Sevendust
Kill the Flaw

by pizzamachine USER (213 Reviews)
January 9th, 2017 | 9 replies

Release Date: 10/02/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "A life line abused, cut the cord, what's the use?"

Kill the Flaw is a riff fest, and one of Sevendust's top efforts. To be fair, Sevendust struggles with creating boring material (Seasons being their least moving effort). A riff fest is second nature for them, but this album checks everything on the list. The drums are amazing for starters, constantly mesmerizing. I'm a drummer myself but even I have some difficulty predicting Morgan's next intricate drum beat. Yet every beat syncs easily with melodies. Check out 'Silly Beast' as an example of a ridiculously tight song. It's a catchy album as always. 'Thank You' and 'Not Today' are perpetually in my head.

Lyrically, the album is top-notch, often confessing anger with an inability to move forward mentally. Anger drives Sevendust's music, every guitar section and drum note hits harder like an apocalypse machine, with the trademark anguished screams interlaced. It definitely gets their message across. There is a positive note though. The band urge us to overcome our obstacles, and it's pleasant hearing positive messages in such a metal setting. The only problem is it can be difficult to decipher the spoken, often mumbled words (thank goodness for lyric books). However, with Lajon's unique, fired up vocal style guiding the heart of the music, the overall package is tied together with a nice, melodic twist.

Sevendust is unbeatable in their brand of alternative metal. The riff in 'Peace and Destruction' is perfect, the drive of 'Kill The Flaw' makes a great headbanger. If one listed all the achievements in this album the read would be exhausting. But this is just Sevendust doing what they do - making other bands look bad. Now one problem remains: the agonizing wait for their next album, where they will undoubtedly tweak their style yet again. I can't wait.