Styx
Styx

by CaliggyJack USER (87 Reviews)
September 18th, 2016 | 33 replies

Release Date: 1972 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The debut by Styx remains a highlight of their discography and one of the best Progressive Rock albums of the early 1970's.

Nowadays forgotten in the lost pieces of 70's Rock history. Styx have left a transparent yet permanent mark on the face of 70's Rock. Known for their eclectic instrumentals and solos, crazy epics, and troubled decline in popularity; Styx may have gotten the short end of the stick now, but their history is still talked about in Prog Rock circles today.

Their self-titled debut is on the list of overlooked Styx albums, as it received mixed critical reception when it came out and muted fan reception now. I don't understand why, because this is an amazing record. We start the record off with the 13-minute epic Movement For The Common Man. This track is by far the most important track on the entire record. It features an outrageous amount of instruments and multiple changes in rhythm. From it's guitar focused beginning, to its general descent into synthesizers and heavy guitar riffing. One has to admire the talents they apply to the keyboard, as so many different digital instruments are used it can be hard to categorize each one. Lyrically, the song features talk of philosophy, and delving into atmosphere as the vocalist begins to talk about nature and the beauty of the sun. Somewhere in the middle of the song, the music stops and we are left with casual conversations from normal people over certain topics from welfare, to the current generation's attitude on hygiene. Movement For The Common Man expresses a jovial love and admiration for the power of normal people, one it uses to enthrall us in the potential of the human spirit.

After that fantastic beginning, the band begin to focus on normal songs. Right Away features a heavy emphasis on bass, with Chuck Panozzo taking center stage alongside the vocals and Dennis DeYoung's synthesizers. What Has Come Between Us starts off with a tense piano and guitar sequence as it quickly changes into a more soft guitar sound as the vocals slowly serenade us with talk of memory and love. From its quality of sound to its subtle use of synths and drums, What Has Come Between Us remains my personal favorite track on the album.

Continuing on, we get to Best Thing, a track with the drums taking the center stage. The way with which John Panozzo maintains such rhythm is awe inspiring, and the chorus is the best in this track. Quick is The Beat of My Heart maintains a more stripped down feel, beginning with heavy riffs and press picks; it doesn't utilize synths until a bit down the road, but when it does, it is excellent. After You Leave Me features a simple guitar start as snare drums begin to provide atmosphere to the track, with the vocals putting the cherry on top of this brilliant cake. The guitar is by far the best on this track, with John Curulewski and James Young producing solid riffs as the vocals take a more unrefined approach, creating a more Hard Rock sound than previous tracks.

With Styx's debut, Styx established their quality of sound, eclectic level of instruments, and eccentric organization of rhythms. A Prog Rock juggernaut for its time, Styx's debut remains one of the bands best efforts, and reminds me of why this band was one of the best in its class. It is a little unfortunate that Styx isn't really placed along the same category as bands like Kansas, King Crimson, or Pink Floyd, as they certainly deserve it. For now, I suppose appreciating their music and understanding their history is good enough tribute to a band that deserves much more.

Andy Black The Ghost of OhioYuka Kitamura Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (Soundtrack)
Motoi Sakuraba and Yuka Kitamura Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First SinMotoi Sakuraba Dark Souls Soundtrack
Adema Insomniac's DreamDream Machine The Illusion
good

September 18th 2016

so this is terrible right

Digging: Doopees - Doopee Time

September 18th 2016

^ most likely yea. also one review per day please.

CaliggyJack

LOL

Check the dates on both my reviews please. I am well aware of the rule.

Sinternet

20299 Comments

'Styx'

im betting this is a hard 1.5

Digging: Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell

which you still do.

September 18th 2016

"well you should know then that what the 'one review per day' really means is 'do not post a review if you already have one of your own in the front page'."

that's not how it works

September 18th 2016

it sort of does tho, it's a courtesy thing lol.

Mort.
September 18th 2016

the whole site disagrees on this

personally i think its fine if you have 2 reviews on the front page, as long as they are at least a day apart

sput has slow as fuck days sometimes, the more reviews the quicker things moves. its better

Digging: Prefab Sprout - From Langley Park To Memphis

JJKeys

September 19th 2016

Daniel, who gives a shit, and what do you care.

LotusFlower

12001 Comments

these guys are arguably one of the worst prog rock bands to ever live.

renegade is a jam tho

September 19th 2016

"Daniel, who gives a shit, and what do you care."

chill

September 19th 2016

thought it was a chill comment, who cares, live and let live, if somebody wants to review a shit album a day after another one, who are we to judge, not like he did 20, and it was done respectfully

Friday13th
September 19th 2016

idc what you guys say, I jam me some Grand Illusion now and then XD Looks interesting. I should check early Styx at least for the lols. I'll stack it next to my Kansas, Starcastle, and Journey AOR, American faux prog.

Digging: Tool - Fear Inoculum

facupm

good band

TheIntruder
September 19th 2016

Agree with Friday. Styx is a good band. Their albums The Grand illusion and Pieces of Eight have some great stuff. But I disagree with a 4.5 to this album.

e210013
September 19th 2016

I agree. Styx is a good band and they made some great stuff.

September 19th 2016

Styx is fine arena rock band, nothing too serious should not get above a 3 on any album really, have heard this once I think, alittle closer to prog than future albums

e210013
September 19th 2016

I disagree. At least "Equinox", "The Grand Illusion" and "Pieces Of Eight" are better than 3.0.

TheIntruder