Ichiko Aoba

by Time (Is) STAFF
October 19th, 2016 | 136 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Taking the veil

Identity in music is an important part of an artist’s image. It can sell the concept of what they’re about, who they are, and what they wish to achieve with their work. In most cases, musicians usually opt for a portrait to grace their album covers. Ichiko Aoba, however, seems reclusive in comparison. Previous efforts all featured either art, pictures or simplistic colored covers instead of her portrait. From the looks of it, it came across as if Aoba wasn’t one to bare her identity to a large audience unless she was performing. Yet, with her most recent endeavor, Mahoroboshiya, we find Aoba evolving not only as an artist, but as a composer and perhaps as a performer as well. The cover gives puts forth an idea that Aoba has grown more confident in her abilities as an artist, although her obscured face hiding in the darkness shows that she isn’t quite there yet. A near-combination of “illusion” (Maboroshi) and “destruction” (Horoboshi), Mahoroboshiya is Ichiko Aoba’s destruction of her previous sound. With such albums like 0, 0% and Origami, Aoba created an illusion that put her music across as being very sparse and atmospheric. Yet these albums were complete with incredibly complex guitar work that consistently improved with each album she did. To approach Mahoroboshiya, one must discard any expectations of it sounding like any of her past works, though it’s not to say she has abandoned the ethos of what made her music so intriguing and challenging.

In the introductory prelude, ”The End”, Aoba immediately showcases a firm confidence in her vocal ability, and it’s here that it’s evident that the production value of Mahoroboshiya is at a higher standard than that of other albums, with the presence of double tracked vocals and reverberation. I know it’s not much, but for someone whose music has been incredibly bare and intimate, it comes as a surprise to hear studio effects of any kind on Aoba’s works. With ”Yusagi” and ”Mahoroboshiya”, Aoba immediately retreats back into a comfortably familiar sound that is the closest she comes to her past material, yet the production adds to the intimacy of the compositions, allowing them room to breathe and creating an relaxed, ethereal vibe that is consistent throughout the thirty-five minutes of Mahoroboshiya. On the opposite end of the spectrum lies the triad of what is the starkest contrast to the work Aoba has committed to tape; with the jaunty ”Taiyou-san”, the bleak piano instrumental ”Kounotori” and the heavenly choral standout ”Kami-sama no Takurami” providing an idea to what direction Aoba could head toward in the future. As with her other works, attention to detail plays an important role in her compositions and serve to add to the mood of her music, yet also aims to challenge listeners with its classically-influenced songwriting. Whereas on 0 and 0% it showcased Aoba performing her most complex songs yet, Mahoroboshiya is almost seemingly accessible in comparison.

Mahoroboshiya, a loose combination of the words “destruction” and illusion”, serve to put forth the idea that Ichiko Aoba seeks to cast aside the veil (or illusion) that covered her past works and her identity not only as an artist, but as a person. She aims to destroy what could be seen as her lack of confidence with the increased focus on her vocals, and the near-abandonment of field recordings, which permeated her repertoire to this point. Instead of a picture or a simplistic colored cover, Aoba chose to grace the incredibly dim cover; yet with her face slightly obscured, it feels as if she is still hesitant to fully bare her abilities and her own self to her audience for the time being. Yet, with Mahoroboshiya, Aoba has made a start in showing her true self.

Flying Lotus FlamagraXiu Xiu Girl with Basket of Fruit

Ichiko Aoba 0%
Ichiko Aoba 0

hi

"Yusagi/Mahoroboshiya" - https://vimeo.com/187420826

really happy with this album

Jasdevi087

Also nice, concise review

October 19th 2016

"Isn't it gonna make everyone's life easier if we romanise the album title instead of having it in katakana (and the same for her other albums too?)"

I suppose it wouldn't hurt, but I've seen so many different translations for the titles that I don't want to risk putting an inaccurate translation in, plus people have been able to add these to lists without issue (if we ignore having to copy paste it in) so it's up to whoever feels it needs changed.

and thanks, it's such a nice little album

Mort.

Good review man posd

Digging: Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness

Ovrot

does it have riffs

dimsim3478
October 19th 2016

I've seen so many different translations for the titles that I don't want to risk putting an inaccurate translation in, plus people have been able to add these to lists without issue [2]

TVC15
October 19th 2016

So where and how can I listen to this?

bnelso55

So where and how can I listen to this?[2]
I'm excited to hear this. She's done some brilliant stuff. Landing the complete 0% live album is a long-held goal of mine.

ramon.
October 19th 2016

*proceeds to edit artist name with kanji*

so hyped for this; So where and how can I listen to this? [2]

to make it easier

Sinternet

19985 Comments

oh god it took me ages to figure out that lowercase L in the key wasn't a capital i

DrGonzo1937
October 19th 2016

Will have to check this. Great review, have a pos.

Digging: Slipknot - We Are Not Your Kind

DrGonzo1937
October 19th 2016

There anywhere I can stream this sucker?

TVC15
October 19th 2016

It says the file is no longer available

Mystletainn
October 19th 2016

I know what i'm listening to today

a review already? damn

October 19th 2016

this's been seedin on slsk or a while now, whats the problem yall

ArsMoriendi
October 19th 2016

Why isn't the album cover just 1 solid color?

Digging: The Beta Band - Champion Versions

adr

12006 Comments

"this's been seedin on slsk or a while now, whats the problem yall"

no it's not

October 19th 2016

i literally am seedin it rn, that's where i first got it too