Escape the Fate
Hate Me

by Snide USER (30 Reviews)
October 24th, 2016 | 43 replies

Release Date: 10/30/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I gave you bats, not butterflies

Craig Mabbitt has his work cut out for him; fronting two successful bands in the scene (Escape the Fate, The Dead Rabbitts), while also putting in time for various features, tours, and producing other bands is no easy task. When it was announced that Howard Benson would be producing Escape the Fate's new album, 'Hate Me', and how this new album would be embracing the band's softer sound inclinations, it left most devoted listeners skeptical; but this wasn’t unexpected, due to the decidedly heavier tone of The Dead Rabbitts's debut album. Despite valid initial concerns, Escape the Fate’s fifth effort is a finely produced album that ditches most of its attempts to fill their previous metalcore niche, and dives straight into unabashed, melodic rock territory.

You’re going to get three undeniable qualities with this album; infectious choruses, instrumentally competent verses leading up to said infectious choruses, and entertaining solos during the bridge before another infectious chorus. If you couldn’t tell from the repetition, this is a very hook heavy album, and the choruses are the highlight; luckily, the band delivers an addictive hook in almost every song. Songs like “Remember Every Scar”, and “Breaking Me Down” were written with the chorus in mind, and as a result they lodge in your brain like a Craig Mabbitt’s vocals are the star of the show here. He’s mostly cut back on the screaming, barring a few out of place heavier metalcore throwback tracks such as “Just A Memory”, and “Les Enfants Terribles.” It’s not that his clean vocals have necessarily improved, it’s the jump in the quality of the songwriting. Bringing fresh blood into the crew allowed for new stylistic choices, allowing the best of Craig’s vocal qualities to be pushed to the forefront. The lyricism has suffered a slightly downgrade from previous efforts, but is still serviceable enough to get the job done. Most of the songs revolve around the band’s betrayal from multiple members from the band’s inception leaving the group; otherwise they dive into subjects like alcoholism, isolation, and acceptance in a rather straightforward manner.

The musicianship is the biggest flip-around here, and is a stark contrast from the previous album’s metalcore infused riffing. The production leans more towards painting the instrumentals as a cohesive unit, rather than having each individual part stand out, which works to its advantage as everything still sounds crisp, and fresh. It’s definitely a softer and more focused experience; with less emphasis on riffing, and breakdowns, and more focus on grooves, and atmosphere. While lead guitarist newcomer Kevin Gruft may not be as technically proficient as previous guitar lead Monte Money, he’s a better songwriter; this is very apparent as the compositions are more about moving the song forward, and building the atmosphere, rather than being technical for the sake of being technical. While the bass is unfortunately mostly absent from the final mix, the rhythm arguably plays a bigger role here than the lead; Craig’s vocals mostly follow the rhythm guitar patterns, and as a result they’re the pivotal piece in this musical machine.

This record could mean one of two things for the band; either they continue to move into more mellow territory, and capitalize on their more melodic tendencies, or pull another stylistic shift on their next effort. Either way, Escape the Fate’s work will more than likely continue to impress as long as they keep playing to their strengths, and Hate Me is yet another worthy addition to a continuously solid discography.

Onision OnisionDead by April Worlds Collide
Ludwig van Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 14 in C# minor, Op. 27Soundtrack (Film) Transformers - Age of Extinction
Jeffree Star Cupcakes Taste Like Violence2814 新しい日の誕生
2.1
poor
TheCalebRobinson (1.5)
Those who were already fans of Escape the Fate will simply be disappointed, while those who didn't l...

Mason Pearmain (2.5)
Misses the mark in a few key areas but is otherwise solid...

BradleyLayne (1)
This is Escape The Fate's most rushed and architecturally artificial album to date....

"Breaking Me Down" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws5sZLWL1TU

Album slays, and it was annoying me that there wasn't a positive review up. Constructive critique always welcome!

SteakByrnes
October 24th 2016

Nice review man. I never checked this out when it came out, haven't been a fan of ETF since This War Is Ours, but I might check this out

Digging: Joji - Ballads 1

I still love His Last Walk

Digging: Lil Peep - Come Over When You're Sober Pt. 2

Storm In A Teacup
October 24th 2016

thought they broke up like ten years ago lol

bentheREDfan
October 24th 2016

Pos for sure dude, good review!

Never could get into these guys though, I was a little surprised when I saw such a high rating from you. But props for putting up a positive review in all the negative ones.

October 24th 2016

Nice review, but this album is bad. I will always love His Last Walk and Dying is Your Latest Fashion.

TheRhapsodyOfKira
October 24th 2016

Good review snide, but this band is terrible. The only good thing they have done is the song: This war is ours, the rest has been lol bad

October 24th 2016

Everyone in this thread who hasn't should check this album out, it's really bombastic fun.

Thanks for the praise guys!

October 24th 2016

Snide this album is about as fun as going to Chuck E Cheese as an adult

October 24th 2016

Once I get a house, I will rent a bounce house to go in my backyard. Bounce Houses are awesome.

October 24th 2016

Unreal, I actually can't believe you just said that because I was originally going to say that this album is about as fun as being an adult in a bounce house ...

October 24th 2016

>Implying being an adult in a bounce house isn't fun.

Bruh, being in a bounce house is fun as fuck, doing flips and all that good shit. I'm only 23 so I'm barely an adult, but still.

October 24th 2016

I'm almost 23, I guess being in a bounce house would be pretty fun if I was pretty lit

October 24th 2016

You don't even need to be intoxicated to have fun in a bounce house, just grab a couple friends, and jump around (bounce house karate is lit, just beat the shit out of several friends while they do the same to you)

TheFirstTimHurst
October 24th 2016

I love this band with Craig. The songs are fun and catchy; the album is decent. I wish more people still liked them.

KenboSlice

2015 Comments

"and it was annoying me that there wasn't a positive review up."

Prolly cuz it sucks bruh

October 24th 2016

Snide, snide, snide, there are few activities that are fun without being mildly intoxicated and bounce houses are not one of them. Escape the Fate is also not one of them.

October 24th 2016

Escape the Fate isn't a band I listen to for fun. Craig era ETF is one of my favorite bands.

Krvst
October 24th 2016

Sounds far too edgy for me

Digging: Architects - Holy Hell

TheSpirit
October 24th 2016

Ronnie-era is easily better, but Craig-era does have some of my favorite songs by them.

Digging: Deceased - Ghostly White