Antestor
Martyrium

by CaliggyJack USER (76 Reviews)
October 13th, 2016 | 9 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Faith can be a heavy burden to bare.

Christian Black Metal paragons Antestor have had a storied history in the CBM sphere. Despite only releasing four albums at this point in time, the band have amassed a large following and major acclaim from CBM critics. Martyrium is an interesting album because, despite it being recorded way back in 1994, it was the second album Antestor would release. Even now, Martyrium remains one of the quintessential CBM albums of all time. From its pulsating drums, to its Progressive Doom structures, to its choirs and devotion to God; Martyrium became a cult classic during its bootleg years and a commercial success when it was released in 2000.

One of the standout tracks of the album is Depressed, a beautifully somber track with Progressive Guitar riffs and a simple piano chord; with this comes a chorus from the band members, which eventually builds into the screeching from Martyr (Kjetil Molnes), who provides a brilliant atmosphere of holy decay. The guitars are one of the most prominent pieces here, with Vemod's (Lars Stokstad) simple string pieces in Martyrium building a simple yet impactful emotive response within the three minute song. Other cool pieces are Vemod's use of Keyboards and Synthesizers, creating a certain Medieval vibe in the track Thoughts.

Antestor's Christianity feature prominently in certain pieces. With Depressed being a shining example as Martyr screams for Jesus' help in overcoming his innermost darkness. Martyrium's Christianity is not entirely dark, but more or less gray. It retains stylistically dark influences, like its heavy riffing and screeching, but also leaves moments for somber tones like keyboards, pianos, and sung vocals. In that way, Martyrium is about the piercing fires of light fighting against an encroaching darkness that seems unstoppable.

Martyrium was simply a start for this CBM band, but it has since been regarded as one of the most important CBM releases of all time and for good reason. It was a beautiful piece of Black and Doom Metal that evoked emotions of fear, love, loneliness, faith, hate, and redemption. From its breathtaking instrumentation, to its emotion and ingenuity, Martyrium remains the album that most CBM records are measured against, and one of the greatest CBM records of all time.

Whitehouse Asceticists 2006Lostprophets The Betrayed
Feeling B Die Maske des Roten TodesThe Moody Blues On the Threshold of a Dream
Kansas Song for AmericamessFX Motherboard
kingdedethefifth (4.5)
A blessed contradiction to the original purpose of black metal....

October 13th 2016

A short review for today, but I definitely needed to talk about this band.

Friday13th
October 13th 2016

Nice review. I do like this, though the singing quality is a bit iffy. It tries to go for that ancient, gregorian vibe but...idk it's okay. I think you'd definitely like Extol's first two albums.

Digging: Duke Ellington - The Far East Suite

kingdedethefifth
October 13th 2016

I'm still utterly divided about the idea of christian black metal. It's just so oddly contradictory to the aesthetic, although I will still definitely give this a try. Good review man.

October 13th 2016

I don't feel Genre's have to be anything other than a different type of music. I don't rely on clothing, ideals, or any other thing like that. So I don't mind.

That and I am a Christian, so I probably don't get it.

kingdedethefifth
October 13th 2016

I mean it's just the tradition and origin associated with black metal really. I also might not understand because I am atheist and although I don't project this I am pretty anti-christian. I mostly believe in LaVeyan satanism (which isn't honestly bad at all when you look into it

Friday13th
October 13th 2016

If I were an atheist I would just simplify my life and be a nihilist...but whatever bro. Do as thou wilt ;)

October 13th 2016

Meh, I don't hate Anti-Christian's. I'd never be able to relax in life if I did.

October 13th 2016

Nice review pos. This was thankfully on Apple Music so I added it to my library to listen to later.

someguest