Down I Go
Witness the Shitness

by Mort. CONTRIBUTOR (55 Reviews)
December 8th, 2016 | 8 replies

The cover for Witness The ***ness looks like it was haphazardly rustled up in a few minutes, which is fair enough considering it’s for a compilation self-described as ***. Although I do think Down I Go were being a bit hard on themselves, as its obvious these tracks are meant to be taken as a bit of fun; sharing the shorter length and overtly ridiculous nature of their early output. Of the eight songs here three are demos from Tyrants and Robotcore, the other five being random snapshots from different eras in Down I Go’s career. There’s the punchy exuberance of “Dionysus” (“I am the god of wine!”), the falsetto parody of “King Herod The Great” and the strangely festive duo of “Santasauras” and “I Am Reindeer”, serving as useful reminders that no topic is off limits to Down I Go’s absurd brand of hardcore. As usual Pete Fraser lays down his eclectic vocals, shouting, squealing and gibbering his way through bite-sized morsels of the bands inane ***-abouts. They truly are ***-abouts too, with the instrumentation straying more towards the simpler side than anything compositionally complex. They’re still impressively catchy though, with a lot of interesting and predictably silly ideas crammed into one minute exercises. This brevity does have the downfall of leaving me yearning for more, but that’s a small price to pay to experience more from a band that’s one of a kind.

Kero Kero Bonito TOTEPThe Garden U Want The Scoop?
Wolf Alice Visions of a LifeSeeYouSpaceCowboy... Fashion Statements of the Socially Aware
Unsane SterilizeGeotic Neptune
good

December 8th 2016

my fourth review for this criminally overlooked band

short review for a very short comp

Digging: Xiu Xiu - Plays The Music Of Twin Peaks

calmrose

nice write-up too

Digging: PUP - Morbid Stuff

yeah you do

and cheers

MH18
December 8th 2016

''absolutely love You're Lucky God, That I Cannot Reach You, need to check the rest of their discography hard''

This applies to me 100%.

Also,nice little review Mort

calmrose
December 8th 2016

sweet, they're on Spotify, will jam soon

thanks

and yeah all their other stuff is solid as fuck, Gods is my favourite by far

MH18
December 8th 2016

Cool, will hop on that first

December 8th 2016

I must check out this band

Digging: Venom Prison - Samsara