Recondite

good

by Tristan Jones STAFF
November 19th, 2016 | 32 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: raining all the time

Recondite’s newest EP feels like a blend of full-bodied presence and mental detouring. Opener “Capable”, for example, is engaging, club-worthy acid house, but bears a feeling of being fixated on far surroundings. It’s fitting for either 124 beats-per-minute floorwork, or head-lolling relaxation. The problem is, this avatar-like absentmindedness doesn’t really waver, and is unchallenged throughout Corvus’ duration (at least, as far as the original mixes go). Lorenz Brunner’s tilt into house territory has led some to observe a sterilization of style, and, with the exception of Richard Donoso Clemency’s excellent remix of “Capable", Corvus is an expectedly cold release. It’s like if Skee Mask’s vision on Shred was a supplementary video projection in a club background. We don’t see a visionary expansion beyond his work on, say, 2013’s Hinterland, and the beats, while serviceable and catchy, are hardly Brunner’s most creative or multi-dimensional. That said, there’s something admirable in Brunner’s artistic streamlining. “Capable” and “Kauz” are fluid, efficient lead-ins to album highlight/title track “Corvus”. The track thoughtfully implements the language of crows atop the deep pulses, perhaps drawing from authors John Marzluff and Tony Angell: “So much of what we hear from crows or ravens is inexplicable. They ring like bells, drip like water, and have precise rhythm. They sing alone or in great symphonies. Some of their noise could be music.” It’s uncanny how similar Recondite’s approach is to these sentiments, as his latest effort indeed chimes, drips, and hinges on precision; it occupies spaces of both loneliness and movement en masse.

Equiknoxx Colón ManConverge The Dusk in Us
Sutekh Hexen / Hissing Sutekh Hexen / HissingScattered Purgatory Sua-Hiam-Zun
Aine O'Dwyer GallaraisArturo Stàlteri .​.​.​e il pavone parlò alla Luna
good

Ryus

love this dude

Digging: DJ Richard - Path of Ruin

November 19th 2016

i hate you because now i have to listen to it JOTS

Digging: Dark0 - Xenotype

November 19th 2016

if you want more of the same it's fine. so much stuff here sounds exactly like what he's done before. totally agree with you that corvus is the best track. overall it's just too tame.

November 19th 2016

yeah idk why i committed to reviewing this, as the whole time i basically just wanted to say "it's recondite, and it's dece tbh". does the job but i wouldnt be in a rush to show it to non-fans. it's between 2.5 - 3 for me.

MotokoKusanagi
November 19th 2016

i agree with everything you said, big fan of Recondite though

November 19th 2016

good to see that u r still around

Keyblade

can't believe it's been 3 years since Recondite

real nice review Johny

Digging: Summoning - With Doom We Come

November 19th 2016

Sweet I'll give this a listen soon, nice review

Digging: Hannah Diamond - Pink and Blue

Relinquished
November 19th 2016

good for playlists but yea

November 19th 2016

and then next one says it's good music for studying

this is good

really atmospheric stuff

November 19th 2016

brief but excellent review man

embedded track is great

Digging: Belle and Sebastian - How To Solve Our Human Problems Pt. 1

November 20th 2016

haven't been too inspired to write lengthy stuff lately, but like to stay sharp anyhoo

I can handle 5 + para reviews if it's.. idk, acad or someone

Keyblade

so...nobody reads my reviews :[

iambandersnatch
November 20th 2016

Why feature something that is a 3.0 rating?

If I see something featured I figure it's something worth my time, not something that is slightly above average. Or it's a review of an extremely highly-anticipated album that people will want to see some initial opinions on. (new Radiohead or w/e)

This is not hating on the review itself, of course. Nor is it saying that you shouldn't review something because it falls in the middle for you. Simply questioning the thought-process of the feature.

Digging: Ghost Atlas - All Is In Sync, and There's Nothing Left to Sing

November 20th 2016

1. different staff members have different standards for rating. if we only allowed, say, 3.5 and higher on the feature board, then you'd see a lot of people inflating their rating (which many people already do)

2. IMO, a 3/5 is a ~good~ album, and therefore worthwhile for fans of the style

3. as long as I try to be fair in my assessment, then you should be able to weigh whether or not it's worth listening to regardless of my rating

I had a couple other things I was going to type out but I CBA really

p4p

1959 Comments

this guy should've focused on making dancefloor cuts instead of boring albums