Coil
The Ape Of Naples

by Aaron W. STAFF
September 29th, 2016 | 103 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Does death come alone or with eager reinforcements?

Personally, I've had very little experience with Coil. The London-based industrial/experimental avant-garde duo have always eluded me, and in due part to my own laziness, I hardly know much about them aside from this particular release. Released well over a decade ago on the English/Thai-based label Threshold House, The Ape of Naples was the result of a decade of long-discarded songs and was compiled from various sessions for several of Coil's projects, mainly the shelved 1993 album Backwards, 1991's Love's Secret Domain, and other EPs and live recordings.

It is often said that The Ape of Naples is heavily dominated by electronics, from the instrumentation to the digital manipulation of John Balance's vocals, as such as in "Heaven's Blade", which creatively time-stretches and obscures Balance's vocal over a glitchy beat; or in "It's In My Blood", where the use of time-stretching adds an air of tension over Balance's demented vocal and the eerie strings that occupy the song. Sampling, like with most Coil recordings, plays a huge part in The Ape of Naples and are used to add an morbidly downbeat atmosphere to the songs, especially in the sampling of Balance's final performance with Coil in the closing track, "Going Up" (a cover of the theme tune of the late night PBS rerun regular "Are You Being Served"", sung by Fran├žois Testory).

The instrumentation of the album is one of its assets, thanks in no part to regular Coil collaborators Thighpaulsandra, Cliff Stapleton and Tom Edwards, who assisted Peter "Sleazy" Chistopherson in creating the gloomy vibe that permeates the songs of The Ape of Naples. The ethereal, despondent mood of The Ape of Naples comes across incredibly clear not only in its composition, but in its sparse lyricism as well, whether it be the yearning of death on "Heaven's Blade", with the refrain of "Just cut yourself with Heaven's blade" while Balance proclaims he is "not afraid" to figure out what's on the other side after death; or the primal human urges Balance puts across with the cries of "Man is the animal" on opener "Fire of the Mind". From the lyrics alone, it becomes clear death, and life after death are major themes of the album, and are all but confirmed with "Going Up" essentially being Balance's ascension to the next life, obscured bootleg live performance audio and all.

Xiu Xiu Girl with Basket of FruitPaddy McAloon I Trawl The Megahertz
Keith Fullerton Whitman GeneratorTim Hecker Konoyo
Animal Collective Tangerine ReefBoris Akuma no Uta
4.2
ThroneOfAgony (5)
Coil's last album, and while it might not be for casual listeners, it's still a quintessential Coil ...

man is the animal

The Ape of Naples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0x77EdoXhw

Digging: Jason Molina - Pyramid Electric Co.

Pheromone

gd album gd review

gd

Digging: Klaatu - 3:47 Est

thak

laughingman22
September 29th 2016

Best album around. coil discography is huge but worth the exploration

AsleepInTheBack
September 29th 2016

is this a good record to get into these guys with?

Polyethylene
September 29th 2016

Awesome, I loved Horse Rotorvator (the only album of theirs I have checked)

NeroCorleone80

check Scatology

September 29th 2016

"is this a good record to get into these guys with?"

I'd say so, but def check their first few. Need to fix the band's page on here again, so many misplaced albums.

AsleepInTheBack

Flugmorph

20761 Comments

call me

"

Scatology rules, this album's probably aight. Can't wait to listen to in almost a year. ;)"

you're waiting a year to listen to a classic, jokes on you buddy :p

iloveyouall
September 29th 2016

dude cheeky plug right here right now

ay i planned on it

https://eoizine.wordpress.com/2016/09/29/coil-the-ape-of-naples/ (originally written for the zine, has a bit extra on it since it was originally meant to be a short review for the vinyl reissue)

TVC15
September 30th 2016

Was listening to this last night, extremely beautiful album

Digging: Dexys Midnight Runners - Too-Rye-Ay

damn right it is

iloveyouall
September 30th 2016

I should listen to this again lol

k