" is aiming for is to give you a taste of the feeling and ambience of the rap culture of not just Atlanta and the streets, but the entire South as a whole. It aims to give you the atmosphere of the style there, distinctive from everyone else in the country yet exotic all the same, and it delivers. That narrative is surely executed here. The trap-rap occupied compositions rains bangers galore and is befitting of what the region and its roster has partaken to in 2017 and beyond. Quavo, Takeoff, and Offset stigmatize the intense energy on this seasoned excursion with their united chemistry and undoubtedly trendy lyricism throughout it. It sounds negative whenever "mainstream" is discussed in general nowadays with music, but in this case nothing is problematic about that term when it coincides with this album at all. It's supposed to feel this way, it's supposed to eek it and it does so perfectly. This album is an utter representation of the polarizing atmosphere of rap in the South and a perfect sample size of the sound that is the future of the genre. The most mainstream content you'll listen to in 2017, and oh, how enjoyable it is.

Camila Cabello CamilaBebe Rexha All Your Fault
Various Artists SEVENTEEN: The Visual EPLupe Fiasco DROGAS Light
The Knocks TestifyNiykee Heaton The Bedroom Tour Playlist
good
Jordan M. STAFF (3.5)
Do it for the culture....

ChronicSmiler (3.5)
Skrt Skrt...

January 27th 2017

First mainstream release of 2017 and I'm excited to write my first review on a new release for the year. Getting a lot of serious hype right now this album.

Criticism, praise, thoughts on the album and artists, review thoughts are appreciated as always! Always love the community's input on my reviews.

Rigma
January 27th 2017

Good review, but I really didn't care for this album as much. I felt every aspect of the album was repetitive: the beats, the lyrics, and the flow. Not my bag.

bish im a dog, roof

Kurisu

Yeah kind of is

Album bangs

hal1ax
January 27th 2017

you make a lot of clunky generalizations.

anyway, checking this rn

hal1ax

lol fr.

and is it just me or is the first sentence of this review pretty obtuse and erroneous

January 27th 2017

"have the backing of Kanye West and helped catapult the emergence of the dominant force"

Quavo (iirc) said that Kanye has nothing to do with Migos a few days ago.

January 27th 2017

@modpack: that sentence does have a lot of validity tbh. West Coast rap does have a different sound compared to East Coast rap, and therefore are separated into their own little genres which is why I called it "sub-genres". Southern rap in it of itself is definitely a sub-genre within rap, as you can say the same with acid rap, jazz-rap, etc.

@hal1ax: The first sentence also I feel is valid. Rap, as music in general does, transports you to a city or setting and that's what Culture conveys to you with Atlanta. This feels Atlanta, and it certainly breathes it as you listen.

@TheMrAlexK: Migos is signed to GOOD Music. Kanye promoted the album as well today on a tweet.

pjorn

it indeed bangs

khaled alone makes me wanna lower this to a 3 or 2.5

review reeks of the thoughts of someone that has no idea about the scene [2]

January 27th 2017

@modpack: I've actually reviewed Gucci's content before, so wouldn't want to jump to the conclusion of that. And the sentence where I describe the lyricism has always been an integral part of my reviews, they've been apart of that for quite a while actually.

January 27th 2017

@modpack: I do agree maybe I need to select better lines to use as an example to reinforce it in that regard, I just felt with the line I put out it was great because it was during what was really the climax of "What The Price" and that's what gave it to me that "fiery" taste, but if that wasn't a good example there I'll definitely make sure to decide on better examples for the future man.

illmitch
January 28th 2017

"Four things are always consistent in the culture of rap; and that is money, flamboyant parties, women in a extremely suggestive fashion, and drugs. The thing pitting the regions of American rap culture apart is their taste for drugs. With the West Coast smoking marijuana and the East Coast cooking heroin, the South is the beaming capital in crack cocaine and its presence shadows itself around "CULTURE"."

what the actual fuck

January 28th 2017

"They're signed to Quality Control as artists and Atlantic for distribution. Their management is still GOOD Music, the backing of Kanye West is strictly management."

I stand corrected, but even then, Kanye has only been managing them for like four months, so saying he helped catapult them to success just isn't true at all.

literallyzach
January 29th 2017

"The most mainstream content you'll listen to in 2017, and oh, how enjoyable it is."

This is kind of an odd sentence and an especially strange way to end your review. I feel like you should be able to convey how enjoyable the album is through your writing rather than just explicitly stating "oh, how enjoyable it is."

nolerthebowler
January 29th 2017

Album feels aware of itself, which I like.

raindrop

Digging: Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated

January 29th 2017

"Cooking up dope in a crockpot/cooking up dope with an uzi" makes me laugh every time

ShitsofRain