Fin
The Furrows of Tradition

by combustion07 USER (53 Reviews)
November 3rd, 2016 | 28 replies

Release Date: 06/05/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Top notch black metal from the frostbitten streets of Chi-town

Chicago black metallers Fin have been quite busy since their formation in 2011. Having dropped a full length every year since 2013 the band managed to find their very distinct sound at a rapid pace. Their 2014 effort Refutable Arts of the Noble Reserve easily earned its spot as one of the highlights in metal for that year and The Furrows of Tradition continued that tradition for 2015. The band also dwindled down to a duo with this release and after comparing the final product it's clear that this decision was for the best.

The Furrows of Tradition kicks right off with a flurry of barbaric melodies. From this point on the band provides very little breathing room and tramples over the listener in the most satisfying way possible. As opposed to the previous full length this one comes across with quite a bit more bite considering the relentless barrage of masterful fretwork and kit abuse. That's not to say the previous effort didn't have these attributes but it's clear when listening that Fin is tapping into their potential and becoming more and more focused and refined in the songwriting process with each release.

Tracks like "A Final Shots Report" and "Arrogance... A Bridge to Fall" drive home the warlike atmosphere intended with undeniable accuracy. The triumphant melodies spread throughout are backed by distant, tortured shrieks that will surely make you want to go out and pillage your neighborhood. All these factors make for a listening experience just as uplifting as it is pummeling. This also makes the album a good entry point for people looking to get into black metal. While The Furrows of Tradition does have a barbaric stride it isn't as nasty sounding or menacing as many of their peers. The band's incorporation of infectious melodies are attention grabbing enough to allow the musical merit to shine through even to those not into extreme music.

The Furrows of Tradition should be considered essential listening for all black metal fans. Fin has a truly unique sound and this album marks the beginning of it becoming fully realized. The album clocks in at over 50 minutes and it flies by with every listen and leaves you craving more. It's clear that this duo has a classic in them and they are on the brink of putting it together. This effort is near perfection as is and I can only foresee things getting better from here. Check out Fin, you'll feel pretty victorious after doing so.

Hatred Embraced Suffering of the HolyImperial Savagery Imperial Savagery
Ghoul Transmission ZeroBlaspherian Infernal Warriors of Death
Haeresiarchs Of Dis Denuntiatus CinisAna Kefr The Burial Tree (II)
4.2

November 3rd 2016

If you notice any grammatical errors point them out as usual.

Stream it here:

November 3rd 2016

mixing on the instruments reminds me of BAN's Saturnian Poetry. Really trebly, but this sounds better than that album.

Digging: Imha Tarikat - Kara Ihlas

November 3rd 2016

dam this sounds super good!

Out of 3 tracks I just heard it has everything I look for in bm

Wish I could have this by my subscription rather than paying for it

Pos

Digging: Karmic Juggernaut - The Dreams That Stuff Are Made Of

November 4th 2016

The 2 closing tracks on this are perfect

I agree with the rating. What's holding some of the album back from a classic is some of the middle tracks start similarly but the differences are eventually heard. If they gave each track a more unique starting and overall feel like Arrogance this could easily be a 5.

November 4th 2016

Definitely agree on that point. Some of those middle songs take a bit to gain their identity. Glad your digging it man. Refutable is worth a look since you're into this one. And I haven't gotten a chance to hear Saturnian Poetry but I'll give it a listen. The production is a bit trebly but it doesn't take much away from the listening experience for me.

November 20th 2016

needs more luv

November 20th 2016

[Riffs in Chinese]

November 21st 2016

My reviews always die a swift death lol

November 21st 2016

reviewing obscure stuff's always a crapshoot in terms of comment count.

November 21st 2016

Indeed. I'm cool with it as long as I get a few people to give it a shot I'm happy

November 21st 2016

the sad thing is I know many people who would dig this hard but they haven't commented or rated

wish there was a better way to get good music out there

November 21st 2016

I hear you on that. I push these reviews a few other places fairly successfully but sput is so active reviews get buried quick

November 21st 2016

Spam peoples' shoutboxes that's what I do.

November 21st 2016

yea maybe even make a list of missed reviews/albums you recommend

November 21st 2016

I forgot the site got shoutboxes lol I'm gonna start spamming away. The list idea is solid too although my older obscure reviews aren't so obscure anymore when everyone started digging deep into osdm. I just need to start reviewing Metallica's discography so I can gain some notoriety lol

November 21st 2016

haha might as well review some Periphery and Trivium while you're at it

emester
March 23rd 2017

Those guitar melodies are really something else

April 3rd 2017

Yes indeed. Just dropped a new track a few days back and it sounds like a solid continuation of this.

April 3rd 2017

Apparently I like this album. Will check new song hype new album album at the end of the month.

April 15th 2017

Glad you're digging it man. The slow spreading of the album continues lol. Hoping they do a tour for the new release. I feel like these guys could win over a lot of people by getting put on the right bill