White Lung
Paradise

by scooper34 USER (1 Reviews)
January 3rd, 2017 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I will give birth in a trailer

Paradise, White Lung’s fourth studio album builds excellently on their previous works to deliver an album that is both measured and wildly eclectic. Kenneth William’s guitar playing is a highlight of the album as it brings a fantastic noisy atmosphere that shapes the album. This is evident in the opening tracks of the album “Dead Weight” and “Narcoleptic”. The latter of which features heavy noise rock influences and a passage that sounds like the musical equivalent of static with a screaming guitar fighting for space with Mish-Way Barber’s soaring vocals reminiscent of the early days of Hole’s work but with a decidedly more pop-driven delivery that maintains a high emotional energy.

The track “Below” is far more somber than the opening tracks but no less engaging; it is time the album takes direct notice of its central theme of struggle with the human condition: love and loss. This theme is punctuated by explosions of fury in what is one of the album’s slower cuts.
The track blends into the poppy “Kiss Me When I Bleed”. Incredibly catchy yet focusing on the deep lows of love and heartbreak as well as including lines such as “I will give birth in a trailer” which emphasize the depraved feelings of heartbreak. Twin tracks “Demented” and “Hungry” both feature prominent post-hardcore influences but with the White Lung flair evident since their debut.

The penultimate song on the album “Vegas”, features a thrashing guitar lead with booming drums which drag the listener down into the depths of this album. The final title track “Paradise” however is far more upbeat to the point of being triumphant in the context of the album. Whereas everything has gone wrong in the context of the album’s lyrics, “Paradise” details an imperfect but loving relationship while Barber exclaims that she wants her love to “ride South” with her, suggesting happiness can be found even in the lowest of places.

The album clocks in at just under a half-hour but delivers its message concisely while staying constantly engaging and energetic. It is a punk album for the modern day; short, powerful, and just a little bit unclean.

Deep Fantasy

It's The Evil

Sorry
recommended by reviewer
Hole Pretty on the Inside

January 3rd 2017

Finally this has a review. Kiss me when I bleed and I beg you are along my fav songs of the year. They're so catchy

Digging: The National - I Am Easy to Find

January 3rd 2017

one of my favs of last year

Anthracks
January 3rd 2017

how did this not have a review? such a great and energetic release

January 3rd 2017

love the post-punk/post-hxc flashes they added in here

brandontaylor
January 3rd 2017

i wanna get into these guys' discography but im not sure where to go next. whats their best album prior to this one?

January 3rd 2017

it's the evil is their most unpolished album, definitely heavier on the noise rock influence

sorry and deep fantasy are fairly similar in their execution, and basically the bridge between it's the evil and this

Gmork89
January 4th 2017

This went under the radar in 2016 unfortunately, damn good album.

January 5th 2017

the vocals on below are so good

Chortles
January 5th 2017

much prefer all their previous stuff for some reason

January 5th 2017

i definitely prefer deep fantasy but i like this better than sorry

Essence
April 5th 2017

fucking excellent album right here, band always delivers

lilv
August 27th 2017

album really rules

Essence
March 17th 2018

still on routine jams a year later

Anthracks
October 5th 2018

5'd

Wildcardbitchesss
January 23rd 2019

Underrated album

Gmork89
January 23rd 2019

Definitely underrated, this album is damn good.